what determines if there is a port departure "party"?

edwardh1

Only been on two cruises, QV Caribbean- Miami Pananma and QV Rome to Barcelona corsica Rome etc .

The Caribbean port departures seemed many and festive, seemed to me every time we left a port they had a 2 or 3 piece "band" or DJ, a bar set up and a festive party on the stern deck.

On the Rome to Rome much less so.

Different locations? Different clientele? mostly Brits in Rome. Americans in the Caribbean? or maybe the weather? Hotter in Rome area?

Any ideas?

incorrect impression on my part?

Edited by edwardh1

I take it you mean the Sailaway Party.

As far as I can work out, it depends mostly on the weather, then maybe the time of departure.

Obviously some ports and locations lend themselves open to parties more than others. Some are traditional and some just fun.

For example, QM2 always has a huge Sailaway Party when leaving Hamburg. You really have to experience it, be it early or late evening, depending on the tides.

Whilst leaving Venice involves Italian food and Pavarotti.

Quite often the parties are moved to the Winter Garden.

The "party" really is the responsibility of those sailing away. The ship provides a bar (and sometimes music - which is not essential for a group of people to feel they are having a party). The people get together - have drinks and interact (or not). A group of people interacting at an event like a sailaway IS a party.

We had a great sail away party from Corfu last year. We were docked beside a P and O ship so the CD really went to town. There was lots of banter over the two ship's sound systems, offering those on the other ship to 'jump ship'. There was lots of music, dancing and some great rousing British songs like 'Land of Hope and Glory' which was most unexpected and great fun.

We really didn't know Cunard had it in them!