Conflicting Data on Website

After a few years, mainly on other lines, we are booked on couple of Royal Caribbean cruises. I am a ham radio operator and usually bring my radio when cruising on Princess (who have no problem with it). However, in reading the website for Royal Caribbean it says, in one place, no HAM (sic) radios allowed, but another place says you may bring " two-way radios, more commonly known as walkie-talkies, for onboard personal communications. Basic specifications are as follows: Up to 10-mile coverage range, Up to 5 watts power, Internal Voice, Operated Transmission, No external mounting antenna."

This is a contradiction, as my ham radio IS a 5 watt short range HT (sometimes called a "walkie-talkie"). It's push-to-talk, not voice operated, but most hand helds, such as the popular FRS radios, are not voice operated either.

So, the question is: in light of the contradictory info, has anyone operated an amateur HT onboard an RCC ship, and has it been allowed?

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

You need to call RCI. It really doesn't matter if anyone on this site has, or has not, been allowed to use your equipment. That would not be definitive. Call Royal and explain the issue. If they say you can use it, get it in writing. Still, any Captain writes the rules on his ship so, who knows?

Just a guess here, but I don't think they would be able to tell the difference between a 2m/440 radio and a GMRS type radio. However, I think they would have a problem if you brought a big HF radio.

To answer you question, I've brought a 2m/440 HT before and was able to listen to some of the marine communications. I did not transmit.

Edited by clarea