Anthem Reviews...

The Brits voice a certain level of arrogance in many of the reviews. It often manifests itself when assessing fellow passengers and "servants" (crew) (much more so than in the U.S.).

A degree of this was evident in some of the reviews of the Independence. The Anthem is a very different concept from the Independence and a portion of the reviewers resent it.

For all reviews I enjoy trying to identify the first irritant that sets the tone and discolors the rest of the cruise experience.

Edited by beachnative

We sailed Quantum last year and I was a little worried with the very low approval rating and negative reviews/comments. I am a very positive person and believe that life is what you make it:) We loved Quantum! The ship was beautiful, the entertainment was awesome, the food was great and so was the service. Was it a different experience than our previous five cruises with Royal? Yes. It is a cold weather ship with an indoor pool (not our thing)...but we loved the Solarium and outdoor pool and decks. I thought I would miss the elimination of the main dining room...I did not. I loved the feeling of being in a different "restaurant" every night. The ship was easy to navigate. There was plenty to do and see. For the record, we do love the big ships! Oasis and Allure are still my faves, but we are close enough to NJ to drive to the port so that is a big plus for us! We are booked on Anthem for March 19th and can't wait!

Check out my honest review. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2243010

Loved the ship and this is how reviews should be. Helpful with information of what we did and saw. Not comparing Anthem to Indy and not happy about changes.

I had already read your review and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had alos read many things that you said on earlier threads leading up to your Anthem cruise and was wondering if you would be able to enjoy the Anthem…I'm glad that you did.

There are three things that can make a cruise horrible for me:

1. Titanic-- need I say more

2. Norovirus

3. Horrible seasickness

Otherwise, I am determined to have fun, despite what others say. That being said, if I'm not happy, I may cancel the three remaining cruises I have on a Anthem-- but I wouldn't do it based on what others say-- reviews are subjective; only I can truly judge what I'm willing to live with.

The Brits voice a certain level of arrogance in many of the reviews. It often manifests itself when assessing fellow passengers and "servants" (crew) (much more so than in the U.S.).

A degree of this was evident in some of the reviews of the Independence. The Anthem is a very different concept from the Independence and a portion of the reviewers resent it.

For all reviews I enjoy trying to identify the first irritant that sets the tone and discolors the rest of the cruise experience.

Being a Brit I'm a bit peeved at the scathing arrogance comment - arrogance is not exclusive to Brits, infact some of the most arrogant people I have ever met were American's on Freedom of the Seas several years ago, but I certainly wouldn't tar all American's with the same brush based on a tiny proportion's attitude.

And I would say that the amount of people who refer to or regard the crew as 'servants' is miniscule, regardless of where they hail from.

Another thing that should be remembered is that Quantum, based until recently in the US and with a much higher proportion of American's than Brit's onboard, has even worse reviews - only 47% loved it against Anthem's 50%. Cruise Critic is a US site and has far more American users than British users - so go figure!

Anyway, back to the OP's comments, we were on Anthem last month and I was also a bit concerned about the negative comments beforehand but even more perplexed afterwards. We might have been on a totally different ship as far as many reviews were concerned. The food was not what you would call fine-dining but great nonetheless, the entertainment on the whole was superb, there were tons of activities going on all the time and the crew were exceptional. The only small negative in my opinion was the lack of available sunbeds on sunny sea days, but then that is the case on many ships, and on Anthem there is so much else going on besides sunbathing that it in no way affected our holiday or overall view of the ship.

Personally I wouldn't even think about cancelling and I'm just sad that Anthem is leaving our shores soon.