Liberty runs 2 cruises simultaneously from different originating ports!

QTPieRye

Just when I thought I knew almost everything about cruising!!!

Tonight I learned something that I found surprising...... the Liberty runs 2 cruises simultaneously from 2 different originating ports! i.e. Sunday to Sunday from SJU 7 night and an "international cruise" Wednesday to Wednesday from Barbados 7 night!

Has anyone been on a cruise that does this? Obvious question ~ how do they handle the muster drill?

I have not sailed on the Liberty but all the cruises where we went to Barbados were like this. We board in San Juan like normal, several days later we are in Barbados. They have their muster drill that afternoon before the ship sails.

This happens with many cruises out of San Juan.

I think Our Valor cruise did this.

They just had two muster drills. The one for Barbados passengers didn't have all the ship's alarms and such, but they 'had' to attend.

It's a great way to purchase booze mid-cruise if you don't do Cheers. Make friends with someone getting off in Barbados and slip them some cash to purchase from the duty free. They'll get it the night before and pass it to you on Tuesday.

gary

(Unless they decide to keep it :) )

gary

This happens with many cruises out of San Juan.

I think Our Valor cruise did this.

They just had two muster drills. The one for Barbados passengers didn't have all the ship's alarms and such, but they 'had' to attend.

It's a great way to purchase booze mid-cruise if you don't do Cheers. Make friends with someone getting off in Barbados and slip them some cash to purchase from the duty free. They'll get it the night before and pass it to you on Tuesday.

gary

(Unless they decide to keep it :) )

gary

Awesome concept!

Years ago when the itinerary included Aruba, you could board Sunday in San Juan, Wednesday in Barbados and Friday in Aruba.

Most pax aren't even aware of the process because it's not a large number of people boarding in Barbados just around 150

Edited by DaytonCruiser

They made an announcement on our June Liberty cruise that all Barbados embarkers had to attend a "quiet" muster drill. There were more people than I expected boarding and debarking in Barbados!

• 2 weeks later...

Done this a few times, love Barbados and the stay there before a cruise. We do have a quiet drill. We also have a very noisy drill at Puerto Rico where the staff tell us to just to carry on and enjoy, 'stay at any bar', then throw us back to our cabin minus our drinks. A drink, alcoholic or not, is not allowed at a drill. I got a little peeved last time because the staff told us one thing and then changed their minds. No co-ordination.:mad:. Still embarking in Barbados next month though.:D.

The concept makes sense.... I just was very surprised I'd never heard of it! And of course, with a group of nearly 70 people travelling with me.... the first question is always.... How will they know if we miss the muster drill?

While every seasoned cruiser has been and there and done that..... IMO it is just one of those things that you should not miss!

They have done this for a few years now, but Americans could not board in Barbados, so it never showed on the US Carnival site. Now something has changed & Americans can board in Barbados, but I'm not sure what.

Americans could always board in Barbados. At times it would show up on the US site, if not, anyone from anywhere could just call carnival to book the cruise.

They have been doing this for over at least 15 years.

It's usually pax from the UK because it's cheaper with better connections from London.

Our US friends joined us for a week in Barbados before boarding Valor 2 years ago. Embarkation was a doddle, only about 40 of us joining the ship, fastest check in ever. We are just hoping it is as easy this time, the Carnival site will not let us do the on-line check in, it keeps crashing when we put in our telephone number, and it is a legal necessity for us. Lets hope our TA and Carnival sort it out by September 9th.:D.

My first cruise on the Tropicale back in 1995 boarded passengers in both New Orleans and Tampa. We boarded in New Orleans, sailed to Tampa and those who embarked in Tampa got off and a new bunch got on. Then we sailed to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, then back to New Orleans.