cruise check in at miami Airport.. luggage??

I have done a search and cannot find an answer to this. We are flying into Miami to cruise in September. I have read that you can now check in for the cruise at the airport... my question is.. do you check your luggage in there? And they take it on to the ship??or do you take it with you... thanks for any input on this

Carnival guests who fly in through*Miami International Airport*and sail from either the Port of Miami or Port Everglades, now can check-in for their cruise at the airport.

We are leasing two counters at Concourses ‘D’ and ‘H’ on the day of sailing for this function.

Here is how it works…

Guests retrieve their luggage at baggage claim and are directed to their corresponding check-in counter at Concourse ‘D’ or ‘H’, based on flight arrivals.

Guests check-in for their cruise, receive a Sail & Sign card and a boarding card that reads ‘Airport Express’ so that we can easily identify them when they arrive at the cruise terminal.

Guests who wish to use cash for their Sail & Sign deposit will be instructed to stop by one of the cruise terminal check-in counters or use an on board Sail & Sign kiosk.

Guests who did not pre-purchase our optional transportation service are given the option to purchase transfers to the pier during their check-in process.Guests must take their luggage with them whether using our transportation service or other means.

When guests arrive at the pier, they are directed to our ‘Airport Express’ security lane for a quick photo ID check and Sail & Sign check.Next, embarkation pictures, A-pass and boarding!

Hours of operation for airport check-in:*8:00am-2:00pm (on the day of sailing)

It's been my experience that a lot of times it's quicker to check in at the port as there are typically only 3-4 people working the counter. I did it once when I had to wait a couple hours at MIA for my friends so we could take a taxi to the port. In that time I got to see the chaos that was the transfer service. So many people and the bus didn't leave until it was pretty full. So if you just missed one, you had quite a wait for the next one. It's cheaper and a lot less hassle to just take a cab to the port for $27 or whatever it is directly there.

As far as going to MIA to check in like from a hotel, I wouldn't do it. If you are flying in the same day and there isn't a line, sure why not? Otherwise just head to the ship.

How can they give you sail and sign cards at the airport? Aren't those all printed ahead of time?

We are flying to MIA for the Glory in 2 months, but are platinum...trying to figure out if this is a better option than the standard check-in.

How can they give you sail and sign cards at the airport? Aren't those all printed ahead of time?

We are flying to MIA for the Glory in 2 months, but are platinum...trying to figure out if this is a better option than the standard check-in.

Yes but they can also print them at the airport. It's not a better option unless there is no line. You also have to fly in the day of the sailing or go back to the airport which would be a waste of time.

Yes but they can also print them at the airport. It's not a better option unless there is no line. You also have to fly in the day of the sailing or go back to the airport which would be a waste of time.

Thanks for the info :)

Since I use carry on luggage and usually take the earliest nonstop out of LGA the morning of the cruise, I have found the check in procedure at MIA to be quick and simple.

I arrive at the counter while others from my flight are standing at the carousel. No Line, no hassle. Once at the port, I can wait in the platinum room/area until boarding if necessary.

I've never heard of this. Is this a new thing? Do you need to sign up ahead of time? Is there a free shuttle to the port then?

No, it's not new, no you don't sign up, no it's not a free shuttle. It's simply a small desk that you can check in and get your S&S card. When you get to the port you still drop your luggage with the porters, show your S&S card and ID to the people at the door and security to prove you are who you are, go through the metal detectors, and wait in the waiting room just like everyone else.

Edited by firemanbobswife

No, it's not new, no you don't sign up, no it's not a free shuttle. It's simply a small desk that you can check in and get your S&S card. When you get to the port you still drop your luggage with the porters, show your S&S card and ID to the people at the door and security to prove you are who you are, go through the metal detectors, and wait in the waiting room just like everyone else.

Interesting. Thank you!

If you are Platinum, does it work the same way? Or do you still go to a Platinum lounge? And where would you go if you don't go to the lounge?

If you are Platinum, does it work the same way? Or do you still go to a Platinum lounge? And where would you go if you don't go to the lounge?

It's identical procedures upon arrival to the port for Diamond/Platinum/FTTF, regular folks. The only differences are they do have a "Priority" line at the airport when you're waiting to check in, but when I did it, it really didn't matter as they took a couple non Priority folks in front of me. I was pretty agitated. And you don't have to wait in line for your S&S card when you get there (to the port). Otherwise no one even knows you already checked in. It's of no real benefit IMHO as long as you arrive to the port on time.

Edited by firemanbobswife

And as I posted. I had no line and no hassle at the MIA airport check in, so it may all be timing. I do recall at least 6 Carnival attendants and being platinum, I was checked in with no more than a 2 minute line wait. I was probably there around 9:45AM, way early, and before the main influx of cruisers. No one on my flight was checking in, although I did see some of them waiting at the carousel for their luggage to appear.

Next cruise, if it's as busy as firemansbobwife experience, I'll skip the airport checking and just go straight to the platinum lounge at the pier. Otherwise, I will use the MIA airport check in again.

And as I posted. I had no line and no hassle at the MIA airport check in, so it may all be timing. I do recall at least 6 Carnival attendants and being platinum, I was checked in with no more than a 2 minute line wait. I was probably there around 9:45AM, way early, and before the main influx of cruisers. No one on my flight was checking in, although I did see some of them waiting at the carousel for their luggage to appear.

Next cruise, if it's as busy as firemansbobwife experience, I'll skip the airport checking and just go straight to the platinum lounge at the pier. Otherwise, I will use the MIA airport check in again.

I arrived at like 8AM because my flight that left the night before got cancelled so they routed us through CLT. But all the flights going in and out of there were delayed because of severe weather so I had to stay overnight in CLT and they put me on the first flight to MIA. Luckily I knew all this before I left so was able to switch my hotel reservations from MIA to CLT. It was a true nightmare. I had less than 4 hours of sleep and my plane left at 6:30AM. Didn't get to my hotel until after midnight. Ugh.

I had a few hours wait for my friends to meet me there so we could take a cab to the port. I sat right by the AA area Carnival check in and got to see the whole spectrum from no one in line to people waiting out into the main walkway towards the baggage claim. I got in line eventually when there were only like 3 couples waiting and I was the only one in the Priority lane since I had a ton of time to kill. There were 3 employees working the desks.

I agree that timing is everything. You may also have less of a wait since it's not so busy by the Delta counter vs the AA one which is where the majority of the people go due to the sheer number of flights that use AA/USAir and MIA being a main hub for them.