Buffet Etiquette

Mark-Sheffield

I always walk around the buffet before picking up a tray. I like to see what is available first. I don't join the shuffling sheep who seem to think that they have to queue up and proceed in one direction only around the plethora of serving counters. That's not how it works! If P&O intended to have one queue for everything the buffet would have one long counter, not separate stations with duplicate dishes on some of them.

I won't elbow my way in or push people of the way, but if there's a vacant area that serves what I want then I'll head towards it regardless of there being ten people standing at another counter waiting their turn!

I always walk around the buffet before picking up a tray. I like to see what is available first. I don't join the shuffling sheep who seem to think that they have to queue up and proceed in one direction only around the plethora of serving counters. That's not how it works! If P&O intended to have one queue for everything the buffet would have one long counter, not separate stations with duplicate dishes on some of them.

I won't elbow my way in or push people of the way, but if there's a vacant area that serves what I want then I'll head towards it regardless of there being ten people standing at another counter waiting their turn!

Same as me, I can't believe anyone does anything else - I would not shuffle along past the salads if I only want hot food. Also I don't get desert until after I've eaten the main, what should I do then, queue all the way round again ?

I can't believe that this subject has so many replies - surely it is just commonsense and manners.

I don't see why this thread has degenerated into snide comments like "shuffling sheep". The fact is that surely nobody is bothered about people having a look at what is available. The problem is when people push in. They are in the minority by far. If you are passing down the salad counter and someone joins at the end and heads back along the counter then that is surely bad manners. I have had people pushing across me to get something that they have missed because they started at the end. The problem with people coming in the exit is that others are heading out the exit with a full tray. In my experience the ones going in are usually moving a lot quicker than those coming out.

Its all about consideration and manners and taking your time and not where you join the queue.

The Britannia buffet has numerous islands and generally doesn't have this problem.

While people are in the queue for their dish of choice what do you do if you want the same item? Go straight to this item and push in as some do?

Depends on how the buffet is arranged.

If there is a short line of six or seven items set out with barriers to indicate how the queue should flow, then join that.

If it is a hundred foot line or islands, then just wait for a gap, and serve that item.

NONE of the above. Most people are capable of deciding if they want an item at first glance. You either want it or you dont. Theres no need to wander round and spend ages pondering and agonising if you really want something, only slightly want something, want something less than you might want something else etc etc ad infinitum.....:rolleyes:

I think, sea green, the way you do things may be different from how other people do. You can no doubt read down a menu once only and make your selection. Other people dither. They take longer to make their mind up. And there's nothing against the rules about that, dithering is allowed (though occasionally irritating, especially to the easily irritated). It's the same with a buffet.

Here's a separate question, to those who think you shouldn't sit down until you have your food. My brother starts with salad, my mother starts with soup, I start with a main course. If we haven't got a table, do we:

(i) each look for a table and first to succeed shouts "TABLE" to attract the others' attention?

(ii) meet up at a prescribed point (which must by definition be in someone else's way) before looking for a table en bloc;

(iii) eat at separate tables;

(iv) all have the same food rather than choosing separately;

(v) any other suggestions?

Because I don't like any of the above.

I think, sea green, the way you do things may be different from how other people do. You can no doubt read down a menu once only and make your selection. Other people dither. They take longer to make their mind up. And there's nothing against the rules about that, dithering is allowed (though occasionally irritating, especially to the easily irritated). It's the same with a buffet.

Here's a separate question, to those who think you shouldn't sit down until you have your food. My brother starts with salad, my mother starts with soup, I start with a main course. If we haven't got a table, do we:

(i) each look for a table and first to succeed shouts "TABLE" to attract the others' attention?

(ii) meet up at a prescribed point (which must by definition be in someone else's way) before looking for a table en bloc;

(iii) eat at separate tables;

(iv) all have the same food rather than choosing separately;

(v) any other suggestions?

Because I don't like any of the above.

Ha ha neither do I! Seriously, this thread is an absolute farce. Are people really reading what they are writing? It's making me dizzy just reading it all.

I still have no idea what the 'correct' way or what the 'rules' are regarding buffet etiquette.:D

I had no idea people put so much thought into what they believe to be the correct way to go in and out of the buffet without upsetting or offending someone by not obeying the so called 'rules'.

I have manners and know how to behave but no idea if my way is the correct way...I dont even know if I'm making any sense now! :D:confused:

Because of all the hassle of buffet we try to avoid, apart from embarkation day, when its unavoidable. We normally go in the MDR for all our meals. But on the odd occasion we have ventured in the buffet people's manners leave a lot to be desired and as the OP i was interested to see what other passengers experience had been.

Because of all the hassle of buffet we try to avoid, apart from embarkation day, when its unavoidable. We normally go in the MDR for all our meals. But on the odd occasion we have ventured in the buffet people's manners leave a lot to be desired and as the OP i was interested to see what other passengers experience had been.

OMG - And we have not yet discussed the "theft" of food items from one's plate, by total AH jumpers, whilst positioned in a queue. :eek::eek:

Methinks there may be more P&O appalling "buffet experiences" about to surface. :eek:

OMG - And we have not yet discussed the "theft" of food items from one's plate, by total AH jumpers, whilst positioned in a queue. :eek::eek:

Methinks there may be more P&O appalling "buffet experiences" about to surface. :eek:

There's a lot more to be discussed on the subject. What about those filling up several water bottles from the buffet water dispenser while others patiently wait to fill their glasses with water or people fiddling with tea bags in front of the drink/milk dispenser preventing others from using it . And those who sit in the buffet in their prime seats reading books. There must be other annoyances.

My wife is guilty of stealing food off my plate if its something she was undecided about when choosing !!!!

Good God, I don't have any of these problems at the buffet, either for breakfast or lunch? Mind you we sail on smaller ships like Oriana, Adonia or even Arcadia. I have never had a problem. Breakfast for me is usually muesli with fruit and yoghurt, so not difficult. Might have a piece of toast and marmalade I suppose if we are off on a DIY trip.

Lunch, no problem at all. Join the queue for the salad, my husband usually has hot food. We just don't find it a problem.

There's a lot more to be discussed on the subject. What about those filling up several water bottles from the buffet water dispenser while others patiently wait to fill their glasses with water or people fiddling with tea bags in front of the drink/milk dispenser preventing others from using it . And those who sit in the buffet in their prime seats reading books. There must be other annoyances.

There's a distinct shortage of space for the tea bag ritual actually, wherever you stand you're in front of something.

David.

There's a distinct shortage of space for the tea bag ritual actually, wherever you stand you're in front of something.

David.

Ask a waiter

Or

Take plate

Take 2 cups

Take a spoon

Place cups and spoon on plate

Insert bag into 1 cup

Place milk into remaining cup

Dispense water into cup

Walk away

Simples :D

Exactly what I do, the tea needs time to brew before you add the milk. With regard to the buffet, I wander round to see what takes my fancy and then join the queue for that particular station. Can't see how you can do it any other way. I do try not to get in anyone else's way, although some people do get in mine!!!

Ask a waiter

Or

Take plate

Take 2 cups

Take a spoon

Place cups and spoon on plate

Insert bag into 1 cup

Place milk into remaining cup

Dispense water into cup

Walk away

Simples :D

What, ask a waiter to make your cuppa for you :eek::eek::eek:

Actually all the drinks stations seem ill laid out to me, however everyone would have a different ideal design. :(

Actually all the drinks stations seem ill laid out to me, however everyone would have a different ideal design. :(

Britannia's straight counters are an improvement on the corner units used on Azura/Ventura, there is now room for 2 or 3 people to serve themselves at the same time, rather than one person making tea holding up everyone else.

Agree, people seem to forget that this is a buffet, you serve yourself, and agree as well about the drinks stations, very little thought seems to have gone into them. There should be a logical flow through to avoid what tends to be a bun fight in busy times.

David.

Good God, I don't have any of these problems at the buffet, either for breakfast or lunch? Mind you we sail on smaller ships like Oriana, Adonia or even Arcadia. I have never had a problem. Breakfast for me is usually muesli with fruit and yoghurt, so not difficult. Might have a piece of toast and marmalade I suppose if we are off on a DIY trip.

Lunch, no problem at all. Join the queue for the salad, my husband usually has hot food. We just don't find it a problem.

I could not agree more. Buffet dining on OV ships was never a problem.

Buffet and Beach House dining on Ventura is a must to avoid those noisy canteens that pass for MDRs!!!

Having recently got off Ventura we found the buffet to be a very varied experience - breakfast often had massive queues as they close different sections at certain times to prepare for the next serving of food, no matter how busy the buffet restaurant was at the time. The queues were also incredible when it was Chocoholics afternoon tea...out of the restaurant and into the lobby by the lifts!!! More effective planning and management by P&O could have helped with this. Having also cruised with RCI I found the buffet design on Ventura a lot less effective than on Adventure of the Seas or Indy as the centre buffet areas on Ventura meant there wasn't a clear "route" to take and so to put your meal together you had to go around in circles to make it work - otherwise you ended up just piling loads of food onto your plate and then leaving half of it because you'd spotted "better" food part way around.

The problem with the buffet is that couples cannot eat together. You have to find a seat first and then take it in turns to get food. Otherwise you will end up with food but nowhere to sit. Very unsatisfactory but there is no point getting worked up about it.

We eat our breakfast in buffet every morning but are planning to try main dining room again on our next cruise.

Hubby likes being able to chose how much he has of any item & once the weather picks up we eat outside (we don't have a balcony).

Never had a problem finding a space & leaving our bag & both going to buffet. at the same time

Having sailed on Arcadia,Oceana, Azura and Ventura we have never had a problem using the buffets for breakfast, the buffet on Arcadia was the best laid out for any meal.

The buffets on Azura and Ventura although perhaps not the best laid out are fairly simple the entrance is clearly marked, there is a hand wash station you pick up your cutlery and tray you then proceed to wherever you wish to pick up your choice of food IE: Cereal, cold cuts, hot breakfast.

However we always have those who enter through the exit and then proceed to select their choice of breakfast from each station having no regard for those who have entered the buffet in the proper manner, I normally only have cereal, then I will re-enter using the entrance, bypass those waiting for cereal/ cold cuts and will proceed forward to hot breakfast where without elbowing in will select those items from the hot selection that I wish and thereafter exit via the clearly marked exit where no doubt I will encounter those who enter the buffet via the CLEARLY marked exit to make their breakfast selection, this does ANNOY me as they cannot obviously read/ recognise a no entry indication.

I have no problem with someone entering the buffet via the entrance and having a walk round to see how the buffet is laid out prior to making their meal selection but I do resent those who are too lazy to walk to the clearly marked entrance and just walk into the buffet via the exit to obtain their meal and someone doing so in front of me with be subject to my wrath without being polite.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers