Arles, Avignon, or Aix-en-Provence on Sunday

epixx

When we docked In Marseille, we did Aix-en-Provence, Les Baux-de-Provence and Arles all in one day. I am not sure which day of the week we were there, but loved all three spots. If I had to just choose one, it would be Aix-en-Provence. I would love to go back there!

Just so you know...Les Baux is an old Roman ruin..stone quarry that has become an artist colony,shops etc. so it is quite unique on it' own...Aix is a small town( touristy,but quaint) and 2nd on list and Arles would be third...IMHO. I am qiite sure Les Baux would be open and moost likely Aix..not sure re Arles. Le Baux has some great little shops re French items. Avignon is a city and the old city is quite intersting re Palais du Popes and some good restos. Could be crowded on Sunday.

Have to agree with cberge. Sunday's are different in France because in most larger cites like Arle, many shops and restaurants will be closed. The French do not like to work on Sunday so one should plan accordingly. But Sunday's are also somewhat special because certain places actually flourish on that day of the week. As cberge suggests, Les Baux is one of those places. We have also posted (many times) that our favorite place to go on a Sunday morning is L'Isle Sur La Auge where they have one of the best outdoor markets (food, antiques, and just about anything else) in all of France. Of course the challenge for the cruiser is how to get there from the port by 11am (much of the market starts to close by noon). Another wonderful place (especially on Sunday) is the small village of La Fontaine de Vaucluse. As to large cities, Avignon would be the place to go on a Sunday. Although most of the stores are closed, there is still enough to make most tourists happy.

One problem with cruises is the limited time in ports, Another is the cruise line excursions which often avoid many of the best places because of their own logistical problems. We also see excursions taking cruisers to places on Sunday where most things are closed...which makes little sense. A couple of years ago I was walking from our rented apartment to a bakery in St Remy and stumbled on a cruise tour (yes, they were following a lady carrying a cute tour sign) taking a bus load through the near empty streets (just about everything is closed in St Remy on Sundays). They could have done better by taking their charges to the Roman ruins located just outside St Remy, but the guide told me that it was not on her itinerary. The cruise line excursion itineraries are often designed far in advance without regard to the day of the week. A bummer.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner