Emerald.Prague to Budapest.

janecambridge

RDC1

We would defiinately return here to Budapest and Bratislava.Everyone loved Bratislava...It just had an aura about it that I can't explain.Not too big.

Would not return to Vienna as it is another big city...

Passau was lovely too.But Bratislava our favourite.

The area we stayed in Prague was called Flora and it was slightly out the way but easy,cheap transport and cheaper for food and drink..

I cannot really comment on neighbourhoods to stay in,in any of the cities,but this is not a perfect one.we are in the Marriott courtyard and it is very busy,so probably is the city centre.The four seasons hotel is down by the river and looked beautiful as did the Sofitel.

The bikes were a godsend to us and gave us a lot of freedom.The pool was a great addition too.Area a bit small but comfortable.

Edited by janecambridge

We got friendly with a couple and he was gluten free.Now he said they did not gluten free bread/ rolls.I am not sure about that.I am not saying he lied,but I have a feeling he didn't ask.On the menu it did say to have a word with the hotel manager if you have specific dietary requirements.They went out of their way with any problems we had,to solve them.I even wondered at one point if they had seen my blog!! So I would imagine you will be fine.I know they had fish everyday and a vegetarian option.Also I discovered different rusks/ryvitas etc in packets by the bread.

Thanks for the information. All of your comments have been very helpful.

RDC1

We would defiinately return here to Budapest and Bratislava.Everyone loved Bratislava...It just had an aura about it that I can't explain.Not too big.

Would not return to Vienna as it is another big city...

Passau was lovely too.But Bratislava our favourite.

The area we stayed in Prague was called Flora and it was slightly out the way but easy,cheap transport and cheaper for food and drink..

I cannot really comment on neighbourhoods to stay in,in any of the cities,but this is not a perfect one.we are in the Marriott courtyard and it is very busy,so probably is the city centre.The four seasons hotel is down by the river and looked beautiful as did the Sofitel.

The bikes were a godsend to us and gave us a lot of freedom.The pool was a great addition too.Area a bit small but comfortable.

Thanks. We are currently planning on the Intercontinental near the Four Seasons. Will plan on a few days in Bratislava.

Your postings have been very helpful.

Thanks. We are currently planning on the Intercontinental near the Four Seasons. Will plan on a few days in Bratislava.

Your postings have been very helpful.

Well that's great.I did forget about the intercontinental.We saw it and from the outside with people dining,it looked superb.In a great place too.

I hope you enjoy Bratislava...

Put the restaurant,Flagship on the list of eateries or at least take a look.

Well that's great.I did forget about the intercontinental.We saw it and from the outside with people dining,it looked superb.In a great place too.

I hope you enjoy Bratislava...

Put the restaurant,Flagship on the list of eateries or at least take a look.

I have added it to my must do list.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

On a hotel note::I have seen somewhere that the hotels used by Emerald in Prague and Budapest have been changed.No longer Marriott.

Please check first.Both hotels were a little distance out of town if that bothers you,but easy access at all times.

As I said,the Budapest Marriott was in a dodgy area.Some people had pre organised a change and stayed in the Marriott by the river.We were never concerned but someone who is frail or solo may have felt intimidated.

ENJOY A FREE PREMIUM DRINKS PACKAGE WORTH UP TO £756, PLUS SAVE £1,000 PER COUPLE!

Book a 2016 river cruise by 31st August 2015 and you will enjoy great savings, plus unlimited complimentary drinks from the moment you step on board.

Had this in an Emerald email today.!

I saw this ad in a Facebook posting and when I inquired on Facebook as to whether those of us who had already booked for a 2016 sailing could get this package, I was told that I would be contacted by a Brand Manager. My post/question on Facebook was immediately deleted and I was never contacted by any Brand Manager. I'm starting to get disappointed with Emerald and I'm still over a year away from taking our first cruise. :(

Both Scenic and Emerald ships have great balcony windows. What on Earth don't you like about them?

I did like them,very much,but we made the opinion that we would be outside alot on a summer cruise,not in a cabin.We wanted to see both sides of the river as much as we could and not be on a balcony(worked out to be a good decision).We also researched that most days we would be alongside other ships and unable to use the balcony without staring directly at another couple on their balcony on a totally different ship.Again a good decision as at least over 50% of the time the balcony was not usable.3 days in a row passengers could not use their balcony on the starboard side.

People did complain about paying so much for certain balcony cabins and being unable to use them.But that is river life and is also written in the small print..

Understood.

I find balconies a great asset to a cruise. So much scenery can pass you by while underway and in your cabin. Easy to pop out of bed in the night and snap a pic or see a lock you pass through. Watching city lights pass by in the night or enjoying a moment of serenity in the evening.

Granted...if you cruise in the off months, like spring or fall...you won't be docked up against other ships.

I feel balconies are worth the extra expense and are located in better spots. When you go on a river cruise...its all about the scenery.

We also researched that most days we would be alongside other ships and unable to use the balcony without staring directly at another couple on their balcony on a totally different ship.Again a good decision as at least over 50% of the time the balcony was not usable.3 days in a row passengers could not use their balcony on the starboard side.

People did complain about paying so much for certain balcony cabins and being unable to use them.But that is river life and is also written in the small print..

That is bad.

On our cruise it wasn't anywhere near that bad. We were rafted a few times, but never for more than a couple of hours of on-board awake time, apart from once (in Melk), and we were the outer ship that time.

I would say that we had views from our balcony at least 95% of the time we were on board and awake.

If you were on the Port side of the ship, you would never have had a river view except when sailing, as all the docks were on that side on the Danube. (and they always dock facing upstream, regardless of the direction of the trip).

We always have a balcony on an ocean cruise.I love them and we like to spend time together on our own alot and it is perfect.We also like some room service meals.

But for us,in the mid summer,with views either side,busy itinerary and the high chance of not getting full benefit of a balcony at all times,it was worth paying a lot less for aquarium class.We now have a super cabin on Cunard for 4 days for the difference in cost..Some balconies were not generally in great spots.Beware of walking track above your head and pool and gym doors opening next to some cabins at early hours.

But I fully understand RvrCrzr what you are saying as that is our philosophy generally but research for our cruise,for us personally, made us change our minds for once.