Buffet Etiquette

Mark-Sheffield

Having sailed on Arcadia,Oceana, Azura and Ventura we have never had a problem using the buffets for breakfast, the buffet on Arcadia was the best laid out for any meal.

The buffets on Azura and Ventura although perhaps not the best laid out are fairly simple the entrance is clearly marked, there is a hand wash station you pick up your cutlery and tray you then proceed to wherever you wish to pick up your choice of food IE: Cereal, cold cuts, hot breakfast.

However we always have those who enter through the exit and then proceed to select their choice of breakfast from each station having no regard for those who have entered the buffet in the proper manner, I normally only have cereal, then I will re-enter using the entrance, bypass those waiting for cereal/ cold cuts and will proceed forward to hot breakfast where without elbowing in will select those items from the hot selection that I wish and thereafter exit via the clearly marked exit where no doubt I will encounter those who enter the buffet via the CLEARLY marked exit to make their breakfast selection, this does ANNOY me as they cannot obviously read/ recognise a no entry indication.

I have no problem with someone entering the buffet via the entrance and having a walk round to see how the buffet is laid out prior to making their meal selection but I do resent those who are too lazy to walk to the clearly marked entrance and just walk into the buffet via the exit to obtain their meal and someone doing so in front of me with be subject to my wrath without being polite.

I think the idea of "you haven't matched my idea of politeness so I'm going to be ruder than you are" isn't the way to develop peace and harmony in the world. Is the inconvenience to yourself really so bad that you have to leave behind civilised behaviour? Some things are worth getting yourself in a tizz about. Someone walking in through an out door, IMO, isn't one of them.

On a Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago we got off the plane at Barbados and there was a delay boarding the coaches due to our plane being delayed and two planes arriving early. So three full aircraft waiting for coaches.

Anyway, the male half of a couple got fed up of waiting after 40 minutes and started screaming at the local handler to the point where he was nearly arrested. That was the start of the holiday !!!!

Edited by Mark-Sheffield