6/28 Epic Med Cruise - Day 1

suzan99

We learned the hard way, only with a town car guy who snagged us at the airport. I gave him two €50, and he insisted I gave him two €10. I'd sorted my money that morning, so I knew he was trying to scam me. I hollered POLIZIA and insisted on taking his number. My husband, who was out of the car with our luggage, said that vehicle was rocking during our altercation.

Lesson learned: if a driver approaches you, just say no.

Another time, a taxi guy offered to take us from Termini to the Pantheon for €35. Ha! A four block walk. Always find the legal taxi stands. If it's a busy spot, there will be one guy directing you to the next taxi in line.

Live and learn. Rome is my favorite city. It took several trips to understand the procedures, but we got some good stories out of our misadventures.

There is now a new train service from Naples to Sorrento, which I understand calls only at Herculaneum and Pompeii. It costs a bit more than the Circumvesuviana but is faster and has aircon. Some of the passengers on the Circumvesuviana are a bit scary so this may be a better option. I understand it is a summer and Autumn service only and has a limited number of services a day so you need to do some advance research.

Today was probably our most frustrating day. We decided not to rush out and to take the cruises $15 round trip shuttle to the train station and then the train to Pisa. We left the ship around 10:30 am and before we got on the shuttle we specifically asked the women “is this bus going to the train station” and she said yes. The bus was very hot, finally someone got up and asked the driver to turn on the AC. He either had not known how to work it or just wasn’t going to turn it on but it felt like 100 degrees inside!

The bus stopped in the town center, the driver had everyone get off – most of the bus was upset because they, like us were all expecting to go to the train station. Make sure you figure out and ask a few times if the shuttle is going to Livorno central or the train station. We tried to get a taxi but there were none at the taxi stand. My husband and daughter just wanted to go back to the ship so we walked around and shopped for a little while then then went back to the square to catch another shuttle back and I walked around Livorno for a while and then asked for directions to the train station. It was about 1 ½ miles but was very hot out. I should have taken the bus, but didn’t realize it would be so far. The #1 bus goes to the train station so I would take that.

The train station was quite run down and Livorno isn’t the nicest city. It felt safe enough though. The train to Pisa only took 12 minutes. I had to walk through quite a few train cars to find one that wasn’t stifling hot. Outside the train station after asking a few bus drivers, I found the bus that goes to the Tower (I forgot the number). Pisa is a very nice town, much nicer looking than Livorno but of course, much more touristy.

I went to the tower and took pictures – but I didn’t go inside (if you want to climb the tower you need to purchase tickets online ahead of time). There was a touristy souvenir market next to the Tower that had lots of leather handbags that were quite inexpensive. I had a lunch at a restaurant near the tower – I’m sure it was touristy but it was already 2 pm and I was quite hungry. It was very hot outside that day.

I took my time and walked back through the major shopping street and did a little shopping. Some of the shops were closed for the afternoon (it was around 3-4 pm) but most were open. I got back to the train station and was on the platform and had to ask someone if the train was going to Livorno (I almost got on a train going to Florence).

My husband and daughter relaxed in the room and then went to the pool in the afternoon which I was in Pisa. If we had known they would stay on the ship – I would have taken the “Florence on your own” bus. Livorno is a port that it would probably be a good idea to do a tour since it’s hard to get a taxi.

Tonight we had reservations at 6:15 for the Japanese steak house. My daughter wanted to do a kids club activity at 7 pm, so because we were the only guests at our table we asked them if they could hurry the dinner and they were very accommodating and amused that we didn’t want to see the entire show. We’ve have a Japanese steak house at home so we’ve eaten there many times and didn’t want to spend 2 hours at dinner anyway. I think if we didn’t have the dining plan we wouldn’t pay the $25 pp fee here. Not because it wasn’t good – it was very good – but we can go to one at home anytime. We finished and then took our daughter to the kids club and then went to the pool bar for a drink. I think tonight was the “white hot party” so after the kids club we stayed at the pool bar for the family party, then went to O’Sheenan’s.

v7bi1u.jpg

2qd7p92.jpg

16gikk8.jpg

The Leaning Tower:

119pkrl.jpg

fa2zc8.jpg

The main shopping street in Pisa:

6p24rb.jpg

I didn't buy anything from the market in Pisa but I had wished that I had and they seemed willing to bargain. I thought I would see more places and then didn't feel like walking back in that direction (it was very hot). I did buy a dress from a store in the main part of town. I heard there is a leather market in Florence and would have loved to have gone there.

I think I over packed so I can't think of anything else I could have brought. The thing I really missed was I brought a noise machine so I can't hear my husband's snoring but when we plugged it into the converter in the apartment in Barcelona it got fried and didn't work after that :(

Really enjoying your review and the pictures! Can't wait to get back next year myself :)

Too bad there weren't others on your roll call to share excursions with or you could have signed up for trips on one of the tour share sites like RomeinLimo. They offer some great options and very nice pp prices. I plan on doing that when I go because I will be solo - unless I meet enough people on my roll call again (then I will gladly set some up again).

Nonetheless, it looks like you had a wonderful time and thanks for posting :D

No, we didn't eat in the Shanghai restaurant - didn't get a chance and my friend who had been on the cruise the month before said it was her least favorite.

I did look at the tour sharing sites to see if anything was offered but the only thing during our cruise timeframe was a tour from Naples which we wanted to do on our own. We even posted on the roll call to see if any other families were interested. There was maybe one other tour but it was all adults and didn't think that would be very fun for my daughter.

We were all looking forward to Cannes today especially my daughter. Since we had never been to Cannes, our plan was to just stay in Cannes. I wanted to do the Petit Train and then a little shopping and then the beach.

We reserved the 9:15 tender and were told to meet in the Manhattan Dining room by 9:05. There was a staff member directing everyone to get on the tender. The tender left at 9:15 and we were at the port by 9:30. We brought towels and swimsuits and didn’t feel like carrying them around so decided to get our beach chairs so we could leave some of our stuff there. We went to the Mace Municipal beach, it was public but had changing rooms, toilets and chairs/umbrellas. It was 30 euros for the full day. The 1/2 day rates are cheaper and they are the morning until 1:30 pm or 1:30 pm for the rest of the day. Mace Beach is on La Croissette near Mace St (one of the closest beaches). There is a little park nearby with palm trees and a carousel.

If we had it to do over again we would have done ½ day because we ended up walking to the beach, then walking almost back to where we started to get to Suquet to see the church and there is a museum but we didn’t go in. It’s a really nice very but you do have to climb a lot of stairs. We walked around and went in some shops on Rue d’Antibes, they have many of the French chain clothing stores and some nice shoe stores. There are also some gorgeous designer stores but we didn’t go in them.

We ate a restaurant near the bottom of Suquet and the waterfront. It was okay but not wonderful. There were a lot of better restaurants but we didn’t think our daughter would like the food. We had walked around in many of the shops and up the hill so we felt like sitting down for a while and they had pizza which she liked.

After lunch I went to the market and also found a street that had cheaper stores, cute candy shops, other stores selling tables clothes from Provence, etc. – Rue Meynadier. Then we went to the beach and stay there for a few hours and went swimming.

If I did it over again I would do the Petit Train (which takes you up to Le Suquet). My daughter didn’t want to do the train but I think after all the walking we did she would have preferred the train.

We got back to the tender port at 4 pm and the line was very line but they had lots of tenders so it moved quickly. We went got back to the swim we went up to the pool deck for a swim and then got ready for dinner.

Our reservation tonight was for Moderno. We asked my daughter if she wanted to eat a the buffet earlier so she could go to the kids club but she didn’t want to miss Moderno (Brazilian steakhouse). The salad bar was so good – they had so much to choose from. All the meats were wonderful - just as good a Texas de Brazil or Fogo at home. There were a table of kids sitting near us and they were so funny – one boy was saying it was a meat lovers paradise (lol). It was one of my favorite restaurant on the ship.

Tonight we had reservations for “Burn the Floor” at 10 pm so my daughter went to the kids club for an hour, we went to O’Sheenan’s for a drink then went to the show. It was very good.

30hshnd.jpg

2rw5ifs.jpg

2dim6u0.jpg

34niez7.jpg

2wgri81.jpg

Thx for the detailed review on Cannes! Love your pics as well.

Question - Is it close to where the Tender drops you off to take Le petit train?

Also - Can you give me directions to the public beach you went to from the Tender drop off point?

Thx for your help!

Here is a map of Cannes, I highlighted in yellow where you get off the tender and walk along the beach. You will pass the convention center and then a small park with a carousel, the first beach area is public but without any chairs/umbrellas. The next beach is Mace Beach.

20a9yzd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the tender at Cannes, you just made a reservation for the time you wanted to go. We chose 9:30 and had to be in one of the restaurants by 9:15. As we were walking toward the restaurant they guided us down to the tender, we got on and it left a few minutes later. Coming back at 4:00 pm there was a very long line for the tenders but it did move quickly.

In Barcelona I didn't notice if there was a place to get drinks. There were some shops. It seemed very chaotic (especially where we dropped off the luggage outside). The line was long and it took a while.

Hi there I am about to book epic aug 26. Can you tell me what side is best while in port to see land.

I'm on that sailing! I haven't been before but according to the research I've done, starboard is best for while you're traveling to see the coastline. As far as in port, I've read the ship may position itself differently in different ports, so there's no advantage to either side there. Somebody who's actually been on the cruise may correct me/have more info, but that's what I've read. HTH!

also was there anywhere to sit and wait with drinks and toilets before going through security did you notice? We will be there before boarding opens

I've done this cruise although I usually arrive early afternoon, between 1.30-2.30. There is basically nothing before you go through the port security, however if you are able to go through security there are shops, a few seats etc. Somebody who has arrived earlier than me though will be able to answer you're question more accurately.

We learned the hard way, only with a town car guy who snagged us at the airport. I gave him two €50, and he insisted I gave him two €10. I'd sorted my money that morning, so I knew he was trying to scam me. I hollered POLIZIA and insisted on taking his number. My husband, who was out of the car with our luggage, said that vehicle was rocking during our altercation.

Lesson learned: if a driver approaches you, just say no.

Another time, a taxi guy offered to take us from Termini to the Pantheon for €35. Ha! A four block walk. Always find the legal taxi stands. If it's a busy spot, there will be one guy directing you to the next taxi in line.

Live and learn. Rome is my favorite city. It took several trips to understand the procedures, but we got some good stories out of our misadventures.

I found this to be an issue throughout Europe. I finally got in the habit to read off and show each bill to the cabbie BEFORE handing him the cash total .. ;)

Wonderful review.. thank you for posting. I have been to all the ports a few times and enjoy them all. However, this will be my 1st time on an NCL ship and it will be the Epic.. looking forward to it.

As for the port in Barcelona, there is a small restaurant bar with some outdoor seating too. My wife and a good friend of ours sat here during embarkation to avoid the crowds boarding. I hope it is still there, this was a few years ago. I plan to visit it again this time around

Edited by kevmoley