Booking Your Cruise?

While playing around with booking our cruise to get prices I entered my VIFP number and now I am getting calls from a specific Carnival Cruise travel agent. My question is if there is any benefit going thru Carnival to book our cruise or should I stick with the travel agent we have been using for several years (even though they have been efficient, we have never received any upgrades or freebies). My mom is on oxygen with a concentrator and canisters so I need a travel agent to do the paperwork on that and arrange for a scoot around on board. Any advice, pro or con would be appreciated!

The Carnival person that's calling you is probably a PVP (personal vacation planner). Mine calls me if he detects that I have been checking prices on their website. (So I use private browsing or another computer to check.) Some people say that their PVP is so awesome, and some of them can be, but I've never had one that has done anything that I couldn't do. They might be able to handle those needs that you have, just like your TA has done, but I don't really see any added benefit to them. I see my bookings as my own, not my PVPs. I like having control and being able to talk to Carnival directly, so I wouldn't like having to use a TA. If prices drop, I can take care of price-drop requests myself, rather than having to go through the TA. But for you, it might just make sense to keep using your TA.

We used a TA for our first three cruises, but since then have booked directly with the cruise line. We feel that we now know enough that we are confident that we can book exactly what we want and get the best price possible. Since giving up using a TA we have had no regrets.

I could easily book everything myself. In fact, I have the website pulled up as though I'm going to book, I know exactly what cabin I want, and exactly what the price is going to be.

But I use a PVP. He's great.

He never calls me just because I've been browsing the website. I've been known to go online and put a hold on the cabin I want, email him to let him know, then he calls me within the time limit to get my credit card number for the deposit. I don't need to give him the booking, but I think he deserves the credit for it because of all the small things he does for me, even though - at the moment - I've done all the work myself.

If I need ANYTHING, I can send him an email or call him and he takes care of it right away.

That is why I use him - to deal with the exceptions. I can handle everything routine myself. I just really like having someone there I can rely on and who I know knows what he's doing and talking about.

The Carnival person that's calling you is probably a PVP (personal vacation planner). Mine calls me if he detects that I have been checking prices on their website. (So I use private browsing or another computer to check.) Some people say that their PVP is so awesome, and some of them can be, but I've never had one that has done anything that I couldn't do. They might be able to handle those needs that you have, just like your TA has done, but I don't really see any added benefit to them. I see my bookings as my own, not my PVPs. I like having control and being able to talk to Carnival directly, so I wouldn't like having to use a TA. If prices drop, I can take care of price-drop requests myself, rather than having to go through the TA. But for you, it might just make sense to keep using your TA.

Great advice.

I have used both, and I always use a TA now because she knows exactly what I want, and knows all the promotion options that Carnival does every week and knows if they would be beneficial to me or not (since some you have to re-book and there is a chance you could lose your cabin you booked).

It didn't take me long to 'train her' and now I just give her the date and the cabin and she takes care of the rest....

The ONLY advantage with a PVP may be with price drops. I am not sure if they process them on your behalf without getting you involved. It has been a while since I used one. I just let my TA know there may be a price drop (based on info on these boards and the CCL website) and she takes the time to follow up, processes the paperwork when applicable and gets back to me.

However........having said all that...your TA MUST be a good one....

I find it so creepy that Carnival calls you if they notice you login. I tell them so, and refuse to book with anyone who calls me in this manner. If I wanted to be called, I would either call them or find something online to ask for them to call me.

Personally, I prefer to book myself. If you need the help of a TA- book with a TA. I don't think the people at Carnival provide any additional service. The only thing you might not like about a TA is that you cannot control your own booking, and must go through them- I found that to be annoying.

(I've booked with a PVP, with a TA, and by myself twice).

Ok, thank you all for the advice. I may look for a TA that specializes in Carnival Cruises, the one I have now seems to only get discounts and upgrades with Holland so I think therein lies the problem. I do not think I want to go with the one that stalks my internet inquiries though so the pvp is out...

We book Early Saver with our PVP. We check prices via 'mock' bookings and Fare Viewer many times. Have never been called by our PVP. I think she knows that if you are booked ES, you will be going to the Carnival web sites frequently.

Looking over some of the contrasting replies you got only solidifies my opinion for me that whether or not to use a TA, PVP, or self book, boils down to personal temperament. Some like to be taken care of, while others prefer independence and self reliance. I think there is something to be said for getting help booking your first cruise or two. Then once you feel comfortable with the process and have a better idea of what exactly you want, you can safely choose which mode you prefer. I prefer being in control of the entire process and relying on my own wits, but that isn't to say this is what everyone should do.

We book Early Saver with our PVP. We check prices via 'mock' bookings and Fare Viewer many times. Have never been called by our PVP. I think she knows that if you are booked ES, you will be going to the Carnival web sites frequently.

I think they only call if you don't have a cruise booked.

I got 7 calls (all from different representatives) in 3 months when I was researching for my current cruise, but none since I have booked.

my Pvp never calls when I am just checking out the site, if so we would be on the phone together all the time :p The biggest downfall to having a TA would be, not being able to contact carnival yourself with a question or inquiry about your booking. It all has to go through the TA.

I could easily book everything myself. In fact, I have the website pulled up as though I'm going to book, I know exactly what cabin I want, and exactly what the price is going to be.

But I use a PVP. He's great.

He never calls me just because I've been browsing the website. I've been known to go online and put a hold on the cabin I want, email him to let him know, then he calls me within the time limit to get my credit card number for the deposit. I don't need to give him the booking, but I think he deserves the credit for it because of all the small things he does for me, even though - at the moment - I've done all the work myself.

If I need ANYTHING, I can send him an email or call him and he takes care of it right away.

That is why I use him - to deal with the exceptions. I can handle everything routine myself. I just really like having someone there I can rely on and who I know knows what he's doing and talking about.

I agree with you110%.... I do the same exact steps. Today I did all the work and called (he might as well get a sale perk cuz I can't lol) I could only see my November 21st cruise offer letting me online choose a cabin on Deck 1 or Deck 2 but he asked, what Deck do you want to be on? LIDO I said. And he says, I can get you hooked up wherever you want to be!!!! And he did! Had I booked online myself I would be on the Riviera deck!!! I think he's GREAT!!!