Marina South Pacific snorkel on your own

wally_bushy

We intend to bring our own snorkel gear and are wondering if it is possible to disembark and snorkel on our own. The ship excursion prices are normally ridiculous and I wonder if private operators are required.

The water is there and we can snorkel .. do we need tours?

Our cruise is shown below and includes Moorea, Bora Bora, Pago Pago, Api and then Fuji and Noumea

Any feedback is welcome

We snorkelled using our own gear at Moorea, Bora Bora and two other Polynesian Islands last April. All were arranged with local tour operators through the roll call forum on Cruise Critic. The price in all cases was roughly half of what the ship charged, and in some cases we got more time or lunch thrown in. It worked out well, although there were a couple of minor issues with tendering times and priorities.

I would recommend going with the tour operators. They know the prime spots, most of which were quite a distance from the ship. You probably won't get to the best locations on your own. Some of them were offshore a bit and not accessible from land.

That said, the snorkelling we did was fantastic - the best we've ever done, especially the Coral Garden at Bora Bora. Don't miss it. Check out the roll call for your sailing.

Ditto what Sopwith said.

Good idea to take your own equipment - especially fins which I found to be very helpful if you do a drift snorkel like the one in the coral garden in Raiatea.

On BoraBora we did a 5 hour tour with 2 snorkel stops, lunch on a private motu and circumnavigation of the island with one of best known operators, and arguably the most "colorful" :) The "Aquarium" at the coral garden in BoraBora is accessible only by boat. The price was half of what the ship's tour cost was for a 3 hour tour and was excellent, probably our most memorable day in FP. We paid with CFP for even more savings.

If you're taking your own gear, you may want to consider shorty (swimmer's) fins if you don't already have them. Much easier to pack.

I heartily recommend going with operators on the islands. You can get an all-day tour (if you want one), lunch at a motu (pig roasts, specialty island dishes, etc.) and some sightseeing thrown in.

Snorkeling is fabulous. Here are my pictures from this past Christmas, if you want a preview. We were on the Paul Gauguin in the society islands, though we stayed 3 days on Moorea and I snorkeled right off our bungalow. You can see the big difference in conditions and sea life. As mentioned, the operators will take you to the best places.

https://www.facebook.com/ann.azevedo/media_set?set=a.10205602350957732.1073741854.1222008517&type=3

If you're taking your own gear, you may want to consider shorty (swimmer's) fins if you don't already have them. Much easier to pack.

I heartily recommend going with operators on the islands. You can get an all-day tour (if you want one), lunch at a motu (pig roasts, specialty island dishes, etc.) and some sightseeing thrown in.

Snorkeling is fabulous. Here are my pictures from this past Christmas, if you want a preview. We were on the Paul Gauguin in the society islands, though we stayed 3 days on Moorea and I snorkeled right off our bungalow. You can see the big difference in conditions and sea life. As mentioned, the operators will take you to the best places.

https://www.facebook.com/ann.azevedo/media_set?set=a.10205602350957732.1073741854.1222008517&type=3

Good advice about the fins as I am buying a new set.

I am having problems with the link (could be my end)