Stingray City in Grand Caymen

familyplanner

I have checked out native way's website, but I can't find an e-mail address to contact them. Does anyone know an e-mail address so I can ask questions?:confused: Also are there any other private tour companies that you would recommend? One more question, I have heard that often times they won't take tours to stingray city if the sea is even mildly rough? Is that true?

A bunch of us from our group booked on our own with Captain Bryans this past February and it was one of the best days I ever had in my life. Our group had 38 people and 10 went with Carnival and 6 of us with Captain Bryans.. we UNDOUBTABLY had the better day. It was absolutely amazing. When our day ended around noonish, we asked for recommendations of where to go to eat and "Javid" gave us a few recommendations. they were great and we WILL go with them again next time we travel there....

Here is a link to information: http://www.cayman.org/captainbryan/

To answer the question about the rough sea's. I was there last December, and it was rough enough that the Tenders could barely make the runs from the ship to land. Everyone thought that we would have to skip Grand Cayman because of this. Our guide took us out to Stingray City anyway. This was one occasion that they probably shouldnt have gone out. My wife and about 5 others spent the whole time getting sick overboard. The snorkeling itself was really cool besides the rough seas. Many people wouldnt even get in the water though, because of the high waves.

we went to stingray city, it was nice, but on the return trip it was super choppy and into the wind, then the fumes from the boat were coming back. numerous people were getting sick because of this. my wife included, ruined the rest of the day for some.

We used Capt Bryans in April and loved it! The Catamaran sailboat was so much better that the double decker looked like a bunch of packed cattle boats that other operators were using.

I really liked them and will use them again if we go back to Grand Cayman.

Stef

We used Soto cruises and they were fantastic. They were the cheapest at $30 per person but they didn't seem the cheapest.

We arrived late (ship, not us) and figured we missed the tour. They were still waiting for us and a few others from our ship. They took us by van to their boat which is a large pontoon boat. After they gave everyone their snorkel stuff we were off. There were only 12 of us on the boat. I hear they do not book many more than that, 20 max I think.

When we were snorkeling we noticed a few double decker boats that must have had 100 people on the boat. They were packed in like sardines! Many other boats were also packed to the gills. (all puns intended) Glad we took Soto. http://www.sotoscruises.com/

Here is a link from Trip advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147365-d148308-r2874499-Stingray_City-Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

Either way, enjoy.

Duane

I third on Soto's we had a great time - just be sure to bring some extra cash with you as they have a photographer with you on the trip and it's VERY hard not to say no to as she takes some wonderful pictures - the CD was $50 and WELL worth it for us!

Very personal service and the guys were great with even our two year old - they had her kissing the sting rays - even now when we go to sea world she tells us about how she "kissed a fwing ray"

I have checked out native way's website, but I can't find an e-mail address to contact them. Does anyone know an e-mail address so I can ask questions?:confused: Also are there any other private tour companies that you would recommend? One more question, I have heard that often times they won't take tours to stingray city if the sea is even mildly rough? Is that true?

A friend and I did this trip, we booked through Carnival (thank God). The water was so choppy people where getting scattered all over the place. I stayed on the boat (I'm a certified rescue diver and knew that it was bad out there). Everyone needed help getting back on the boat one man got hit in the head when back end of the boat came out of the water and came back down on him. (three stiches from the Carnival Doctor to close his head up). Their were a few stingrays but everyone was spending so much time trying to stay together or getting tossed around that no one had a good time. Carnival refunded the trip price!

I also did the Moby Dick tours. They were waiting for us when our tender finally got to shore and took us in a bus to their boat. There were around 15 of us on their boat -- very nice and personal attention. They also had a bathroom and non-alcoholic drinks available for us. For the $30, we got to pet, feed and hold stingrays (with their help). Additionally, they took us to a good snorkeling spot and we got to see a moray eel. Then back to the bus. We had enough time left in the day to stop at Seven Mile Beach, and Moby Dick Tours was nice enough to drop us there at no extra fee. We were there on February 1. Was a beautiful and warm day. Water was a little chilly, but didn't hear anybody complain. Was one of the best days I've ever spent!http://www.mobydicktours.com/

• 1 month later...
Has anyone done the Rays, Reef and Rum excursion with Native Way Watersports? I was just wondering if it was worth the 55 bucks for 5 hours or should we do a cheeper excursion to the ray city for 3 hours??

DEENER... we have not been on it... but at least 3 groups from our Miracle 11/20 roll call are going to give it a try!

Come say hello again on the ROLL CALL !

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=132909

Tom

We did the stingray and snorkel at Coral Gardens last week and they were GREAT! :D There were 9 of us on the boat and I'm from Florida and was a little afraid to get in with the stingrays. They come right up to the boat and was scarey at first. I got up the nerve and soooo glad that I did. It was great! I even kissed the stingray after getting used to them. They are real soft on the bottom and the guides take the time with you to let you get used to the rays. They were really patient and explained everything. They even dove down and got a conch shell, showed us how they clean out the inside and then peeled it and had us try the raw conch. It really was good, much to my surprise and they let me take the shell home. I would definitely go with Nativeway if I go back to the Caymans, which I hope will be soon. We had a GREAT TIME:D

It's well hidden - you need to click on "make a reservation" at the bottom of the page...

this is the one they give:

nativway@candw.ky

~ MARK ~

Not sure why you feel it's 'well hidden' - anyone looking for Nativeway Watersports can Google Nativeway (theirs is the first website that pops up), or click here:

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

The 'make a reservation' button is on the homepage.

----

Back to the original post: I did not do the 'Rays, Rum, and Reef' tour - it's a long excursion, starting at 9am, kind of difficult to make depending on what time/time of year your ship arrives there. I DID do the 'General Tour' and LOVED it! Feeding/holding the stingrays, following by some snorkeling in the crystal clear waters of Coral Gardens...it's an EXCELLENT 2 1/2 hour excursion! Your tour includes a return drop-off at 7-Mile Beach (or back to the ship). Your boat will include no more than 25 people. And you pay when your board...no advance payment necessary. So, if the excursion has to be cancelled, you're not out of luck AND out of money ;-)

I don't know about others, but to me it's a 'no-brainer' to skip an excursion if there's rough seas and I would be thankful, not angry. It's a small boat that you ride in out to the sandbar, about a 20-30min ride, and it's not the smooth ride you find on the cruise :-) Plus, you have to not only get out of that boat by climbing down the boat ladder into waist-high water...I mean think about it!

Anyway, I highly recommend the Nativeway tour...I'm sailing in April, and I intend on booking with them again.

Cindy

We did the Stingray tour both with Carnival in 1996 and Soto's Cruises (www.sotoscruises.com) a few weeks ago. We were concerned about not getting back to the ship on time so we went with the morning tour offered by Soto's (9:30 to 11:30am). We were picked up just down from the pier (1 minute walk) by Randy; brought directly to their catamaran and supplied with our snorkel equipment. We then proceeded to the Coral Reef where we stopped for 30 minutes and then on to Stingray City for another 30 minutes. We liked this company better because there were only 12 of us on the catamaran with three guys assisting us (Randy, Billy & Juan). Not only did we get my own underwater pictures, Juan took over a dozen pictures of us holding, petting, feeding and even kissing the Stingrays (you have the option to purchase them) and will be sending them to us in a couple of weeks. We would highly recommend this tour to anyone. We have been on four cruises and did a number of shore excursions and would have to say this one was our favorite. Everything from e-mailing Kerry with all of our questions to dropping us off back to the pier was perfect. We feel that this is the best $60.00 ($30.00 each) my husband and I have ever spent on our vacations.

I did the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point excursion with Nativeway in September and definitely think it's worth the 55$. Remember that this money includes an excellent lunch which you get to choose from a menu of 8-12 options and a drink. Grand Cayman is a very expensive place for food so this helps it be worth the money!!! The snorkeling and stingrays were awesome and rum point was just plain cute!

Archived