Carnival sunshine 6/27/15 review

DH88

We had a great time. I would definitely sail on Sunshine again especially since it is only two hours away. We had a balcony and inside cabins on the Lido deck, no refrigerators. We had no problem with noise. We noticed some leaks in the hall as well as in the comedy lounge.

The venues are very small but we always had a seat. I never felt the elevators were crowded and many times I was the only one in the area, except on port days. Sometimes on the larger ships it takes 20 minutes just to walk somewhere not the case on Sunshine. You can be anywhere in 5 minutes or less, which I liked. The kids did not join the clubs or socialize they hung with us. We stay out of the sun so never fought for chairs by the pool or the Serenity deck which I believe is why people have such a problem with Sunshine. We got the $99 internet package and the $25 social for my daughter which worked out great for us.

First stop Aruba which was beautiful we there was a nice wind so not too hot. We intended to go to Moomba but the taxi driver talked us into going to Eagle Beach. I saw the clamshells and jet skis and wanted to get out of the cab so we did but next time I probably would continue to Moomba. The clamshells with 2 loungers were $30 and the guy had a cart and made nice Pina Coladas ($8). The kids didn’t go on the jet skis after all but did do the tube pulled by speed boat.

Next stop Curacao, very pretty. We docked over by the Renaissance even though I had seen pictures docked in town. Again at the taxi stand we wanted to go to Mambo and were being talked out of it. We were being told the “better” beaches were 1 ½ away and a $50 cab ride and we were pushed to the side to wait for someone else who wanted to go to Mambo. Thankfully a couple arrived who loved Mambo and in fact talked another couple into going as well. I believe we paid $5 each, 15 minutes away. There is a $3.50 per person admission to the beach. Since we were the only ship in port at every stop there was no problem renting the “bed” lounger ($9), drinks were good about $9 each. The new BLVD shopping area was very nice. There was a Subway there if you wanted a cheap lunch as well as other restaurants and shops.

Last stop was Grand Turk-Margaritaville. We rented the Cabana and Omar was great, just ring the bell and he was there quickly. The pool was not as crowded as I have seen photos since we were the only ship. The line at 3-3:30 to get back on the ship was looooong and they finally opened the second entrance which made it faster. [/size][/font]

Edited by DH88

We are on the Sunshine next March with the same itinerary, so it was nice to hear your port tips. In Grand Turk we've always just done the beach right at the port. We've never been to Aruba and Curaçao, so we are always looking for ideas. Thanks for your review!

Thanks for the review!

I've never been to Grand Turk and am going there on my next cruise. Any tips or tricks? :)

Grand Turk is one of the easiest ports. Just get off and walk down the dock to the beach. We loved renting the Cabana and would do that again especially if there are other ships in port. It was really nice having our own waiter and plus air conditioning was very nice and cooler than I expected. If the beach is not your thing there is shopping and a museum right there as well. The FunTimes did recommend you not head off and to stay in the tourist area. I have also read there is not much to set off to see.

Grand Turk is one of the easiest ports. Just get off and walk down the dock to the beach. We loved renting the Cabana and would do that again especially if there are other ships in port. It was really nice having our own waiter and plus air conditioning was very nice and cooler than I expected. If the beach is not your thing there is shopping and a museum right there as well. The FunTimes did recommend you not head off and to stay in the tourist area. I have also read there is not much to set off to see.

Good to know. Thank you :D I'm not a big lay on the beach person, but I do like to snorkel. I'm sure I'll wander around and do some shopping as well.

We had a great time. I would definitely sail on Sunshine again especially since it is only two hours away. We had a balcony and inside cabins on the Lido deck, no refrigerators. We had no problem with noise. We noticed some leaks in the hall as well as in the comedy lounge.

The venues are very small but we always had a seat. I never felt the elevators were crowded and many times I was the only one in the area, except on port days. Sometimes on the larger ships it takes 20 minutes just to walk somewhere not the case on Sunshine. You can be anywhere in 5 minutes or less, which I liked. The kids did not join the clubs or socialize they hung with us. We stay out of the sun so never fought for chairs by the pool or the Serenity deck which I believe is why people have such a problem with Sunshine. We got the $99 internet package and the $25 social for my daughter which worked out great for us.

DH88; can you give me a "overall impression" of the ship, it's condition and facilities? Sunshine will be sailing out of our area next year and we are considering an Oct cruise. I've read a number of reviews that were less than complimentary. Thanks

DH88; can you give me a "overall impression" of the ship, it's condition and facilities? Sunshine will be sailing out of our area next year and we are considering an Oct cruise. I've read a number of reviews that were less than complimentary. Thanks

Overall it is a fine ship. Some venues are very nice and practically empty most of the time but show venues cannot accommodate the amount of passengers. Unfortunately for those who want to swim or lounge in the sun it is not ideal. The pool is minuscule and the chair hogs are not controlled. I saw a pizza sit on a chair for hours. Plus it just cannot measure up to the larger ships but I think the price reflects that. We did notice the leaking a few times so if that would ruin your cruise as others have said, this seems to be a persistent problem. We chose Sunshine for the itinerary and departure port and wouldn't hesitate to go on Sunshine again.

Overall it is a fine ship. Some venues are very nice and practically empty most of the time but show venues cannot accommodate the amount of passengers. Unfortunately for those who want to swim or lounge in the sun it is not ideal. The pool is minuscule and the chair hogs are not controlled. I saw a pizza sit on a chair for hours. Plus it just cannot measure up to the larger ships but I think the price reflects that. We did notice the leaking a few times so if that would ruin your cruise as others have said, this seems to be a persistent problem. We chose Sunshine for the itinerary and departure port and wouldn't hesitate to go on Sunshine again.

Thank you very much. The size of the pool doesn't concern us but would affect the grandson. The fact that some of the cabins do not have refrigerators would be a let down for us as we love our cold soda and chilled wine. Again, thanks!

Thanks for the review!

I've never been to Grand Turk and am going there on my next cruise. Any tips or tricks? :)

The first time we went there we took the bus tour so we could see it all and hear history of the island nation. It was well worth it to us and left plenty of time for the pool or beach afterwards.

We like to pick up gifts for those at home at the Ron Jon Surf Shop and/or Piranha Joes both of which are there at the port. The both sell items with Grand Turk on them besides their own logos.

I was told that all the staterooms on Sunshine, even the inside cabins, had refrigerators. Is this not true?

I believe the cabins that have fridges are the new cabins that was added during the transformation from Destiny to Sunshine. Thought there was a thread somewhere that said which cabins was included with fridges but could not find it.

Thank you very much. The size of the pool doesn't concern us but would affect the grandson. The fact that some of the cabins do not have refrigerators would be a let down for us as we love our cold soda and chilled wine. Again, thanks!

My experience has been the refrigerators don't get very cold. We bring a collapsible cooler, one that has a liner and doesn't sweat.

The cabin steward will keep it filled with ice and I always tip him extra after a couple of days to let him know we appreciate it.

WE are booked next April on the Sunshine for a 9 day Journeys cruise. it always fascinates me to read reviews on this ship. More tan any other ship it seems to be either love it / or hate it. I personally think it's whatever you make of it. Seems like to get all of the 2.0 bells and whistles they had to sacrifice space , so yes , it's going to be crowded in certain areas and at certain times. But honestly , every ship we've been on has been that way.it seems like on this ship you have to plan and work a little harder to make it work for you. Looking forward to sailing on her next year and seeing what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for the review!

Just 5 mins away from the ship, you have a choice of a somewhat rocky beach or Margaritaville.

Margaritaville is where we go... Free beautiful pool and lounge chairs

We were on the same cruise with you. Did you have issues with your toilet not flushing and then it would flush minutes later? We did and we were talking to our steward when the room he was cleaning flushed behind him and he said "phew" and said their are issues with the system that they can't get to to fix.

Great cruise! Great review!

thanks everyone for the refrigerator answers. I also thought that I read a review from someone on deck 1 inside that had a refrigerator. Maybe my mind is going? I will try to do another search.

thanks again

Someone that has intimate knowledge will hopefully chime in. I was on 2nd deck interior and had no fridge. I have heard that there are fridges in some of the interior and maybe oceanview but from what I remember it was not very many.

Not sure on Balconies and I just assume all suites have them.