Cove balcony or balcony?

scot9191

Looking at a cruise way out and it's like $4 more a day for balcony over cove balcony. We have only sailed once and just had ocean view. What's the difference in the two and is it worth it? Aft balcony is 15 bucks more, but in sailing on the sunshine my wife did not care for the vibration in the dining area. Afraid she would hate sleeping aft. Any thoughts?

The coves are great. You are still 3 decks above the water line--so not exactly on the water, but because there is the outside lanai on deck 5 that surrounds the ship, standard balcony cabins above deck 5 do not get to see directly down to the water like non-dream class ships. In addition, a cove balcony has more leg room than standard balconies--45 sq ft vs 35 sq ft.

Here is a cove...

th_DSC07687_zpsk1kovte6.jpg th_DSC07633_zpscmtdyjfb.jpg th_DSC07201_zpsrughf2ep.jpg

Standard Balcony...

th_DSC05881_zpsajemaoii.jpg

Hope this helps and hope you have a great cruise regardless of the type of balcony you choose. Bon Voyage!

Coves are awesome, I wouldn't trade a cove for a reg balcony. However, I love the aft extended balconies and other that the vibrations coming into port, I don't remember having any other vibrations on the Breeze

Okay everyone! Sing along with the Beach Boys. "Good good good good vibrations......." Sorry. Couldn't resist. :D

I have sailed lots of balconies. If I had the opportunity to sail on a ship with cove balconies, I would chose a cove any day. As others have said, they are slightly larger, closer to water line, etc. What I really like is they "seem" much more private. And the shade is great! Usually, as you indicated, they are slightly cheaper. Also, it is quiet. Except for the water noise.

Location of the cove does matter, IMHO. Try to choose one mid-ship to aft. Spray from the ship's wake can be problematic for forward cabins. Anything midship elevators and back seem to not have this issue.

AFT balconies I do not care for at all because there is no shade unless you get an aft wrap. I love the sun, but it gets really hot out there and usually, you get ZERO breeze back there. Vibrations do not bother me.

I feel that the best coves are the ones forward from the midship elevators, because those would be below the dining room or the lobby. The dining room is empty all night long, and the lobby is quiet overnight. If you are in a cove back from midship, then you are below the galley/kitchen. Many of those rooms are fine, but some will have loud noise above them during the overnight hours & the daytimes. There have been many complaints about this. If you were below the galley, it would be wise to pick an exact room that someone else has been in and says is quiet at night. If you pick a random room below the galley, you could end up with loud noises keeping you up at night. But any room below the dining room would be no risk at all.

I also prefer coves to regular balconies. It's great to be so close to the water. It's also a convenient location, so close to the dining rooms & other nighttime entertainment. You will never need an elevator when the elevators are getting slammed, as long as you can handle a couple flights of stairs.

Edited by k2excursion

No matter what any of the rest of us have as a preference the choice of balconies is more about your choices such as...

Cove balconies are on deck 2...its an elevator ride or multiple flights of stairs to the activity centers up on the Lido deck. If you enjoy filling a plate at the buffet and taking it back to your room you may not want to be that far away from the "action".

Cove balconies are more isolated...great if you like solitude. They can feel claustrophobic, yes you can look down and out at the ocean but your peripheral views are pretty limited.

Cove balconies are shaded pretty much 24/7. Great if you have sun aversions not so great if there are times of day you would like to feel the sun caressing your face.

Being so low cove balconies don't provide the people watching venues...you can't see onto promenade, don't get the great views when docked at port...but then people can't see you either.

Cove balconies can be a bit problematic with noise issues if you happen to have one below the galley areas. You have more choices with upper deck balconies as far as getting cabins above and below you.

Have fun deciding on your location....

For what its worth we always sail on Deck 7 midship next to the suites. Works well for us but we like our balconies to overlook the ship and we like to people watch.