Oasis - Latest Internet Packages - Cost?

if I get the internet package I can email and use Skype? Right. But I can not

text on my phone because that would be using my phone service and the prices would be over the top. Correct?

Wish our Verizon would offer cheap packages to use our phones while on vacation. At least let us text.

Call your cell provider. AT&T only charges $.50 per text (incoming texts free) while at sea, which is going to turn out to be less money for us (given we will only text when needing to find each other) than if we paid for the wifi.

if I get the internet package I can email and use Skype? Right. But I can not

text on my phone because that would be using my phone service and the prices would be over the top. Correct?

Wish our Verizon would offer cheap packages to use our phones while on vacation. At least let us text.

If you have the Galaxy S6 you can text with the phone over wifi.

All you need to do is turn on the airplane mode and then go back and enable your wifi.

But you must have the Verizon Message/Messenger app installed

Edited by Tony O

If you have the Galaxy S6 you can text with the phone over wifi.

All you need to do is turn on the airplane mode and then go back and enable your wifi.

But you must have the Verizon Message/Messenger app installed

Doesn't Verizon have international plans so phones, and texting can be used or is it too costly? I was hoping to stay connected. Thanks

Doesn't Verizon have international plans so phones, and texting can be used or is it too costly? I was hoping to stay connected. Thanks

You would have to check with Verizon to see if an international plan covers cruise ships at sea.

Doesn't Verizon have international plans so phones, and texting can be used or is it too costly? I was hoping to stay connected. Thanks[/QU

I am currently using Google hangout dialer. You can use your existing number or get a google number for free.

DW and I are currently traveling in Europe and have called home using google hangouts dialer and the hotel wifi.

The cost has been about 1 cent a minute to talk and the sound is crystal clear.

I will use the same system when we travel on the Oasis later this month.

Free wifi text and about a penny a minute to talk pretty good deal to me.

You would have to check with Verizon to see if an international plan covers cruise ships at sea.

I checked a few weeks ago and all they offer is a $40 Month plan with 100gb data

Still have to pay per minutes for calls

SMS I believe was $.50 to receive and $ 05 to send or vice a versa

No cruise ship plan even though they lead you to believe there is one as you go thought their planner

Whatsapp -- is a text msg over wi-fi app that can be used across platforms (iphone/android). The app is free for the first year. We have a group of 45 sailing the Oasis next week. We are all connected via the app and everyone will (assuming they choose the internet pkg v. unplug for the week :D)be able to not only text one another while on board, but also text back home. HTH

• 2 months later...

Google Dialer works great with any decent WiFi connection. I made calls on the Allure in the middle of the Mediterranean as well as all over Europe. You do need a Google account and make a money deposit for charge calls. I deposited $10 and I still have a $9 balance. It is super cheap. Actually calling the US from anywhere is free. As far as Google is concerned you are calling from home, no matter where you are, so the only toll is when you call other countries and that's usually a few cents a minute. Try to get anyone you want to text to install Google's Hangout because it uses the internet so it's free. Hangout also has video chatting. It really solved my communication issues. Here's a tip, Google Dialer now let's you send your phones caller ID so that your recipients know it's you calling. It used to just display "Unknown Caller" on the recipient's phone unless you had a Google #. You do have to go into your settings to activate this feature. For iPhone users, Google's Hangout is available to you too. Another tip; put your phone in “airplane” mode when you get on the ship then turn on the WiFi and even Bluetooth if you need it. Tell people at home to message you using Hangout and you will call them back.

Edited by Flying Scott

• 1 month later...

As I already posted we were on Allure in the Mediterranean in May 2015 and WiFi was great. We just completed a Caribbean cruise, also on the Allure, but this time I got the 2 device unlimited WiFi package. The price was under $160 for the 7 days less $30 Diamond credit so it cost us less than $130. I connected my wife and my cell phone and used Google Hangout to text and call each other all over the ship. It was simply awesome. We could call anywhere in the USA for free and Europe for pennies. And since we use T-Mobile we got free text and internet when in ports.