Doctor's Note/Special Accomodation

zippyjet

I just got back from first cruise on the Ecstasy (with my Mom who also uses a CPAP machine) and not only was our cabin cold, it was freezing! We actually pulled "something" out of the closet (I think it was something for under the bottom sheet if you complain that the bed is too hard, because it did not look like a blanket to me!) to put over us at night! :p

]I'm thinking that "something out of the closet" was for putting under your luggage on top of the bed so the bed doesn't get schmootzy. If that's what it is, it had a leather top with Carnival's logo, the bottom was actually a soft furry texture. But, I guess it can be pressed into service to warm you up if you are chilly. I only hope my cabin is that cold. And as mentioned warm cabins can even be on the lower levels where there are less or even no balconies. BTW, newer ships like the Dream series have a feature for the balcony cabins: Open the door to your balcony and your A/C shuts off. ........

The luggage protector is stored under the bed as it is stored rolled, not folded, too wide for the closets. Extra bedding is stored in the closet. By the description it was probably a twin-sized duvet without its cover that was used.

The AC button can be easily overridden, so that's no guarantee.

Thousands of passengers sail Carnival every week and of those a mere handful post on web sites that a room temperature was uncomfortable for them. If room temperatures were as hot or cold as the few seem to think I would think that the issue would stop many many cruisers from cruising...but that doesn't seem to be the case.

As for the OP blocking the return air vent on the door....that in no way will keep their room cooler....in fact restricting air flow will jam up the system and will cause the system to run with a significant loss of efficiency. Think about the fact that if you want a house to cool faster using natural air you open a window on opposite walls to get the air circulating.

The OP also needs to do some research about how you can cool the air in your CPAP machine..The CPAP itself will generate warmer air through the humidifier whether the air temperature is cooler or not. Cool the mask, use ice water...check the internet, there are lots of suggestions.

Thousands of passengers sail Carnival every week and of those a mere handful post on web sites that a room temperature was uncomfortable for them. If room temperatures were as hot or cold as the few seem to think I would think that the issue would stop many many cruisers from cruising...but that doesn't seem to be the case.

You have no way of knowing IF the issue is or is not stopping cruisers from cruising (or cruising again). Not sure anyone is basing anything off a handful of posts from a few websites, since it's personal experience, and is subjective to personal preferences and potential needs.

For example, I do not like to sweat sitting around in common areas of a ship.

I certainly demand good ventilation and cooler temperatures in any closed area I am in, not just on a cruise ship. People can wear more clothes or layers to be warmer if they need be, whereas I can't be around the ship butt naked to avoid/prevent sweating through my clothes, unnecessary fatigue, and potential breathing issues while simply hanging out on vacation.

More importantly if a hotel (or cruise ship) can't provide or maintain a private cabin/room comfort control level between 68 to 75 degrees, selectable by the guest, they are doing something wrong. These aren't pirate ships.

Okay, A/C again. I know it's a recurring problem on any number of ships at any number of times, and one cabin from cruise to cruise will either not experience the problem, or the occupants feel differently about temperature, its a pretty subjective thing.

Just like hotels, the ships have an industry standard, usually within a couple degrees plus/minus of 72. They do not guarantee that any given room will be able to be kept below that temperature range. This is what is meant when someone complains on the ship about a cabin that is too hot, and is told that it is within their specifications. Basically, as long as the room is within their corporate range, they will not offer compensation for a complaint.

While the cabins do not have a "thermostat" marked in degrees like you have at home, there is usually a temperature control device that works on the same bimetallic principle, just not as precise as your thermostat. Even the older Carnival ships have a temperature control on the air inlet, but this just adjusts the damper.

The public spaces are cooled by large air handlers that provide ventilation to each public space separately. But, only 20% of this ventilation is outside, fresh air cooled for delivery, 80% is recirculated through other air handlers for re-chilling. Exhaust fans remove 20% of the air to balance the air brought in, and generally this air goes through an enthalpy wheel to accept heat from the incoming fresh air as a cost saving measure.

Cabins are similar. A group of cabins on a deck (all those within a single fire zone) will get outside air through a common air handler. This provides 20% of the ventilation again, and the temperature of the delivery air is set for all cabins in that zone. Then there will be two types of cabin cooling. One will take air from several cabins, and recirculate this through coolers and back to the cabins (80%). This is the type used on older Carnival ships, and makes an individual cabin susceptible to the actions of other cabin occupants (if one or two leave the balcony door open, or curtains open). Newer ships use individual cabin coolers. The chilled water that is used to cool all the air on the ship (this water is chilled by the large A/C units in the engine room), is piped to each cabin, and sometimes under the vanity, or sometimes in the mechanical locker outside your cabin, there will be an air chiller and fan that takes your cabin's 80% recirculation air and cools it according to the setting on the temperature control knob in the cabin.

Exhaust air from your cabin is via the bathroom exhaust fan and the louvers you sometimes see in cabin doors (more commonly the gap under the door).

So, a doctor's note requiring a specific cabin temperature will most likely not be worth getting, and won't guarantee that your original cabin, or any they may or may not be able to move you to, would meet that temperature requirement, if it is outside industry standard.

I realize my reply is a little off the topic but...

I've had some mixed results, the first time I called they sent a maintenance guy up and he removed the cover from the vent and opened up the port so we got more airflow, room stayed cold as ice at night. During the day with the balcony curtain opened it did climb from the sun.

Second time I called (diff cruise) a maintenance guy came up and put a thermometer on the wall waited a minute and said that was the standard temp and he couldn't do anything.

Zippy, this is what works.

First are always empty cabins.

Second, get an inside cabin.

Third, the register can be pulled down from the ceiling to give more airflow.

That will make the cabin really cold.

Pulling down the register will not damage it, it is pressed into place to help regulate airflow.

My nephew has done this on the Magic, Breeze, Victory and Legend.

I don't recommend it, but it works well and caused no damage.

I was in the next cabin.

Edited by fireofficer5

Of course it's hot outdoors. But I dress for the weather and am prepared with hydration and I know my body when too much is too much. When lying down and trying to sleep it's sort of difficult to sleep and hydrate at the same time. Also in a stuffy confined area there's less air movement. I don't feel it's too much to ask for a comfortable sleeping area. Especially when paying a fair amount for your vacation. Hotels for example that have central climate control systems that are inefficient or where the owners/bean counters are being stingy get downrated and get a bad reputation. If you think the language and reviews and opinions here at Cruise Critic are colorful and comedic at times go over to Trip Advisor. I and other cruisers have enough luggage to schlepp and I try to pack as little or as light as possible. I don't feel I should have to worry about taking a fan. Though there are many small ones out there if the room is that hot one of those tiny battery powered fans is akin to a bandaid to a gunshot wound.

Ok, I get it, you need a very cold room. However, a Doctor's note, will not change the mechanical capabilities of the air handling units. You will not get a room, on any cruise ship, that you can adjust below 70. Your doctor can't help you. You will be lucky to get it below 72. However, you might consider a northern cruise such as to Canada, or Alaska. The reason people suggested a fan, is because if you need something outside the norm, than it is up to you to cover it. Based on you comment with the bandaid on a gunshot wound, it makes more believe the cruise in a 95 degree climate is the the best choice.

Forgive me for being rude but I am always amazed at how many passengers have a list of "demands" that they feel should be accommodated by the cruise line as part of their fare. Hundreds of cruise passengers sail everyweek with various medical issues from allergies, use of assistance devices, dietary restrictions, mobility restrictions, etc.

I think cruise lines like Carnival are wonderful in their attention to passenger requests and their desire to see people being comfortable. But, I think it is the passenger's ultimate responsibility to "only" travel if they are able to adjust to different scenerios that may occur on a ship.

For the OP I hope you find a very cool cabin but, like others have said, you should choose your room wisely. Interior cabin, mid ship, surrounded by other cabins (not service rooms, storage, mechanical spaces, stair wells, that may or maynot be climatized) on 3 sides and above and below. Stay away from lobby areas. Don't book anything on the outside, front or rear of the ship. Cold air falls so lower decks are more often cooler than upper decks (isn't that why we all freeze in the dining rooms).

Also, the bigger the ship the more passenger cabins and the more demand for cool air. Probably best to restrict your travels to smaller more intimate ships with few balcony rooms and exposure to direct sunlight (rooms that gobble up the available cool air). I would think the Dream class ships should be expressly avoided if you want guaranteed cold air because many passengers interrupt the cooling system by keeping their balcony doors open meaning the system works under less than optimum conditions.

Bring a battery operated fan, put your temperature adjuster on the coolest setting and don't touch it again. And remember you are choosing to cruise with a "condition" and a ship isn't prepared in all instances to adjust to the personal needs of each and everyone sailing.

I totally agree.

If OP gives Carnival a doctors note requiring a specific temperature, then Carnival should cancel his cruise.

If he has proof that he required special considerations and Carnival says that his needs can be met....and there is an issue...Carnival will be leaving itself open to a lawsuit.