Verizon and the POA

Imalismom

I just talked with Verizon about incurring roaming charges while traveling to Hawaii and being on the POA.

I was told their would be no additional charges to be in Hawaii and use my phone.

When I asked specifically about being aboard the Pride Of America, I was told that that ship is not in their database - so she said it would be the same as if we were in Hawaii on land.

Does anyone have any "different" experience than what I was just told? I hate to have any surprises with my cell bill after the cruise....

Thanks in advance!

I just talked with Verizon about incurring roaming charges while traveling to Hawaii and being on the POA.

I was told their would be no additional charges to be in Hawaii and use my phone.

When I asked specifically about being aboard the Pride Of America, I was told that that ship is not in their database - so she said it would be the same as if we were in Hawaii on land.

Does anyone have any "different" experience than what I was just told? I hate to have any surprises with my cell bill after the cruise....

Thanks in advance!

Since you are never very far from land, you should be fine. We have Sprint with good service all through Hawaii, but i turned my phone off at night when we did most of our traveling.

Having done many Hawaiian cruises on the POAm, and as Verizon cell user, I have never had any issues or charges from Verizon. However, as to the post above, you do get far from land, enough to lose service several times during the sailing.

Chuck

Thanks in advance!

We have Verizon nationwide plan. Hawaii is part of US so once the ship is docked so their towers are off you can indeed sit on the ship and use your phone at no extra charge. I have sat out at the pool shipboard, called home to NM and not been billed additionally.

Just make sure you do not use your phone while the ship is underway or you'll be paying roamong charges.

Just make sure you do not use your phone while the ship is underway or you'll be paying roaming charges.

All previous posters are correct except this one comment noted above. POA is unique as it does not use ship cell "towers" ever (in port or at sea). That is why Verizon does not see the ship in its database.

You can use your phone any time there is a land tower service signal without incurring any additional charges. BUT, on the nights the POA is cruising, it is far enough away from land that you will have no service. If your phone is on, it will keep trying to find service all night and will be dead in the morning - happened to me twice. Just turn the phone off or put in airplane mode at night when cruising.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Thanks in advance!

Check your phone. It always shows the carrier. If it says Cellular at Sea or anything other than one of the major carriers then you are not good to go, but there is really no need to worry since you are in port daily just use your phone then. When you are ashore or docked you will not have any roaming charges.

Check your phone. It always shows the carrier. If it says Cellular at Sea or anything other than one of the major carriers then you are not good to go, but there is really no need to worry since you are in port daily just use your phone then. When you are ashore or docked you will not have any roaming charges.

Refer to post #4. No cellular at sea on the POA. Cell phone can be used whenever there is service coverage. There is always service on land, but when cruising between the islands no service.

just re-read my original post - I *do* know the difference between "their" and "there" - sorry about the mistake....

Easy mistake. Not as bad as the CONSTANT mis-spelling of QUIT and QUIET and QUITE

Or the people that have ignored the posts about no cell towers on the POA and keep talking about them being turned on and off, etc.

Just another post to confirm that you will be on land based cellular the entire time you are on your POA cruise. I think there was one night where we had no signal for a time, but if we had a signal, it was land based and included in our Verizon plan. Enjoy!