Christmas on a Carnival cruise

Two of my children are thrilled about the possibility of taking an eight-day cruise on the Sunshine over Christmas. Our travel is very limited because my oldest can't miss much high school and my husband can't take time off during certain months. Santa is no longer an issue for us, and we can celebrate Christmas on any day.

Unfortunately, my sweet and sensitive middle child is distraught at the idea of not being home for Christmas. She still remembers the Christmas when a storm forced us to stay with relatives.

So, I was wondering if anyone would share their experiences of cruising Carnival on Christmas? Are there any special activities, like caroling? I read something about snow in the atrium? What is Grand Turk like on Christmas Day? I'd love any stories that would show her this could be a magical experience.

On our most recent Christmas cruise, real snow did indeed fall from the top of the atrium as everyone celebrated Christmas eve with caroling. It was on Carnival Magic and was a really magical Christmas. They had a special kids event in the main lounge where all the kids from the clubs were on stage with Santa reading a Christmas story. The kids had rehearsed several Christmas songs and sang them on stage. Again, real snow came down from the top of the lounge during the performance. On embarkation day, we were greeted with complementary champagne. The ship was decorated throughout and Christmas music was always playing in the background if no others were entertaining. Prior to the cruise we had Christmas at home and then we held our own Christmas in the cabin on Christmas day and gave our family members gift cards and cash (an easy carry-on). The kids still talk about this cruise as their favorite.

th_DSC00957.jpg th_DSCN1174.jpg th_DSC00991.jpg th_DSC01016.jpg

Here's hoping you have a great Christmas cruise as well. Bon Voyage!

Edited by forwardcabin

• 1 month later...

We've spent Christmas on a cruise ship the last 4 years, and have one booked for this year as well.

We do not have kids, but from what I've seen they do a lot with the kids. There's always been a Santa walking around and usually a Christmas theme when getting off the ship at each port. The ports are usually all decked out too.

On Christmas they usually do caroling, fake snow, and they've even given all the kids gifts on a few cruises (that may have been RC not Carnival).

They are usually well decorated for Christmas as well.

I can't imagine spending Christmas at home now! lol People even like dressing up for the holiday too!

IMG_6526_zpsc316c235.jpg

IMG_38801024x768_zps81227370.jpg

Cruise%20266SMALL_zpszibnuz09.jpg

Cruise%20104small_zpsnu09mdjj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I too fretted over booking for Christmas, the look on my 16yo face when I told him what I was thinking of doing was the look of pure horror :eek:! After talking to him and showing videos of the cruise and excursions, etc... hes coming around. He is all about traditions so I get it. If you are looking at the Sunshine- the one thing I am concerned is we will be docked in Grand Turk on Christmas morning with the 8:30 am Reef and Rays excursion so we wont be able to have a nice relaxing Christmas morning. I am planning on packing our tiny tree that usually sits in his room for xmas- it is about a foot tall with battery lights. We are driving so I will be able to fit it in with the luggage. I will also pack a stocking and fill with gift cards and small token gifts. We will do Christmas when we get back - with recorded christmas parade playing in the tv in the background so it will have all the elements of "Christmas Morning". Not looking forward to cooking a big breakfast after all the food that we will be eating!

We also tacked on a day at Disney when we get back so this mama can get her disney fix on!

If you do book let me know...I am hoping for other teens for him to be able to hang with.

Hi there,

I too fretted over booking for Christmas, the look on my 16yo face when I told him what I was thinking of doing was the look of pure horror :eek:! After talking to him and showing videos of the cruise and excursions, etc... hes coming around. He is all about traditions so I get it. If you are looking at the Sunshine- the one thing I am concerned is we will be docked in Grand Turk on Christmas morning with the 8:30 am Reef and Rays excursion so we wont be able to have a nice relaxing Christmas morning. I am planning on packing our tiny tree that usually sits in his room for xmas- it is about a foot tall with battery lights. We are driving so I will be able to fit it in with the luggage. I will also pack a stocking and fill with gift cards and small token gifts. We will do Christmas when we get back - with recorded christmas parade playing in the tv in the background so it will have all the elements of "Christmas Morning". Not looking forward to cooking a big breakfast after all the food that we will be eating!

We also tacked on a day at Disney when we get back so this mama can get her disney fix on!

If you do book let me know...I am hoping for other teens for him to be able to hang with.

We still haven't decided. :( The kids have been convinced, but DH is still unsure. I'm dreaming about relaxing on the beach in Grand Turk on Christmas Day, and my 14-year-old has put the cruise on his calendar. :D

But, DH and I have to make sure our extended family is okay with us being gone.

Thanks for the small tree idea. We would also be driving, so we'll be able to pack plenty.

We will do Christmas when we get back - with recorded christmas parade playing in the tv in the background so it will have all the elements of "Christmas Morning". Not looking forward to cooking a big breakfast after all the food that we will be eating!

Don't know if I could do a Christmas on board, but the Disney fix I could DEFINATELY identify with!

My experience with Christmas away from home, is not actually a cruise one. But I can somewhat identify with your kid's concern.

Many many years ago, when I was 18, my parents dragged me, kicking and screaming (well not quite, I was well behaved 18 yr old) down from east coast Canada for Christmas in Barbados. I had never been anywhere south of the great white north up to that point, and had no idea what it would be like.

I went of course. They were not about to leave me home again with my older cousins, especially at Christmas. Santa was not an issue at that time either for me, but having a Christmas tree decorated and gifts wrapped, turkey dinner etc was the norm, and I was not ready for change.

It turned out, that those two weeks, got me hooked on the Caribbean, Barbados to start with. Oh how I love that Caribbean island nation. Later when I worked for an airline, I went there at least once a year. Then branched out to venture to other islands, and my love for the Caribbean grew.

Now I choose to go there on cruises. Cruises are my new addiction:D

Dont know if this helps, but sometimes the young'uns need a pull or tug to venture out of the nest.:) Hope you all have a great time, and of course a very happy and memorable Christmas.

Edited by SMSACE6

Christmas cruising is something we would have never thought of as we live in the same state as both sides of the family. that changed for us as we lost our oldest child to cancer in July of 2010 and the thought of doing Christmas how we had always done it want something we could not stand the thought of.

we did a cruise and it was a great experience we have traveled every Christmas since then . It is our new tradition with our remaining children as it just felt right for us.

the snow, the music and we have had a midnight service with a pastor that was on the ship in the main show area and it was well attended, it is still Christmas but in a way we can handle it.

Think you will love the closeness and change of pace without the craziness of what we think of as Christmas. it is about experiences not gifts and makeing everyone else happy.

We have cruised the last two years for Christmas. Two years ago was our first Christmas cruise and we loved it so much we booked again for the following Christmas. The first Christmas cruise was the first year without both of my in-laws and my husband said he did not want to be home for Christmas. My parents understood. It was myself, DH and DS. We spent Christmas day at the beach both times. It did not feel like Christmas but that was OK we did not have little ones to worry about. I called my parents on Christmas day. We brought a Charlie Brown tree, it even played the song, and we decorated the cabin a little. This year we have decided on a New Years cruise. We loved our Christmas cruises and will probably do one again.:D:D:D

DSCF5998_zpsd42eb7d0.jpg

For our family, Christmas/NY trips usually involve traveling on Christmas Day. The first time we did this our son was 10. He was so excited to be cruising in the winter. As others have said, this is particularly appealing when you are from the Great White North.

There are many things to see and do that are Christmas themed on the ship.

This year we will again be cruising on Dec.26 so traveling on the 25th. We will have our celebration before we leave. BTW our son is now 14 and was the one to suggest a Christmas trip! Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by pooksma