Changing a guest?

moongal

I just got back from my first cruise, I took my youngest daughter and my mom, and now my oldest son who originally didn't want to go on the trip has decided he would like to go on a cruise after all. Of course I am itching to go back (yes so soon!!). So I was looking at a cruise that would fit into our current schedules and found a short 4 day one on the Triumph but it leaves in 21 days.

I am wondering if my son can get a passport that quickly even with the expediting, and if I booked the cruise and he didn't get his passport on time, would it be possible to take my daughter again instead of him? (I'd still take him at a later date) but I wouldn't want to miss the cruise if I could just take my daughter instead.

Is this something you can do? Switch passengers at the last minute? If so is it difficult? Do they charge you?

With Carnival this is a MUCH harder question to answer than with other cruise lines. To put it as simply as possible - MAYBE, MAYBE NOT - and there may be a fee of $50-75 to do so.

It all depends on the fare and its restrictions and Carnival has the most types of restricted fares that allow "no name changes" of any cruise line, which they do not make as clear as they could. Basically if you book a Super Saver, Early Saver, Pack & Go, or any other restricted fare (not always obvious which are) there are "technically" no name changes, but some reps will still do it for either a $50 or $75 fee (no rhyme or reason as to when allowed or how much - just depends on agent you speak with really). I've even seen them attempt to levy fees or deny name changes on bookings that do not technically have a "no name change" restriction. In these cases they have tried to say the pax is canceling, and subject to cancel fees and to add another passenger in their place that the booking has to be re-fared at current rates. Other reps will make the change no fuss, no muss......

I find Carnival highly inconsistent and occasionally frustrating to work with when it comes to name changes.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Info on travel documentation from Carnival's website:

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION: U.S CITIZENS

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using Online Check-in, it is still the responsibility of the guest to present the required travel documents at the time of embarkation. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.

CRUISE TRAVEL FOR U.S CITIZENS

Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel-unless otherwise noted differently). This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications.

Cruises that begin and end in the same U.S port

ALL guests are required to carry proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate OR a valid, unexpired U.S passport OR a WHTI-Compliant Document AND proof of identification (a non-expired government-issued photo ID for all guests 16 years of age or older).

Traveling with a Birth Certificate and Photo Identification

Birth Certification Information

The following are acceptable:

An original birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A clear, legible, quality Xerox copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The Xerox copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

Birth Certificate Card

A Consular report of Birth Abroad

Internationally Adopted Children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S once the adoption is finalized.

Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: http://www.vitalchek.com. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

AND

Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

Driver’s License

Driver’s Permit

School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

Government-Issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) – for photo identification use only

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative / WHTI-Compliant Documents

The goal of the WHTI is to facilitate entry for U.S and Canadian citizens and legitimate foreign visitors, while strengthening U.S border security. Standard documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.

1) Valid U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens may present a valid, unexpired U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the Western Hemisphere countries.

Guests may apply for passports at more than 4500 passport-acceptance facilities nationwide (passport agencies, clerks of court, post offices and public libraries). For information about about U.S Passports, visit http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports.html or click here.

New passport cost: $110 (ages 16 and older); $80 (minors 15 and younger).

Passport renewal cost: $110 (every ten years).

Expedite Processing fee: $60 additional (to above costs).

Carnival recommends that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the completion of travel.

2) The Passport Card

The passport card cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

U.S. citizens may present the new, limited-use, wallet-size passport card. The passport card will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region and Bermuda. The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book.

The card will have the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult and five years for minors 15 and younger.

First-time applicants will pay $30 (ages 16 and older); $15 (minors 15 and younger)

Renewal will cost $30.

3) State Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDL)

The EDL cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

Several states are working with the Department of Homeland Security to develop EDLs for U.S. citizens residing in their states. These documents will denote both citizenship and identity and will contain security features to help prevent counterfeiting and facilitate the entry process at land and sea ports of entry. The word ‘Enhanced’ must appear on the license. The following states issue this type of WHTI-compliant document: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.

4) Original Certificate of U.S. Naturalization and a Government-Issued Photo I.D

The Certificate of U.S. Naturalization (form N-550 or N-570) is a document issued by the U.S. government (USCIS) as proof of a foreign born person who has obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization (a legal process of obtaining a new nationality).

5) Native American Indians

These cards cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

Native American Indian Tribal Documents with affixed Photo I.D.

Kootenai Tribe Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC) with affixed Photo I.D.

Unacceptable Forms of Documentation

Copies of any of the WHTI-Compliant documents

Driver's License as the only proof

A temporary driver’s license (paperwork without a Photo I.D.)

Voter's Registration Card

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) – may be used for photo identification use only

Baptismal Papers

U.S. Military I.D and a Photo I.D

A Dependent Military I.D that is issued to the spouse and children of Military Personnel is not acceptable

U.S. Military Discharge Papers

No Record of Birth certificate: a certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics showing that they have no records on this person

Hospital Certificate: hospital-Issued birth notice / live record of birth / announcement of birth from a hospital

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest’s full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest’s non-expired government-issued photo ID they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest’s photo ID as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

Note: For newly married or soon-to-be married brides, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo ID is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo ID is in the maiden name, documentation supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

Since our reservation systems do not accept middle names, the middle name must be included during the Check-In process.

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents (or legal guardians) are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) (or legal guardians) authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Citizens of U.S. Territories and Commonwealth

Guests will follow the same Travel Documentation Requirements. U.S. Territories and Commonwealth include: Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix and St. John), America Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

AIR TRAVEL FOR U.S CITIZENS

All persons are required to carry a valid, unexpired U.S passport for all air travel to or from the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. San Juan, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. Thomas/St. John/St. Croix) are considered territories of the United States.

He doesn't have to have a passport. Although I feel strongly about having one, he can certainly go with his birth certificate and government issued photo ID. No reason to stress over a weekend getaway.

I was going to suggest that but then I saw in one of her other posts that she isn't comfortable traveling without a passport. So that's really up to the OP, if that's an acceptable risk.

Although if you mail your son's BC with the passport application, at least make sure it's not your only copy...

If you live near a regional passport center they can be issued the same day, within two weeks of travel. By appointment only. Need all the paperwork and travel docs.

I can't speak upon the passport questions, but I do know you can change the name of a guest 1 time for a $50 fee. So yes you would be able to switch the reservation to include your daughter instead, however I think it needs to be done 24 hours prior to sail. I don't think you can just show up at the port and say never mind my daughter is coming!

I can't speak upon the passport questions, but I do know you can change the name of a guest 1 time for a $50 fee. So yes you would be able to switch the reservation to include your daughter instead, however I think it needs to be done 24 hours prior to sail. I don't think you can just show up at the port and say never mind my daughter is coming!

That's true as long as the fare is not a Super Saver or Pack & Go, which do not allow name changes. The change fee can be $75 under certain situations, rather than the $50 you quoted.