Drift Hotel Fort Lauderdale

cwbabe48

We just had sad news that the Alhambra Beach hotel is going away. Marriott property will be built there soon. So we are going to stay pre and post cruise at the Drift Hotel.

Can anyone review the property for me?. I love the area, close to the beach, and restaurants.

Thanks

Marcia

just tried to book on their website and it was a 2 night minimum :(

We only need one pre-cruise night.

All of the boutique hotels have two night minimums during season and it looks like the beach hotels are going that way also.

We just had sad news that the Alhambra Beach hotel is going away. Marriott property will be built there soon. So we are going to stay pre and post cruise at the Drift Hotel.

Can anyone review the property for me?. I love the area, close to the beach, and restaurants.

Thanks

Marcia

Did the Alhambra staff confirm this? When are they closing?

I contacted Alhambra this morning. They did confirm that there have been discussions with a developer, but no contracts have been signed and there are no closing plans at this time. So if anyone has or would like a reservation there, it is good to make a free backup reservation elsewhere, but no need to cancel. It remains a lovely value-priced hotel as of this moment.

I did notice a few months ago that the home to the east of the resort was up for sale, which can prompt a multi-property purchase.

Fort Lauderdale beach is certainly in transition, as foreign investors buy up multiple small hotels and renovate them very nicely. Very few have been torn down, so the area still looks interesting/vintage. Only the waterfront properties have been replaced by high rise hotels and chains. (Alhambra is not waterfront and they would have to buy up Casablanca Cafe and the entire block to make it waterfront. )

Edited by royalcruz

I contacted Alhambra this morning. They did confirm that there have been discussions with a developer, but no contracts have been signed and there are no closing plans at this time. So if anyone has or would like a reservation there, it is good to make a free backup reservation elsewhere, but no need to cancel. It remains a lovely value-priced hotel as of this moment.

I did notice a few months ago that the home to the east of the resort was up for sale, which can prompt a multi-property purchase.

Fort Lauderdale beach is certainly in transition, as foreign investors buy up multiple small hotels and renovate them very nicely. Very few have been torn down, so the area still looks interesting/vintage. Only the waterfront properties have been replaced by high rise hotels and chains. (Alhambra is not waterfront and they would have to buy up Casablanca Cafe and the entire block to make it waterfront. )

There is a Russian guys that is trying to buy up all those old hotels. He wants to rename that part of Birch Road and the beach North Beach which to me is stupid. The name 'Fort Lauderdale' is already a prestigious brand. It's like trying to rename the Mercedes. From my understanding (you can find this out at http://www.CraneSpotters.com) he already owns three or four motels and is tearing a couple of them down.