FLL Hyatt Pier 66 Resort

Beachcatzmum

Hyatt Pier 66 is currently undergoing a $14 million renovation. The pool is closed until October 25th, the rooftop lounge is being converted into a banquet room. The hotel has been repainted, and next up is renovation of the rooms which involves new furniture, carpeting, tile, light fixtures, and 42-inch flat screen TVs.

Hyatt Pier 66 is currently undergoing a $14 million renovation. The pool is closed until October 25th, the rooftop lounge is being converted into a banquet room. The hotel has been repainted, and next up is renovation of the rooms which involves new furniture, carpeting, tile, light fixtures, and 42-inch flat screen TVs.

"The rooftop lounge is being converted into a banquet room." I hope you are joking! The Pier Top Lounge and its outdoor observation area is one of the truly stellar attractions of the hotel!

From the Sun Sentinal 09/08/05

The Pier Top Lounge, with its panoramic view of Fort Lauderdale, has been a landmark since 1967.

But this week the revolving room at the top of the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 on the Intracoastal Waterway closed to the public. When it reopens in December, only private parties that book the Pier Top Lounge will be able to take in the vista.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-li08piercallsep08,1,2633311.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

I'm going to miss it as well :(

rkacruiser - I wish I was joking, that was a spectacular room. :( The rest of the hotel sounds like it will be gorgeous after they're finished, but I don't care for that turn of events either. They claim they can get as much as $50,000 for a 200 person wedding reception. :eek: I can't imagine spending that kind of money on one, but I guess from their perspective it doesn't take too many receptions up there to make up for what they lost selling drinks! At least in my mind that room was a big draw to that hotel though.

Along the lines of what traveller333 was saying - - don't you think they would open the Pier Top lounge on a day-to-day basis to the public when there are no weddings planned for the venue?:( I just won a bid on priceline to this place for next April, and I bid it solely with the anticipation of visiting this lounge .... now I'm bummed out.

rkacruiser - I wish I was joking, that was a spectacular room. :( The rest of the hotel sounds like it will be gorgeous after they're finished, but I don't care for that turn of events either. They claim they can get as much as $50,000 for a 200 person wedding reception. :eek: I can't imagine spending that kind of money on one, but I guess from their perspective it doesn't take too many receptions up there to make up for what they lost selling drinks! At least in my mind that room was a big draw to that hotel though.

Well, I guess I have a letter to write to the management of the hotel. I have stayed at Pier 66 whenever I have been in Fort Lauderdale (and it has been frequently) since 1975. Being a Marriott Rewards member, I have purposely chosen Pier 66 over a Marriott property. The Pier Top Lounge was one of the major reasons. If the Lounge is closed to the public, they will have lost a customer.

I have noticed in the 2006 Holland America brochures that Pier 66 is not being used as a pre- and post-cruise hotel offering. Pier 66 has been used by HAL for many, many years for these pre- and post-cruise hotel packages. There may be some "other changes" that are going on within the management of the hotel other than the change involving the Pier Top.

Time for those of us who are or would like to be customers to write and let our opinions be known by both the hotel and Hyatt Hotels management.

Here's some additional info you may find interesting;

Boca Resorts' $1.25B sale closes Dec 11, 2004

The Blackstone Group has officially purchased the Boca Raton Resort & Club, Hyatt Regency Pier 66 Hotel and Marina, Radisson Bahia Mar Resort and Yachting Center, and all the other properties in the Boca Resorts portfolio ... At the end of last year and beginning of this year, the younger Huizenga on his Boca Resorts (NYSE: RST) stock in direct and indirect purchases ... But, as his Boca Resorts involvement winds down, the elder Huizenga isn't about to exit the hotel industry. (South Florida Business Journal, FL)

Blackstone to buy hotelier Wyndham International Jun 15, 2005

Some of the deals in the past year were: Hyatt Hotels' purchase of AmeriSuites, CNL Hospitality Properties' acquisition of KSL Recreation Corp., and Blackstone's takeover of Extended Stay America, Prime Hospitality and Boca Resorts. Last year, 10 deals worth about $12 billion took place. (Yahoo Finance -- Hotels & Motels)

Blackstone to buy hotelier Wyndham International (Reuters) Jun 15, 2005

Blackstone to buy hotelier Wyndham International - Yahoo. Secondary Navigation. (RSS - Yahoo News - Business)

Many thanks for the information you supplied about The Blackstone Group. I put a letter in the mail today to the General Manager of Pier 66 and will now prepare one to the hotel's new owners.

I realize this is probably an exercise in futility. But, I am going to let them know what one loyal customer thinks, anyway.

When the renovations are complete I'm sure this property will shine even brighter then it has in the past. This property has always been a favorite weekend getaway spot for us. I cannot imagine the rooftop lounge being closed to the public as I've read a number of articles. I'm hoping they rethink that. Be that as it may, the grounds, the pool, the marina and the onsite restaurants as well as the beautiful rooms continue to make it a fine property. ;)

rka-let us know if you get a response

Archived