Carnival Stock

Donh44

This may sound totally uneducated (which I am regarding stocks)...,

How does one go about purchasing CCL shares? And checking current value?

Before you purchase any stock suggest you go to your library and read up on investing to make sure this is for you.

Stocks go up and down and do contain risk.

We used USAA (called their main number) and they set us up with a brokerage account- they put a penny or something in it to open it. Took about 3 days. Then called them back to have the shares purchased and money transferred.

A "good price point" is the one that makes sense to you. When I bought in it was just under $20 a share & it was a historically low trading stock, so that seemed like about the best I would do - I figured it might go into the 30s but never expected the current trading value! With the shareholders credits the dividends AND the upward trend I've done alright. It's a long term hold for me as long as I continue to reap the rewards. :p

Thanks again for all of the wonderful comments and advice. So glad that there were no snarky comments to a novice. I am watching the stock prices and waiting for a while to see how it progresses. What with Carnival moving into the China market and, possible as well, the Cuban market, it is worth watching.

I agree with the poster who said you should educate yourself concerning stocks and be aware that they can be risky. This is especially true if you simply wish to buy a hundred shares of stock so that you can get onboard credit and then immediately sell it. The value might drop in the interim. I have found stocks are only valuable to me as a long term investment as I am a dismal day trader. The goal with stocks is either to retain them long term to appreciate growth or to buy low and sell high. Since I have notoriously been unskilled at determining when the price is low and how high it will go, I take the first approach. I hope the price of CCL will go higher! In fact I hope that it will eventually go high enough that Carnival splits the stock. Spliting of each share into two is done by companies when the stock price goes so high that it becomes an impediment to selling because the share price is too high for people to wish to purchase whatever number of shares is considered the minimum to purchase. This initially causes a drop in the price of each share so right after this kind of thing occurs is a good time to buy 100 shares. I don't know if Carnival ever does this but I do know some companies do since I had 100 shares of Microsoft that became 200 shares shortly after I bought it.

Edited by Jana60

I agree with the poster who said you should educate yourself concerning stocks and be aware that they can be risky. This is especially true if you simply wish to buy a hundred shares of stock so that you can get onboard credit and then immediately sell it as the value might drop in the interim. I have found the stocks are only valuable as a long term investment as I am a dismal day trader. The goal with stocks is either to retain them long term to appreciate the growth or to buy low and sell high. Since I have notoriously being unskilled at determining when the price is low and how high it will go I take the first approach. I hope the price will go higher in fact I hope that it will eventually go high enough that Carnival splits the stock. This is done by companies when the stock price goes so high then it becomes an impediment to selling for their shares because the share price is too high for people to wish to purchase so the company will split each stock share into two shares. This initially causes a drop in the price of each share so right after this kind of thing occurs is a good time to buy 100 shares. I don't know is Carnival ever does this but I do know I don't know with carnival ever does this but I do know some companies do since I had 100 shares of Microsoft that became 200 shares shortly after I bought it.

That would be me btw. Timing the market is notoriously difficult and most would say impossible.

that is why almost all of our investments are in the form of mutual funds.

If you dont cruise several times a year not worth it to buy the stock for the obc, especially at the current price.

I bought mine after the Concordia sank. So did the stock price. :cool: We have benefited greatly from the OBC perk and continue to do so.

I wouldn't buy unless it's under $40 a share. That's just me, though.

I got my 100 shares at around $37/share last year - now I wish I'd bought more as an investment, since it was up to almost $50 this week.

After 25 cruises you get obc equal to 25% of the fare. and than 50% after 50 cruises.

Just a couple FYIs: Milestone Program: There is also a 75% OBC after 75 cruises and a free cruise after 100 cruises. Currently nothing more after 125 or greater number of cruises. Each cruiser with the qualifying number of cruises get this credit for their fare only not the cabin's total fare. However 2 qualifying cruisers can apply the separate OBCs to the same cruise. The % OBC is only on the cruise fare, not the port fees and taxes.

The shareholders OBC is as described above but it is only effective on a year by year basis, currently good until 7/2016. Every year so far Carnival has renewed this benefit between February and April for another calendar year. But since it is an annual thing Carnival could let it lapse. You know there would be a huge outcry if they did, but they could do it.

I bought mine a few years ago and planned (and still do) to keep it as a long term investment. It is my "steady eddy" and had continued to rise slowly over the last few years. I get my $100 in dividends each year and my OBC each time I cruise.

If you are looking to buy/sell quickly, it is probably not for you. If you are looking for a genuine long term investment it is a good stock.

I also own Royal, which has tripled since I purchased it and NCL, which has gone up at least 25% since i purchased it. The cruise industry seems to be a good over all investment, but not if you are in it for a quick buck. Long term, they are great.

Happy cruising!

Edited by BaseballMomof4