Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

What is NCL trying to do? All these changes make them look desperate and w/o a clear vision. In the few months I've been following the cruise since I made my reservation they keep making changes, then retracting them, then making other changes, then tweaking those changes, etc. This does not look good, at all. It's not prices or nickel and diming anymore. It's about a line lacking stability and an executive suite that's set their heart on:

1. confusing current and future passengers with changes in pricing and dining

2. alienating loyal fan base

3. shooting themselves in the foot

I can't for the life of me understand why they don't just raise the fares by $5 per day per person if that's their end goal anyway. Its locked in, its "hidden" by the overall cost, and you could even make it progressive where higher cabin classes pay more. Given the overall fluctuation in prices (our cabin dropped by $300 per person) I'd have to imagine that it would be less alienating to just raise fares rather than giving off this hint of desperation and/or disdain with all the rinkydink add-ons/takeaways.

Just received the email for my December cruise on the Star. Funny thing is, I'm sailing in three weeks on the Getaway and haven't received notification for that one yet.

I'm really just about over the whole thing. It's not even worth discussing any further. NCL is using gratuities as a way to permanently lose my business. And understand, I have NO problem tipping anyone....never have and never will...but 18% on each drink I purchase and 18% on the UDP, plus now this? Over it...just over it.

Maybe this was the plan in the first place, and they wanted to implement the increase incrementally so it wasn't so drastic to cruisers? Who knows. I wasn't involved in the decision, thankfully, because I already have too much on my plate to have to be involved in running this business. ;P

This is pretty astonishing, given they last raised DSC less than six months ago. I can't imagine the revenue raised will be significant enough to offset the bad taste in folks' mouths, and the feeling that the price increases and changes simply aren't stopping. At least THIS change is just a quantitative one, rather than the qualitative changes (like switching to an "a la carte" pricing model) that will actually destroy much of the enjoyment of cruising.

And, LOL, the fact that the right hand is incapable of adjusting the left hand's website is classic NCL.

I haven't received anything either. Mine were booked through CAS though. Maybe they haven't notified anyone. We have prepaid gratuities as one of the promos we got when we booked so its an even a better deal now. I'm surprised they raised it again so soon. The ink is barely dry on the first increase.

They probably knew they were going to do this but didn't want to raise it all at once so decided to raise it a little in March and then a little more in August.

It doesn't seem as much for some to go from 12 to 12.95 but from then from 12.95 to 13.50 but to go from $12.00 to $13.50 seems like a lot!

Harriet

They probably knew they were going to do this but didn't want to raise it all at once so decided to raise it a little in March and then a little more in August.

It doesn't seem as much for some to go from 12 to 12.95 but from then from 12.95 to 13.50 but to go from $12.00 to $13.50 seems like a lot!

Harriet

OMG, I just posted the same thing a couple posts above this. LOL! We have been on the same wave length a few times lately, which is freaking me out. I might need to leave the forum. :p

Did NCL send this to you regarding your December cruise? I sail a couple of weeks before that and don't have anything?
Trying to figure out why some got the email and others didn't. Did you by chance either pre-pay your DSC for your cruise or get free DSC?

Never mind, TracyE answer my questions about if you pre-paided it, would you get the email.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I can't for the life of me understand why they don't just raise the fares by $5 per day per person if that's their end goal anyway. Its locked in, its "hidden" by the overall cost, and you could even make it progressive where higher cabin classes pay more. Given the overall fluctuation in prices (our cabin dropped by $300 per person) I'd have to imagine that it would be less alienating to just raise fares rather than giving off this hint of desperation and/or disdain with all the rinkydink add-ons/takeaways.

Their top execs are blind to the notion that simplicity in pricing is better for business long-term. And that sneaky-backhanded pricing changes and term changes cause actually the opposite.

If me and my family weren't so excited about our upcoming cruise, I'd seriously consider canceling. Again, to me $0.50/pp/day makes no material difference. But to me is the fact with all the changes I'm getting the uneasy feeling I'll be getting a nasty bill at the end of the cruise with all sorts of extraneous charges.

Huh. We booked two cruises on the Escape - one for November and one for January - before the first DSC increase earlier this year. We have not yet pre-paid the DSC for either, and it is still showing as the $12 per person, per day on each reservation. We plan to pre-pay before each of our cruises, but hadn't planned to do so until closer to our sailing dates.

Wonder if the $12 will stick or if we'll just be upped to the $13.50 amount (we're in a balcony). The email didn't say anything about people with cruises booked before the first DSC increase who have not pre-paid, unless I missed or misunderstood it.

I have no problems with the DSC and tipping the hardworking staff. Just wonder what our amount will be...and may just pay at least one before the August 1 date.

Trying to figure out why some got the email and others didn't. Did you by chance either pre-pay your DSC for your cruise or get free DSC?

We haven't gotten the email (yet), but have the free DSC promo. Seems like they'd just send the email to all current passengers as a heads up (given that we could "rebook" with a subsequent promo), but given their history, I'm surprised that they've even taken the step of emailing anyone rather than allowing people to find out on their own.

Maybe this was the plan in the first place, and they wanted to implement the increase incrementally so it wasn't so drastic to cruisers? Who knows. I wasn't involved in the decision, thankfully, because I already have too much on my plate to have to be involved in running this business. ;P

Now, these are DSC, which, if I'm correct are "voluntary". So who's to say, you couldn't go to guest services the last day and say you will pay $12pp/day instead of the $13.50. They can't make you pay $13.50 if those are gratuities. I'd hate to be seen like a flaming ahole, but really, NCL isn't doing their staff any favors.

Their top execs are blind to the notion that simplicity in pricing is better for business long-term. And that sneaky-backhanded pricing changes and term changes cause actually the opposite.

If me and my family weren't so excited about our upcoming cruise, I'd seriously consider canceling. Again, to me $0.50/pp/day makes no material difference. But to me is the fact with all the changes I'm getting the uneasy feeling I'll be getting a nasty bill at the end of the cruise with all sorts of extraneous charges.

Right, and as I've said in other threads, this continues to erode my confidence that what I was told I was purchasing last March will be what I receive next May.

Edited by Cauzneffct

Well, I didn't prepay my DSC in Feb. and I should have. So I'm just going to have to do it now. I cruise in Jan. 2016 and when I log in to myNCL and go to Pre-Pay Service Charges, it says unable to display at this time. Is this a typical problem with their website? I can just call and pre-pay I suppose.:confused:

I'm not one to join the bandwagon complainers...but man they have one terribly inconsistent product. I've never been on an NCL cruise yet and already have experienced a number of changes. For someone who doesn't stay up to date with this type of stuff, I could see how they could be in for a shock when it's time to sail.

I totally get what people say about booking your cruise and rate "x" and having no idea what product you will receive when you're actually on board :eek:

This is my first NCL cruise as well and since I've booked, they've changed the DSC, room service policy and the dining packages (several times). Not to mention the cost of my preferred excursions went up by at least $20 each (multiply that by each excursion for 5 people and you're looking at a couple hundred dollars). The last two excursion price increases were within a couple weeks of each other. Constant changes like that make me a little uneasy about booking with NCL in the future.

Now, these are DSC, which, if I'm correct are "voluntary". So who's to say, you couldn't go to guest services the last day and say you will pay $12pp/day instead of the $13.50. They can't make you pay $13.50 if those are gratuities. I'd hate to be seen like a flaming ahole, but really, NCL isn't doing their staff any favors.

I would agree with you. I prepaid them at the old rate for the Breakaway, and they are included on the SA Sun trip. This is getting to be absurd

I couldn't agree with you more!

A month out from sailing I saw H9 Haven Spa Suites drop from $2999 pp to $1999 pp overnight on April Breakaway cruise. Probably other cruises went UP by hundreds of dollars per person at the same time. Would anybody REALLY notice if 40 percent of NCL cruises had their price increased by a whole $10 -- which would raise the same amount of revenue as this latest DSC increase?!

I'm no "genius captain of industry" but this just seems crazy.

One could still pre-pay the DSC at the old rate of $12.95 and not have to go through the mess of going to guest services. Edited by NLH Arizona

Let me see if I understand this correctly.. I've not received any emails from NCL for either of my reservations but we also are new to the line so maybe that's why some folks are getting the emails and others aren't.

For our August Getaway cruise, we have free gratuities so won't be affected.

For our May Med cruise booked in June, our final payment isn't for many, many months. If I understand what Hooptroop posted-as long as I pay the gratuities prior to final payment I'm still locked in at the June rates. Right? I don't want to pay that now-it's a big chunk of money for two people for a 12 day cruise!

Wonder if they will allow people to pre-pay at the $12.95 rate by a certain date, like they did when it changed from $12 to $12.95, I think that would only be fair.

Yes, we are beyond final payment and our reservation gives us the option to prepay at the $12.95 rate.

I still think two increases within ~six months is a bit much.

Edited by mizlorinj

I couldn't agree with you more!

A month out from sailing I saw H9 Haven Spa Suites drop from $2999 pp to $1999 pp overnight on April Breakaway cruise. Probably other cruises went UP by hundreds of dollars per person at the same time. Would anybody REALLY notice if 40 percent of NCL cruises had their price increased by a whole $10 -- which would raise the same amount of revenue as this latest DSC increase?!

I'm no "genius captain of industry" but this just seems crazy.

Yeah, its been a bizarre past few months. All of these piecemeal changes to marginally increase on board spending while at the same time offering free UBP as a promo and depriving themselves of (potentially) hundreds of dollars per person in on board spending.