Explorer of the Seas review 29th June 15, 13 nights Western Med cruise.

Thanks for advice, yes we are hoping to be off the ship as early as possible, luckily we are in a suite so get priority tender tickets (might be the best perk of the cruise).

I will prepare teens that train may be very busy, they are used to very busy tube trains so should be ok. I have already told them that even if lifts are busy when we get to station it is worth waiting rather than climbing stairs!

Also tell the to watch their phones, apparently pick pocketing is prevalent on the trains. We made our girls keep them out of sight whilst on the station and on the train.

Climbing the stairs was kind of funny. I did feel the pressure of heading the correct way seeing as I gathered several folk following me lol. Phew I got it right. lol

We were on Tender number 5 (I think) and were on it at 9.45am and went straight to the station in Villefranche.

We ended up on the 10.04 (I think) to Monaco and there were about 5 people on the platform waiting! There was another train about 10 minutes earlier so maybe that was a bit busier, but I'd definitely say the earlier the better.

We were in Monaco about 10.15ish and had a good 4.5 hours there before getting the train to Nice, where we spent a further 2 hours, before getting the train back to Villefranche, where we had about an hour - just enough time for a wander round and to sit and have a drink overlooking the bay. Mmm lovely!

seeing how easy it actually was, next time we would hop on and off the train at the different resorts.

We were on the train, the one before you, it was busy but there were very few folk stood up.

I'm looking forward to being back in the area next year when we are in Cannes on Epic.

Also tell the to watch their phones, apparently pick pocketing is prevalent on the trains. We made our girls keep them out of sight whilst on the station and on the train.

Climbing the stairs was kind of funny. I did feel the pressure of heading the correct way seeing as I gathered several folk following me lol. Phew I got it right. lol

Thanks for the tip, think I will tell them to leave them in the safe, they don't have EU calls and text on their phones anyway.

2 more sleeps!

Michelle x

We were on Tender number 5 (I think) and were on it at 9.45am and went straight to the station in Villefranche.

We ended up on the 10.04 (I think) to Monaco and there were about 5 people on the platform waiting! There was another train about 10 minutes earlier so maybe that was a bit busier, but I'd definitely say the earlier the better.

We were in Monaco about 10.15ish and had a good 4.5 hours there before getting the train to Nice, where we spent a further 2 hours, before getting the train back to Villefranche, where we had about an hour - just enough time for a wander round and to sit and have a drink overlooking the bay. Mmm lovely!

That's good to know as my teens have hinted that they would also like to go to Nice purely to go to Hard Rock Café shop - bit of a tradition they have to go to one on each cruise.

Did you buy separate single tickets for each train journey?

Michelle x

That's good to know as my teens have hinted that they would also like to go to Nice purely to go to Hard Rock Café shop - bit of a tradition they have to go to one on each cruise.

Michelle x

For Monaco and nice you would need separate tickets unless they do some sort of day rail pass because from villefranche they are in opposite directions to each other. Nice is west of villefranche and Monaco is east.

If hard rock cafe is a tradition for the kids there is one in Palma.

Turn right out of the dock and walk along the marina towards the cathedral and you can't miss it.

For Monaco and nice you would need separate tickets unless they do some sort of day rail pass because from villefranche they are in opposite directions to each other. Nice is west of villefranche and Monaco is east.

If hard rock cafe is a tradition for the kids there is one in Palma.

Turn right out of the dock and walk along the marina towards the cathedral and you can't miss it.

Thanks,

Palma was last years stop (remember it well as air con had broken in restaurant - we went for lunch) and Lisbon the year before, hopefully Barcelona next year (stopped there last year too but boys had to do stadium tour!!)

24 hours and I will be on my way to port!

Michelle x

Thanks,

Palma was last years stop (remember it well as air con had broken in restaurant - we went for lunch) and Lisbon the year before, hopefully Barcelona next year (stopped there last year too but boys had to do stadium tour!!)

24 hours and I will be on my way to port!

Michelle x

Have a fabulous time. Andrea and her gang are enroute to Southampton as we speak. I'm so jealous lol.

I've just arrived in Southampton! We're in the Novotel in a room overlooking the cruise ships. We'll be able to see the Explorer when we wake up tomorrow morning. :)

4th floor by any chance? We had a cracking view from room 425. Andrea is in the grand harbour. If you walk passed there tonight and see a lady sat on a balcony with a bottle of rose that's my friend lol.

Enjoy!

4th floor by any chance? We had a cracking view from room 425. Andrea is in the grand harbour. If you walk passed there tonight and see a lady sat on a balcony with a bottle of rose that's my friend lol.

Enjoy!

On the 5th floor in room 525, so yes, a great view of our ship this morning!

Excellent review Cymru cruiser. I'm certainly enjoying it as I am a beginner cruiser and will be on the Explorer of the Seas, Jan 2016. I do love the WIFI and daughters comment as I know I will be having the same problem with my daughters and our port visits will be half focused on where they can get WIFI.. Just wondering in normal ports does it take long to get off the ship? I'm planning activities and was checking how long it might take to work out booking times for pick ups? And is there much of a line for activities on board (flow rider) or you just pick the right time to go there. Thanks.

On the 5th floor in room 525, so yes, a great view of our ship this morning!

Andrea has just what's app'd me photos of her view of explorer this morning from the grand harbour. Plus her and her son walked out to take a photo from the dock gate. It's timed 0629am. I assure you that before today she didn't know that a 629am existed!!!Lol.

Edited by cymru cruiser

Excellent review Cymru cruiser. I'm certainly enjoying it as I am a beginner cruiser and will be on the Explorer of the Seas, Jan 2016. I do love the WIFI and daughters comment as I know I will be having the same problem with my daughters and our port visits will be half focused on where they can get WIFI.. Just wondering in normal ports does it take long to get off the ship? I'm planning activities and was checking how long it might take to work out booking times for pick ups? And is there much of a line for activities on board (flow rider) or you just pick the right time to go there. Thanks.

Hi thanks for reading my review, I'm glad it's been helpful to you.

It doesn't normally take long to get off once the ship is docked. The delay in Palma is the first we've come across.

If a ship docks at say 8am it's normally cleared by customs and the gang ways set up by 830am so if you are being picked up at the port go for 0845-9am.

Sometimes they dock early and are cleared early and that's a bonus.

As for queues for the flow rider, yes there will be but they don't last long and its good fun because you can have a laugh at/with the current surfer whilst you are waiting.

Please do not hesitate to ask any more questions.

I've just had a fab phone call. My friend Andrea who has boarded explorer this morning (they were on board by 11am!!) Phoned to say she had someone who wanted to say hello. I said ok and heard her pass the phone over I then heard " good morning miss m' how are you and miss j'"

Omg!!! I just spoke to Aviv in cafe promenade on the phone! Love him! We had a brief chat I told him I'd mentioned him as outstanding on our post cruise questionnaire and wished him a good cruise and lots of laughs with my friends.

Very funny.

Hi Cymru, just wondering which evening was your first formal night on? I know on other ships it was either the 2nd or 3rd night onboard but that was on 7 night cruises and we're doing a 10 night in August so it might be different. I ask because it will be my mum's birthday on our second night on board and she was hoping it would be a formal. :)

Hi Cymru, just wondering which evening was your first formal night on? I know on other ships it was either the 2nd or 3rd night onboard but that was on 7 night cruises and we're doing a 10 night in August so it might be different. I ask because it will be my mum's birthday on our second night on board and she was hoping it would be a formal. :)

Hiya yes it was our second night on board which was the first sea day. So fingers crossed it will be for you too.

Michelle x

Sorry - only just seen your message.

We bought all the tickets at Villefranche ticket office. We asked for a ticket to go from VF to Monaco, Monaco to Nice and Nice to VF. If I remember correctly it cost €19.20 for the two of us (around £15) - better than the $90 each on the ship excursion!!

Edited by minsterman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Karen

Bogdan was our drinks waiter in the MDR and was also to be found during the day on the pool deck , fabulous guy who helped me lower the Moët stock on board the ship . An English mixologist called Lee was onboard on our sailing (also the 29th) who was amazing .

Hi Karen

Bogdan was our drinks waiter in the MDR and was also to be found during the day on the pool deck , fabulous guy who helped me lower the Moët stock on board the ship . An English mixologist called Lee was onboard on our sailing (also the 29th) who was amazing .

Thank you to both of you for letting us see your huge aft balcony cabin. It was lovely to meet you both.

Hi Karen

Thanks for the info.... Moët is my drink of choice too.... So hopefully they will have restocked by 2nd Sept [emoji6]

Hi Cymru Cruiser. Sorry to keep resurrecting your thread and sorry if this has already been asked but I was wondering if you had a copy of one of the sea day cruise compasses. We're just thinking about what to do on our "days off" so to speak! If you do have one could you either post it here or email it to me at mwickwar at btinternet dot com. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk