Suggestions: place to stay in san Francisco

Pre port days in San Francisco…best place to stay, best way to get around and best places to eat….

San Francisco is a very small city, only 25 sq miles, so just about any where you stay will work. I would suggest checking out places on line to see what places are of interest to you.... there are many high in hotels in the downtown area.

There is a Holiday Inn in Chinatown with amazing views of the city and bay.

There is Hyatt hotel on Market Street again over looking the bay.

I worked downtown for 30 years, retired 20 years ago.

You might ask your question on the west coast port boards as well.

Hope you have a nice time in San Francisco, beautiful city, of course, I am partial, I am a native - even though I don't live in the city now.

Pre port days in San Francisco…best place to stay, best way to get around and best places to eat….

San Francisco is a good walking city... taxis are an easy way to get around... public transportation is also easy.

Tadish Grill, on California Street, is a place I would would recommend -- good fish and many other items on the menu... has been operating for over 100 years.

San Francisco is a very small city, only 25 sq miles, so just about any where you stay will work. I would suggest checking out places on line to see what places are of interest to you.... there are many high in hotels in the downtown area.

Hope you have a nice time in San Francisco, beautiful city, of course, I am partial, I am a native - even though I don't live in the city now.

San Francisco is actually nearly 47 square miles.

The Holiday Inn in Chinatown is now a Hilton. It went through a major one year make-over a couple of years ago.

To the OP, as mentioned earlier check out the West Coast Departures board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Scroll down a bit you'll find plenty of discussion on where to eat n' stay.

Edited by Philob

San Francisco is a good walking city... taxis are an easy way to get around... public transportation is also easy.
Just don't chase after buses.... those hills are brutal on knees.

Actually, SF is 49 square miles (surrounded by reality). Some references say 47. But it truly is 49.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Tadish Grill, on California Street, is a place I would would recommend -- good fish and many other items on the menu... has been operating for over 100 years.

It's Tadich Grill (c not s) and though the food is fine, you'll find a much better meal next door at Perbacco. Other options (perhaps closer to the pier) include Slanted Door in the Ferry Building and Number 1 Market (across the street).

Skip Fisherman's Wharf for food with the exception of Scoma's (locals do eat there). For an evening's entertainment that is classic SF, get tix to Beach Blanket Babylon in North Beach (several excellent Italian restaurants nearby -check Trip Advisor [with a grain of salt].

If you've got points to burn, stay at the Hilton, Marriott etc. downtown.