Non-Indian or less spicy Vegetarian options?

Jenniell

I'm seeing a lot of vegetable, pasta and fruit suggestions in this thread but there is more to being vegetarian than not eating meat.

There needs to be protein in order to be healthy. (beans, nuts, seeds).

Is she going strict or is it ok to eat eggs and seafood?

Looks to me like some research needs to be done to help this 9 year old understand what is involved and what things MUST be eaten to be healthy.

She will need to understand that eating pizza at every meal is not healthy.

Sorry if I don't sound too understanding :o - but I was a health and biology teacher for 38 years and I worry about some of these "diets" kids begin without the knowledge of what the body requires to stay healthy.

I'm seeing a lot of vegetable, pasta and fruit suggestions in this thread but there is more to being vegetarian than not eating meat.

Looks to me like some research needs to be done to help this 9 year old understand what is involved and what things MUST be eaten to be healthy.

Sorry if I don't sound too understanding :o - but I was a health and biology teacher for 38 years and I worry about some of these "diets" kids begin without the knowledge of what the body requires to stay healthy.

We are watching what she's eating. And of course we don't let her have pizza everyday, but what 9 year old wouldn't try? She is still eating eggs and dairy so we aren't worried about her getting protein. We don't eat that much meat to begin with, maybe once a day. The MDR choices are 90 meat or spicy so I was worried about her choices. One of her favorite things about cruising is getting dressed up EVERY night to have dinner, since we rarely don't cook at home. I was more worried that she would no longer enjoy one of her favorite things because of lack of options. Thankfully everyone on here has told me several options I hadn't thought of to help her be able to eat as she wishes and not have to go to Lido and skip the MDR. Thank you for your concern over my daughters health but she's doing great as always.

I don't find the Indian food too spicy but I am not a 9 year old child. Does your ship have a Tandoori buffet? If so, I suggest going straight to that upon embarkation and letting her sample whatever vegetarian dishes they have that day. See if they are spicy. If she doesn't like it then no big deal, just don't load up the plate and you wouldn't have wasted much food. The MDR vegetarian plate wasn't any spicier than anything I had on the buffet, from what I remember.

Other than that, I am sure there are other options on the MDR and she could always ask for more sides and give the meat to someone else at the table. The spring rolls are great, for sure.

Edited by BigB0882

That's what we thought as well. I figured it would be over the moment she realized there was not going to be any bacon for our Saturday morning omelets. We don't have any close friends or family who are vegetarians so we weren't sure exactly where this came from. She has far more drive and resolve than her father or I ever had at her age. This might last a few more days or it could be a permanent change. Who knows? But I figure it's always better to support her instead of write it off as a phase. If only I could get her as passionate about cleaning her room...

I became a vegetarian at an early age also, around 9 or 10 ,though my mom says I never really ate meat! I think it is a very healthy lifestyle! I am over 40 and not over weight, no high blood pressure, high cholesterol or Diabetes! I wish her much luck and commend you for your support!

I became a vegetarian on a whim when I was 19 without doing any research about it. My aunt was a vegetarian and it was kinda more of a "I wonder if I could do that?" idea. The scientist in me feels the need to randomly experiment on myself. For example, for a year in HS I stopped watching tv and movies above PG to see if I could resensitize myself, and as a result found my self being more compassionate toward real suffering.

The movie thing didn't stick, but the vegetarian thing has because I realized it was a more ethical lifestyle and am pretty driven by ethics (which is certainly not a bad thing to cultivate in kids! :) ). Basically I began talking to lots of people who were also vegetarians who had some pretty convincing arguments about why it was better and decided to keep at it. About two months into my sophomore year I was concerned about why I was tired all the time and realized I was anemic. It's definitely a learning process (learning things how like, beans and rice together have the full amino acid spectrum so you're getting "complete" protein, etc.) In my case I need to add dark green veggies to get adequate iron when I'm feeling anemic, and I ended up adding the occasional fish meal to my diet as well, which makes eating out much easier. If she ends up finding a vegetarian lifestyle difficult, fish is a good thing to add for most of the reasons that people become a vegetarian (they're less intelligent than other animals so arguably suffer less, the industry is less destructive to the environment than other animals). You end up learning tons about nutrition and eating becomes much more of a eating for nutrition thing without totally giving up the eating is fun aspects of life. Every time one of those lists come out that list super foods I always laugh because I eat all of the stuff to get the nutrition I am not getting anymore from meat. I am definitely still overweight (as I was when I was in HS playing basketball and tennis, as I was before I stopped eating meat, as I'll probably always be… stupid thyroid), but doctors are always shocked at how my blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc are better than the normal range which is very unlikely for someone who is overweight. It can be an incredibly healthy lifestyle you just need to know what you're doing.

I just got into Indian food recently. A lot of it is not very spicy, it just has what a westerner would consider unusual spices (like cinnamon in a non desert food). Cinnamon is definitely not like cayenne, but it is still spicy.

I think mexican and italian tend to be some of the more vegetarian friendly genres and I'm not sure what your ship has in terms of restaurants but my cruise has an Italian fee restaurant for lunch and dinner, and a free burrito place that's open for breakfast and lunch. Spanakopita is a great option for vegetarians too… lots of iron in all that spinach and the cheese for protein. :) Greek food in general can be pretty friendly. Falafel and hummus are some of my fav things (but I don't think cruises have that so now I'm just rambling, haha)

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to say that I found out from another poster today that you can request veggie burgers from Guy's if they have one those on your cruise. Looking forward to partaking of that on my cruise. I got that info from this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233509 . You might want to check out that thread. The mom in that family is vegetarian and there's toooons of pics of yummy food to eat for vegetarians.

Also, I think someone already mentioned this but if she keeps up with it her body stops making the stuff that you need to digest animal fats. I have to be so careful about checking to see if a soup is made with chicken broth or they fry the veggie burgers in the same oil as their chicken tenders, etc because you can get violently ill from animal fat (like two days couldn't do anything sick). People just don't get that and waiters will tell you something is vegetarian and if you ask if it's made with chicken stock they will say yes. xD She will probably be fine a month into not eating meat but it's something to keep in mind. No point in dealing with her feeling sick for no reason.

Edited by godspoetry
too many smileys haha

The waitstaff will be able to tell her which Indian vegetarian dishes are spicy and make suggestions for her. Seems like there is usually a pasta dish that can be vegetarian or have protein added on top which they can easily leave off. Otherwise, she may be having a lot of her meals on the buffet. The mushroom pizza is delightful, I order quattro fromaggio with mushrooms regularly, if she is still eating dairy. However, at the age of 9, 10 days without meat may change her mind. If she is not getting a lot of protein added to her diet in the next 10 days, she may be too tired to complain. My 10 year old grandson tried this out as well, but only lasted a few days when he discovered that vegetable proteins are, in his words, "gross". So he bellyed up to the Guy's burgers by cruise time.

I literally LOL at this. My 13 y/o DD becomes a vegetarian every other week. She's trying so hard to be like me (not a vegetarian, but don't eat beef or pork), but alas she's never really met a burger she didn't like, therefore usually only lasts about 2-3 days.

Am I the only person who thinks its commendable she wants to not eat meat and that I hope she sticks with it??

It's not a joke people really

Take her seriously

Wow. :confused: Just re-read all the posts & didn't see any that indicated that it was a joke. Sure, some questioned whether, at age 9, she would stick with it, but that's not calling it a joke...many 9 year-olds aren't capable of making and sticking to long-term decisions. Her parents know her best and time will tell if she does. I thought most posters offered rather good advice/suggestions.

The vegetarian meals - either the Indian vegetarian or the vegetarian selection each day usually contain a non-meat protein source (like the enchiladas have beans, there's a tofu dish, etc.) but what about those days when the dishes are either spicy or too far out of her comfort zone? I think the OP can be sure that when the menu vegetarian dishes aren't acceptable to her daughter, there are some standbys that will work (like macaroni and cheese or pizza along with a side of vegetables).

I'm one of those vegetarians that people say stop lying I am a Lacto vegetarian pescatarian lol. What that means is I don't eat chicken, red meat, pork or drink milk. I only eat fish, I do eat eggs. I have always had great meals on cruises. Does she eat fish?

I'm one of those vegetarians that people say stop lying I am a Lacto vegetarian pescatarian lol. What that means is I don't eat chicken, red meat, pork or drink milk. I only eat fish, I do eat eggs. I have always had great meals on cruises. Does she eat fish?

You're a pescatarian. Fish is a meat- you can't eat it and be a vegetarian. Your diet is entirely up to you, but words mean things.

She won't eat fish. Her first rule was nothing with a face but then she decided that clams and scallops were out too. She is still eating cheese, milk, yogurt and eggs.

We did finally figure out where she picked up the idea. My brother raises chickens and rabbits and any that don't sell become meals. So far he has sold all of them but it has always been discussed as the back up option. I think she saw where food really comes from and decided she didn't want a part in it.

She won't eat fish. Her first rule was nothing with a face but then she decided that clams and scallops were out too. She is still eating cheese, milk, yogurt and eggs.

We did finally figure out where she picked up the idea. My brother raises chickens and rabbits and any that don't sell become meals. So far he has sold all of them but it has always been discussed as the back up option. I think she saw where food really comes from and decided she didn't want a part in it.

I have been one for 7 years. My daughter who is 15 and wants to be a

Veterinarian decided she wants to be a vegetarian as well because she doesn't understand why people would hurt animals. It's been a year since she has had any meat.

My 10 year old is a Ovo-Lacto-Pescatarian (he eats eggs, dairy and fish). He HATES Indian food (I love it). He's fine on cruises, he has pastas, pizzas, veggie omelettes, seafood dishes and so on. And he adores the Mongolian Wok noodle bowls!!! If your daughter is strict Veggie, she can have all those, minus the fish. It's harder for Vegans, but still very doable.

My 10 year old is a Ovo-Lacto-Pescatarian (he eats eggs, dairy and fish). He HATES Indian food (I love it). He's fine on cruises, he has pastas, pizzas, veggie omelettes, seafood dishes and so on. And he adores the Mongolian Wok noodle bowls!!! If your daughter is strict Veggie, she can have all those, minus the fish. It's harder for Vegans, but still very doable.

I forgot about Mongolian Wok for lunch! So delicious and lots of choices for vegetarians and non vegetarians alike :)

My daughter ate spaghetti w tomato sauce three times and cheese pizza twice for dinner on the last cruise... She is not veggie, but is seven. They also have PBJ. From room service and deli, she can get grilled cheese (amazing ones at that!). Also, having been around three very picky eaters, let me say her recent change to veggie may change by next week. Or when she get test a on the ship and sees burgers and hot dogs and all the food everywhere all the time. Don't focus on it, don't push her, and you'll be amazed :). But there re will be PLENTY for her to eat either way.