Weight Strictness on Heli-Dog Sledding Excursion?

GreySkies

I am currently signed up for the Princess Helicopter-Dog Sledding excursion in Skagway in one month. My weight is hovering at the 250lb mark. I'll probably be +/- 10lbs of that on the day of the excursion. My questions are:

1. How strict are they about the weight?

2. How much would the surcharge be for someone just over the weight criteria?

Doing my best to lose weight, but it isn't good enough right now. :-/

They're strict. In 2010, I did a helicopter excursion. The dock agent greeted us all at the end of the pier and asked me what I weighed, "and add 10 pounds for clothes". Knowing that I was a little on the heavier side of my usual, and intending to carry two cameras, I semi-jokingly said "249.9". Her eyes got all big and she said that I'd need to hop on the scale at the base and I'd have to pay the surcharge if I was over. I told her I'd be happy to pay it if I was over.

We got to the base, I pulled out my cameras (I made dumb lens choices that probably meant 2 pounds I didn't need to take along), and climbed onto the scale while holding my two cameras (which I fully expected to do). You can imagine the smile on my face when the screen said 249.6. :)

The weight surcharge is typically flat-rate whether you're 0.1 pounds over or a lot over. I remember it being $125 or $150 back then, but haven't shopped for helicopter excursions lately so I haven't checked closely. It obviously hurts the wallet a lot more, relatively speaking, when someone's just 0.1 pounds over, but helicopters are notoriously finicky about weight and balance, so they end up committing 1.5 seats to anyone at or above the 250 pound mark. (I know of a medical helicopter service whose former "spare" helicopter was extremely weight limited: there was an upper limit of 200 pounds patient weight, but they always radioed ahead for a reasonable estimate, and the pilot calculated the fuel to add TO THE POUND because it was that important. I think they'd also ask the staff to weigh themselves whenever the spare aircraft was in service...)

Yes, they are strict. They are likely to weigh you since you are "close". This isn't a guessing game. Weights are extremely important for balance and it needs to be accurate. The weight is also with you fully dressed.

The surcharge is usually 50%. I suggest you purchase it, since, if they deny you the tour, due to a full schedule- you won't be getting any refund.

I also suggest, you book this DIRECT. The vendor is TEMSCO, which can be a cheaper rate, then a cheaper surcharge.

I just spoke with the vendor. The difference between their rate and Princess is as follows:

Vendor: $509 + $100 (weight surcharge) = $609

Princess: $549 + $130 (weight surcharge) = $679

The savings would be $79.

Unfortunately for me, the vendor doesn't have an opening that works with my morning excursion, so I can't take advantage of this. I thought I'd post the information for anyone else that was interested.

I just spoke with the vendor. The difference between their rate and Princess is as follows:

Vendor: $509 + $100 (weight surcharge) = $609

Princess: $549 + $130 (weight surcharge) = $679

The savings would be $79.

Unfortunately for me, the vendor doesn't have an opening that works with my morning excursion, so I can't take advantage of this. I thought I'd post the information for anyone else that was interested.

Why not take advantage of the savings and change your current port itinerary?

We used Coastal Helicopters in Juneau and booked on our own. I gave a weight estimate when we booked and then everyone was weighed when we got to the airport. I believe that if you were over 250 lbs., you paid $150. more. Many flights were booked for that day and I could see that they were very careful in picking/arranging who went on each helicopter. It was a wonderful experience. Enjoy!

Why not take advantage of the savings and change your current port itinerary?

A couple of reasons:

1. The other excursion I'm on (Skagway in Focus Photography Tour) was wait listed for the afternoon.

2. I'm hoping that the weather is better in the afternoon for flying to the glacier. (Yes, I realize it is unpredictable there.)

A couple of reasons:

1. The other excursion I'm on (Skagway in Focus Photography Tour) was wait listed for the afternoon.

2. I'm hoping that the weather is better in the afternoon for flying to the glacier. (Yes, I realize it is unpredictable there.)

FYI, the Skagway In Focus tour is operated by Rainbow Glacier Adventures (http://joeordonez.com/tours/skagway-photo-tour/. Depending on how many in your group are interested in it, you could consider contacting them and booking it as an independent private tour. We contacted them for more specifics, and ended up booking their private tour in Haines (includes ferry transfers from/to Skagway). We'll be doing that on 8/13...counting the days now! From the looks of their team page, they're based in Haines but have soneone based in Skagway for the scheduled tours. I'm sure they could send someone over to Skagway for a private tour if you were willing to book it (assuming they aren't full for the day, etc.).

If weight is so incredibly important to a helicopter, why isn't everyone weighed for distribution purposes?

They ask everyone for their weight. If someone says they're 300, they'll take that. The scale is normally only a proving factor for whether they can justify the weight fee.

If weight is so incredibly important to a helicopter, why isn't everyone weighed for distribution purposes?

I agree. We did an ERA flight through Princess and first they asked us at the pier what our weights were and then they weighed each and every person after we had put on our snow boots and stowed anything we weren't bringing.