Unfair question.

schlot

It's probably an unfair question but here it goes anyway.

I'm looking at a fall 2016 sailing on the Devina. As a person who has enjoyed two Princess cruises so far and one on Holland America not as much, what would I expect to find on MSC as opposed to my other cruises?

Are they more similar than different?

Ports of call, service, qualty of food (obviously subjective) and a nice ship are what we enjoy about Princess.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at a fall 2016 sailing on the Devina. As a person who has enjoyed two Princess cruises so far and one on Holland America not as much, what would I expect to find on MSC as opposed to my other cruises?

Ports of call, service, qualty of food (obviously subjective) and a nice ship are what we enjoy about Princess.

Thanks in advance.

The Divina will be the most beautiful ship you have been on, entertainment is top notch and we enjoyed the food on the Divina more than any other line. Enjoy.

I agree with riclop,the Divina is a very classy lady. I found the food to be excellent,with many delicious choices. The shows are not to be missed. My 8 .year old grandson loved the shows and looks forward to seeing them on our next cruise next year. I have been on Holland America 3 rimes,but only once for the eastern caribbean on Spring Break,which had far less children then western caribbean spring break on Divina.My grandson had a blast in the kids club. Our sole purpose for booking Divina JUNE 2016 is to share our experience with grandpa,who wasn't able to go on the last Divina cruise.

Thanks in advance.

More info is needed:-

(I've expanded the horizons a bit for you to include options other than Miami on Divina)

Do you know about the "experiences"?

if not see this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2224649#

info required

eg

a) region you have cruised eg Alaska (MSC don't cruise there so port comparison is impossible)

b) where you are likely to cruise:- are you considering US based cruising or European cruises.

US is only out of Miami (Divina) or the Antilles caribbean cruising on (Orchestra/Poesia)

c) ships you have cruised on (HAL only have medium sized ships)

If you are going to cruise US/ Caribbean you will be limited to 2 ships Divina (large) or 2015/6 Orchestra replaced by Poesia 2016/7(Winter only , medium sized) and in 2017 a third, Seaside (large)

If you want exceptional, personal, butler service you wil have to opt for the Yacht Club on Divina or Seaside

check out these links for itineraries

2015/2016 brochure

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/95eda52a#/95eda52a/1

2016/2017 brochure

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/cdada52e#/cdada52e/100

Pete

Nothing "unfair" about the question at all. It's a bit daunting trying out a different product for the first time and when you're investing precious time, money and other resources into something, you at least want to be assured that you've done all you can to get as much information as possible to at least make an informed decision.

However, there are so many factors at play and most are down to personal tastes! Is the food, entertainment, service (a) bad (b) good © great? You'll find as many people answering (a) as (b) as ©, so, where does that leave you?

I can't speak for Divina as I've haven't sailed her yet. Nor have I experienced MSC in the Caribbean where they are a little more Americanised in their approach re food, entertainment and service - at least, that's the impression I get from reading Divina reviews.

I haven't sailed on Princess or HAL so can't comment on differences between them and MSC, either.

I have sailed on Divina's 3 sister ships. They are beautiful, spotlessly clean, very classy and are very European in design and approach to customer service, food preparation and entertainment. They are also the largest in the fleet so there could be 3500+ onboard at capacity.

I would advise that you read reviews, especially from fellow Americans, as to what their experiences are and weigh up the things that would be a cause of concern and dismiss the negative views that wouldn't be of issue to you.

Best of luck in your decision-making! :)

Thanks everyone.

We are looking at a Caribbean cruise, hitting some areas that we haven't yet. We were on Princess ships on eastern and western Caribbean cruises.

I started reading about the different "levels" on skier52's post. Interesting way to approach adding to the experience. Seemed a bit confusing at first.

I really enjoyed the Princess ships because they were clean and tasteful but yet felt like you were still on a ship. I worry about larger ships because from what I've seen, it looks more like a resort. I wonder if that would be a problem with Divina?

For us the fun is getting to the ports and experiencing what different areas of the world are like (to the short degree we can).

Although I'm sure we would enjoy the shows it's not very important to us. But conversely the food is very much part of the vacation for us. Like it was said, taste in food is very subjective.

We aren't uptight so I'm sure any minor differences won't make a difference, but for us it's a good size investment so I want to be careful.

Thanks everyone.

We are looking at a Caribbean cruise, hitting some areas that we haven't yet. We were on Princess ships on eastern and western Caribbean cruises.

I started reading about the different "levels" on skier52's post. Interesting way to approach adding to the experience. Seemed a bit confusing at first.

I really enjoyed the Princess ships because they were clean and tasteful but yet felt like you were still on a ship. I worry about larger ships because from what I've seen, it looks more like a resort. I wonder if that would be a problem with Divina?

For us the fun is getting to the ports and experiencing what different areas of the world are like (to the short degree we can).

Although I'm sure we would enjoy the shows it's not very important to us. But conversely the food is very much part of the vacation for us. Like it was said, taste in food is very subjective.

We aren't uptight so I'm sure any minor differences won't make a difference, but for us it's a good size investment so I want to be careful.

To be hon est with you rhe Divina did get very crowded on sea days. I usually cruise for the itinerary as we only take one vacation a year,but The Divina is just so wonderful that I had to share the experience with DH. I have been on 30 cruises on almost all the lines except Princess.

To be hon est with you rhe Divina did get very crowded on sea days. I usually cruise for the itinerary as we only take one vacation a year,but The Divina is just so wonderful that I had to share the experience with DH. I have been on 30 cruises on almost all the lines except Princess.

That is something that I didn't feel on the Ruby or Caribbean Princess. Lots of public space...or it seemed so.

Thanks everyone.

Here is a link to my review of a Mediteranean cruise in the Yacht Club of Divina, and at the end it has a link to a good many images of other areas of the ship.

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=4472

The ship is stunning, kept spotlessly clean and the decor is very stylish as you would expect from the Italians.

tHe entertainment was the best I've ever seen on board a ship.

The food I had would be different to that offered now as it has been americanised.

You won't feel crowded in the Yacht Club as it has approx 5% of the ship (mostly at the front) for 0.04% of the guests (140 out of 3500- 4300)

As an interesting point it was cheaper for me to have a YC 1 cabin (which comes all inclusive) than to have a Balcony cabin and purchase the AI package. I saved £60 ($90) per person by doing that and had all the added extras as well.

This was before the experiences selling system came into being. I'm not saying that that sort of bargain can be had again but it does well to look at the total cost when comparing options on the pricing structure.

Pete