Louvre Recommendations

pdx13

WE have two days in Paris which means we will have only about four hours to visit the Louvre which is hardly enough time to even see selected highlights. However, in order to maximize our experience I am hoping for some suggestions about absolute "not to be missed" exhibits, and mapping a route through the museum. Also considering whether a guided tour might make sense since we have so little time. Appreciate any recommendations.

It's good that you are thinking through this in advance, but "not to be missed" really is in the eye of the beholder. Are you trying to check important artworks off a list, or trying to see things that are of particular interest to you? For example, I thought it was incredible to stand before the Code of Hammurabi, others might not care at all.

Tons of info on the internet (and guide books) about what is in the Louvre (besides the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo, both of course on everyone's "must see" list, and with good reason), and strategies for visiting, so you may want to start there, and plot your routes once you decide what you want to see.

Here, for example, are just a couple of articles I found with a quick Google search:

http://www.vagobond.com/10-things-to-see-in-the-louvre-cultural-travel/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/parisandaround/727407/Paris-How-to-visit-the-Louvre.html

We visited the Louvre on our own, so I can't help on the guide question.

I don't know what two days of the week you'll be in Paris, but know that the Louvre is closed on Tuesdays. And depending on what else you plan to see, you should consider the Paris Museum Pass, which will let you skip the line at the Louvre and many other places.

I hope you have a great trip!

Let me add to what I wrote above that Rick Steves's Paris guide book has a long chapter on the Louvre, with a suggested DIY tour (and maps) for which he says to allow "at least two hours." You can download a free audio version of that tour onto your smartphone or other mobile device via the free Rick Steves Audio Europe app (which I recommend in any event).

Have fun!

I would highly recommend a guided tour. We were in Paris last year, on a very tight schedule, and we did a guided group tour at the Louvre. I think it was about 3 hours long, and worth every penny. The museum is huge, crowded and more than slightly overwhelming. Our tour guide was fantastic, and guided us through the major exhibits and through the crowds! I think if we would have tried it on our own we would have been very frustrated. Just my two cents worth!

Let me add to what I wrote above that Rick Steves's Paris guide book has a long chapter on the Louvre, with a suggested DIY tour (and maps) for which he says to allow "at least two hours." You can download a free audio version of that tour onto your smartphone or other mobile device via the free Rick Steves Audio Europe app (which I recommend in any event).

Have fun!

90% of the visiters line up at the pyramid entrance. Here's a link to all the other entrances. The porte des Lions entrance does not always staff the ticket booth so I suggest buying the tickets at the Tobacco store inside the Carousel Entrance and try to get in there. the carousel entrance also has "ticket machines" which accept credit cards and the line is seldom long. If the Carousel area entrance lines are long you can then head over to the lions entrance with ticket in hand.

http://www.landingstanding.com/secret-entrance-to-the-louvre/

The Carousel entrance is about 100 yards from the Pyramid entrance towards the obelisk of Luxor. Look towards the sides of the walkway for the concrete entrance stairs leading down to the carousel/mall.

Edited by lamchops