Voyager WIFI?

mluzzy1

We sailed the voyager this past July .I took my laptop which had wifi and purchased a internet package that cost about $.39 a minute vs the $.50 minute regular charge. I used it up in the Viking Crown Lounge and got a pretty good speed, also the view wasn't bad either. Also if you are a C&A member there is a coupon to further reduce the cost.

did you use your own wireless card, or did you have to purchase one from the ship.

You wireless card will work. I too got a signal in my cabin...it said weak but the connection was great for me. I tried it in one of the hotspots too and it worked great there too.

I have a Dell with a Dell wireless card.

So if I have my own "card" I DON'T have to pay???? Or is there still a fee?

Thanks for your help.

Yes you still have to pay for usage. It is best to purchase a package of minutes since it's cheaper that way.

The price is the same if you use your own wireless or use the Internet Cafe.

So can anyone remember what other hot spots are on the Voyager?

So far we have

* Viking Crown/High Notes

* Library, Aft Centrum decks 7,8 - accessible by nearby cabins and perhaps

up to deck 10

The Schooner Bar

The Solarium

The Conference Center on Deck 2

The Promendade Cafe

I don't recall the Library being on the list of hot spots ... since it's on deck 7 and we were on deck 6.. there were none that close to our room so I would not recommend deck 6 for wireless users. However we were lucky and got a weak signal in our cabin. Even with a weak signal it worked great and was better than treckking all the way to deck 10 or 5 which were the closest hot spots.

We just got back from the VOS 9/9 cruise, and I was able to use the WiFi in my cabin (9560), too. The funny thing was that I could only get a working connection on the bed as opposed to elsewhere in the cabin :confused: , so be sure you check various locations if the first doesn't work.

Also, one word of advice. Whenever you log out of RC-WiFi, temporarily disable your WiFi card, reboot your PC, or turn it off completely to ensure that you don't inadvertently get charged for minutes you haven't used. It happened to us on a number of occasions, and to other people on the cruise as we later learned. Believe me, at 33 cents or more a minute, those charges can add up! :eek: Of course, you can complain at the desk on deck 5 and work out a way to be reimbursed if necessary (as we did), but it is clearly better to avoid the whole problem in the first place which you can do in any of the ways mentioned above.

Have a great trip. (I wish I were going with you and I've only been home 3 days. :( )

All the best,

Carrie

Just one question on this, hope it doesnt sound dumb, but what would the advantage of the wireless wifi, versus the cybercabin in your room, we paid $100. and unlimited access that way you dont have to worry about turning it off.

I was told by several people that the dialup access from the cabins is unbearably slow and often does not work at all, but I never tried it myself. Maybe others here have firsthand experience they can share.

Yes it is VERY slow. Being a dialup I think the best you get is 28.8. NOT good if you want to send photos etc back home.

We too were able to get wireless in our cabin. RCCL says it is possible but they do not want to guarantee that to anyone in their cabin for obvious reasons:o

But even with a weak signal it worked great and MUCH faster than the Cybercabin dialup.

• 1 month later...

I had the cyber cabin in 2003, it was slow but the only thing they offered. The June I tried to connect and was unable to connect. Bottom line was did I spend hours trying to tweak my computer to use the cybercabin or painlessly use to wireless. Alex

Archived