Alaska question

5soonerfans

I was looking online on that same topic recently. Take a look at:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/time-alaska-cruise-18019.html

Seasonal Highlights

During spring, wildflowers bloom along the Inside Passage; you’re more likely to see larger animals migrating. Early June is an excellent time to see calving glaciers, Orcas, Minke whales and Pacific white-sided dolphins. From mid-June through late August, daylight hours are at their peak. If you venture off the cruise ship and head north of the Arctic Circle, you may be able to see the midnight sun.

Fall comes early to Alaska; September is an excellent time to view foliage and the gathering of bald eagles. In some areas, it is dark enough to view the northern lights, and autumn also brings a fresh blanket of snow on high mountains.

Is there a better month between May-August to cruise Alaska, not taking weather into consideration? I am thinking more about the wildlife that we would see and such.

Better for what?

Its a tropical rain forest so you can expect/plan for rain.

As to daylight hours clearly that is easy to predict as is "average" temperatures.

If bear watching or salmon fishing or salmon runs are what you are looking for they have fixed months +/- a few weeks

If dog sledding on glaciers are what you want go earlier than later, but weather again is dicey.

July thru August. We scheduled our Alaska northern cruise specifically based on wildlife for July. For bear July is better. If choosing Anan creek, only July. (best excursion ever).

We did many, many wildlife private excursions and saw tons of whales, orcas, puffins, and BEARS. We saw whales from our balcony and the lounge many, many times. My daughter did her research and did it well.

if you plan to do some of these excursions for bear; Anan creek for example you need to do this well in advance because they can only get so many permits there. Again, this is not thru the cruiseship, but private excursions. I highly recommend you do your homework. The cruise ship took them to traitor's cove and they saw nothing while we had a feast of black and brown bears and cubs. The scariest yet most fascinating excursion of my life. :eek:

We cruised Alaska the last week of August and the first week of Sept. We had no problem seeing bears and orcas. We had rain one day and a mist another day. Otherwise, it was perfect weather. Our best excursion was the float plane trip. It was amazing and I highly recommend it. We would like to cruise Alaska again in the future.