Price Question

JC1026

My husband and I are taking our 2 daughters (ages 4 &6) on their first cruise next year (August 2016). I was looking at the Sunshine 8 days from NY. Right now an ocean view cabin is 4,500 for early saver. When does the category of a "guarantee" cabin usually become available? Is it worth waiting? We are not picky about the cabin or views.

My husband and I are taking our 2 daughters (ages 4 &6) on their first cruise next year (August 2016). I was looking at the Sunshine 8 days from NY. Right now an ocean view cabin is 4,500 for early saver. When does the category of a "guarantee" cabin usually become available? Is it worth waiting? We are not picky about the cabin or views.

Not sure I understand your question but think you are asking when you get your cabin assignment.

That comes usually 1-3 weeks before the cruise.

this is more about not having to fly with our kids because it would just be easier and we are from Jersey. What I meant about the guarantee- was the fares they usually have that your guaranteed a room in the category you choose BUT you do not get to choose location it is just given to you

this is more about not having to fly with our kids because it would just be easier and we are from Jersey. What I meant about the guarantee- was the fares they usually have that your guaranteed a room in the category you choose BUT you do not get to choose location it is just given to you

We have used guarantees more than once. Never a bad location.

If you are confident about your dates you might look at Carnival's Early Saver rates. Price protection up until 2 days before sailing. Early saver rates appear until 5 months prior to sail date.

We loved the Sunshine, but it is one ship that I wouldn't book a guarantee cabin on. There are many great cabins, but there are also a number of cabins with real issues (e.g. lobby deck cabins under the main show room, which doubles as a late night disco several nights. There are some that are ok, but an equal or greater number with noise complaints). Just my two cents. Enjoy whatever cruise and ship you choose :)

We loved the Sunshine, but it is one ship that I wouldn't book a guarantee cabin on. There are many great cabins, but there are also a number of cabins with real issues (e.g. lobby deck cabins under the main show room, which doubles as a late night disco several nights. There are some that are ok, but an equal or greater number with noise complaints). Just my two cents. Enjoy whatever cruise and ship you choose :)

You have a good point. I really am not picky about my room but I have no problem sleeping anywhere as my only prerequisite is to lay down. They put a roof on my house while I slept, so I am good. But I have never found another person like me.

The OP will need to call carnival with her question because the information she provided is so minimal.

I do not know much about cruising from that port, but isn't the price she gave high for 4 in an OV? I know it would be from my home port.

That price seems a bit high for an OV. I didn't pay much more than that last year for 4 people in a 2 bedroom Haven suite on the NCL Breakaway out of NYC. I would look at NCL out of New York. They are currently running a kids sail free or half off promotion as well as giving some nice freebies like the beverage package. Another option would be the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. You could get a balcony on that ship for about that price.

You have a good point. I really am not picky about my room but I have no problem sleeping anywhere as my only prerequisite is to lay down. They put a roof on my house while I slept, so I am good. But I have never found another person like me.

The OP will need to call carnival with her question because the information she provided is so minimal.

I do not know much about cruising from that port, but isn't the price she gave high for 4 in an OV? I know it would be from my home port.

I just went to Carnival website and priced the most expensive Sunshine 8 day (Journeys cruise) for 4 people, OV, no discounts. Early saver was indeed over 4700 :eek: That included over $700 in port fees, taxes, etc.

I just went to Carnival website and priced the most expensive Sunshine 8 day (Journeys cruise) for 4 people, OV, no discounts. Early saver was indeed over 4700 :eek: That included over $700 in port fees, taxes, etc.

Thanks for looking. That is high in my opinion. For that kind of money I would be looking around.

Of course, with early saver, you would have the chance at a price drop, you would not have that option with a guarantee rate.