Skagway to Carcross -- Driving Time

Geldhart

We are planning on driving from Skagway, AK to Carcross, YK in a little over a month -- the car is already booked.

Our ship arrives at 0700 and leaves at 1700. I know Avis opens at 0800.

Google Maps says the distance is 104 km and takes 2h 7m which seems rather slow to me (about 50 km/h). At 100 km/h that should be just over an hour and 90 km/h would make it about 70 minutes.

How long does it actually take for the drive itself -- assuming no scenic stops?

Once I know the minimum driving time at the posted speed limits, we can plan how long we can afford for the scenic stops -- or if I should just drop the car now, but once I step in the Yukon, Nunavut will be the only place in Canada I haven't been to yet.

Thanks.

Keep in mind, the Klondike highway is not a multilane super highway. Filled with twisting turns and congestion.... you'll understand why those average speeds are lower. BTW.... expect congestion at the border crossing.

I'd say about 1 1/2-2 hours is about right. I usually take about 5+ hours for the complete trip up to Emerald Lake and back. Remember it is a one lane road each way and the speed limit isn't that high. Portions may be under construction and gravel only with lower speeds. You may be behind a tour bus or RV and not be able to pass for a while.

It's not a race and most of the time you will probably be doing 45-50 mph. Stop when you see something interesting, the view/weather may be different on the way back. You'll probably only spend 15 minutes tops at Emerald Lake (unless you do a hike) Carcross has some new little stores and Cafes but even with a lunch stop you won't be there much more than 1 hour. Maybe a bit more if you stop at Caribou Crossing and do some of their stuff.

Remember to allow some time for the border crossing heading back into Skagway and for refilling the gas tank. Enjoy the trip.

Google's travel time estimates are based on the speed limits for the roads traveled, so usually pretty accurate unless you go significantly faster/slower. I did a search and found the following on murpheysguide.com:

May 5, 2015 - the speed limits on the highway are 40mph in Alaska (outside Skagway), and 90 kmh (55mph) in British Columbia and the Yukon.

The speed limit inside Skagway is 25 MPH, so it's going to take you 10-15 minutes just to get out of town onto the highway.

Google may also factor in an average border wait time. I'd allow at least 15 minutes for this.

1.5 - 2 hours seems like a reasonable estimate, and it could be longer if you get stuck behind tour buses or have a long border wait.

We are planning on driving from Skagway, AK to Carcross, YK in a little over a month -- the car is already booked.

Our ship arrives at 0700 and leaves at 1700. I know Avis opens at 0800.

Google Maps says the distance is 104 km and takes 2h 7m which seems rather slow to me (about 50 km/h). At 100 km/h that should be just over an hour and 90 km/h would make it about 70 minutes.

How long does it actually take for the drive itself -- assuming no scenic stops?

Once I know the minimum driving time at the posted speed limits, we can plan how long we can afford for the scenic stops -- or if I should just drop the car now, but once I step in the Yukon, Nunavut will be the only place in Canada I haven't been to yet.

Thanks.

Your only priority for this trip is to say you've been in the Yukon? You can just turn back at the entry and sign, in about an hour+,one way. Skagway to Carcross area is about 75 miles.

Otherwise for people who who are going for a scenic trip, with stops, I always recommend allowing 5 hours for the drive, and if you have to be on a marathon road trip due to other commitments- it may not be as enjoyable.

You do have to allow extra time for the borders, slower moving vehicles and construction.

The scenery is ever changing with big ranges, so interesting. :)

Thanks everyone. We are still planning on doing the trip, we just needed a sense of how much the "bare bones" driving time is. Now that we know that, we can budget our time for the actual stuff we are going to do.

I also checked the excursions and there is a bus going all the way to the Carcross Trading Post. As long as we beat that bus we are good. :D

Thanks everyone. We are still planning on doing the trip, we just needed a sense of how much the "bare bones" driving time is. Now that we know that, we can budget our time for the actual stuff we are going to do.

I also checked the excursions and there is a bus going all the way to the Carcross Trading Post. As long as we beat that bus we are good. :D

You are way too concerned about a bus. :) And actually there will be many on the Klondike Highway. A LOT of people travel it. But it is 75 miles, a big area to spread out.