Is there a rental car counter close by Los Angeles cruise terminal?

starfish54

According to Budget, the closest counter is 5 miles away with no easy access from port, what do fellow cruiser do when they rent a car and have to drop it off (or pick it up) when arriving or embarking from Los Angeles pier?

I drive from home to the port but have read posts from passengers who said that Enterprise will pick you up & drop you off at the Port of LA cruise ship terminal.

The port's website confirms that Enterprise is in San Pedro where the port is located.

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation/cruises.asp

What rental car companies service the World Cruise Center?

Enterprise Rent-A-Car operates a location near the World Cruise Center, and offers free customer pick-ups and drop-offs to the terminal. This convenient location is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and on Saturday on Sunday, from 9 a.m. to noon. To book a reservation, call (310) 548-8060, or visit http://www.enterprise.com.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

235 W. 6th Street

San Pedro, CA 90731

That is less than a mile away & is near the Crowne Plaza hotel.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks! Checking with them now.

How much is the taxi cost expected to/from Los Angeles cruise terminal to LAX or LGB airports? I just thought $90 for family of 3, one way shuttle to be pretty pricey.

Edited by starfish54

I found this on the Princess website: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel.jsp#Port-Driving_Directions

FROM/TO LAX Airport / San Pedro Pier DISTANCE & TIME 18 Miles - - 35-50 minutes TAXI FARE* $35 - $40

I use Prime Time Shuttle & it shows $48 for 3 from LAX to the LA cruise ship terminal. Long Beach (LGB) is closer but has many fewer flight options & if like Burbank (BUR) is many times more expensive.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I found this on the Princess website: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel.jsp#Port-Driving_Directions

FROM/TO LAX Airport / San Pedro Pier DISTANCE & TIME 18 Miles - - 35-50 minutes TAXI FARE* $35 - $40

Wow,

Thank you! That's big savings. Does Celebrity use San Pedro too?

Celebrity wants $30/pp for LAX and $22/pp for LGB, regardless of age.

Edited by starfish54

I believe they do & that only Carnival uses LB (Princess occasionally when in transit)...what date because I recently found a site for cruise ship berths at the Port of LA.

Here's that website:

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

Price is the same for over 2 & free for under 2.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yesterday the OP began a thread about sailing Carnival's Imagination (on the Carnival forum) on that date which sails a 3 day cruise from LB. Apparently they are confused today about it being a Celebrity cruise because Celebrity does not sail from the LA area through at least November 2016.

But I'm confused about why the OP has 2 threads about the same dates & on 2 different cruise lines. :confused:

The Carnival site says LA but it's actually from Long Beach.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yesterday the OP began a thread about sailing Carnival's Imagination (on the Carnival forum) on that date which sails a 3 day cruise from LB. Apparently they are confused today about it being a Celebrity cruise because Celebrity does not sail from the LA area through at least November 2016.

But I'm confused about why the OP has 2 threads about the same dates & on 2 different cruise lines. :confused:

The Carnival site says LA but it's actually from Long Beach.

I am so sorry everyone, it's Carnival, not Celebrity! :( I apologize for the confusion.

Astro, this thread was meant for rental information for the port area, and the other one was for specific carnival, in fact I also mentioned in that thread if I should start a new one for rental info in LAX/LGB area. I don't think we discussed rental info in that thread, but I know in this thread we somehow got into discussing ship.

So, I'd like to correct, it is not Celebrity (Thank the wife for nagging me "Isn't there any celebrity in august a few times), it is Carnival.

PS: I booked my rental for picking up my car on 8/16 at their 333 EAST OCEAN BOULEVARD location, hopefully it's not terribly far.

PPS: I want to start a thread on parking a vehicle in long beach area, unless you guys can help me here, 2nd family will arrive from Las Vegas in their car on 8/13, so they need to park for 3 nights in port area.

Edited by starfish54

I am so sorry everyone, it's Carnival, not Celebrity! :( I apologize for the confusion.

Astro, this thread was meant for rental information for the port area, and the other one was for specific carnival, in fact I also mentioned in that thread if I should start a new one for rental info in LAX/LGB area. I don't think we discussed rental info in that thread, but I know in this thread we somehow got into discussing ship.

So, I'd like to correct, it is not Celebrity (Thank the wife for nagging me "Isn't there any celebrity in august a few times), it is Carnival.

PS: I booked my rental for picking up my car on 8/16 at their 333 EAST OCEAN BOULEVARD location, hopefully it's not terribly far.

PPS: I want to start a thread on parking a vehicle in long beach area, unless you guys can help me here, 2nd family will arrive from Las Vegas in their car on 8/13, so they need to park for 3 nights in port area.

Glad you got that straight...LOL :p

It's been a long time since sailing from LB but recently read parking increased to $19/day (San Pedro recently increased from $12 to $16). You may find some further information by searching this forum for LB parking info. The parking structure is adjacent to the LB cruise terminal but think it's also used for the adjacent Queen Mary.

Have a great short cruise but check Carnival Cruise Director John Heald's blog for info about big changes to Carnival's policy for bringing any liquids (including non-alcoholic drinks) that is changing but don't know if your cruise will be affected.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

Edited by Astro Flyer

One thing to be aware of is that Enterprise is often sticky about one way rentals and don't always permit out of state drops. The location in the Crown Plaza in San Pedro, at least used to keep odd hours on the weekend. In the past when I have rented I have paid a $20 cab fare and gone over to Avis in Long Beach.

To get between the ship and a rental car office, I'd use Uber. Also, as mentioned, Enterprise may have a very steep one-way dropoff fee. Most of their locations are "neighborhood/ local" franchises. Their cars aren't part of the corporate pool, and when their car is dropped off at another location they have to send 2 employees and a car to retrieve it. This isn't limited to Enterprise, so definitely check the 1-way drop fee.

Edited by kenish

Since you're talking about Carnival, remember that you're sailing from the Port of Long Beach.

One realize we will ask questions on many of the threads on CC is that often someone will post a question that doesn't mention the details that will help us give the right answers. Happens just about every day.