CruiseCritic has adware

steve20832

I got the Adware warning this afternoon when I first logged onto my laptop, I can't remember but it might even have been before I opened up IE (I was logged in under a WIFI system). I had a PUP warning pop up from McAfee. I had not been on Cruisecritic with my laptop in several days so it is unlikely that the adware came from cruisecritic.

I also have McAfee at home which constantly updates and I haven't had an adware warning pop up on my home PC so I don't think it is cruisecritic especially since I am a CruiseCriticAholic and on these boards constantly.

Those of you trying to detect and/or remove Chitika with Antivirus or Spyware removers -

1 - Chitika is new, may take time before programs recognize it

2 - YOu must have an update of antivirus that is very new, like since spring of this year for mcAfee and Norton

3 - Chitika is technically Adware, not spyware, which makes it a little slower to be recognized as unwanted

If you want to research it put "Chitika adware" into Google

Same here. Had no problems until tonight and every other website is fine. Go to CC and I get the PUP warning from McAfee. Try to remove it and it's unremovable. After doing mucho research and finding nothing re: this particular file, I clicked "trust this program" and so far, no more problems. Of course, I've scanned the entire system and nothing shows up.

Don't know what else to do. Strange that it only happened to all of us today and yet, there's nothing on CC to cause this??? Hopefully, whatever it is, is harmless and we're all fine.

My experience is EXACTLY the same as CarolinaInMyMind's - very annoying - and it only happens when I connect to cruise critic, not other website.

I strongly recommend you untrust the program if you did and seek a way to get it removed. It is showing up on all the major antivirus sites now as an unwanted adware program and is definitly an infection on your PCs.

Which major sites are you referring to? I went to both Norton and McAfee and neither had any mention on their sites. Nor did running a search on those sites bring up anything.

I've googled Chitika several times since yesterday and all info points to the fact that this is a firm that's developed new adware for blogs and other internet sites and it was just recently launched.......which could explain why it happened to so many of us all at once.

If you have more information, please share. I know none of us want an infected system but no one seems to have any answers as to what it actually is and what horrible, awful thing does it do to our systems??

I also got Chitika PUP on my system yesterday. Even though I update McAfee DAILY (!!!), it is not yet recognized, and can not be cleansed yet. I'll wait a few more days.

But, under no circumstances, should you ever TRUST any program you are not aware of!

Just for curiosity and to try to figure out where this is coming from. Does anyone else who is getting the message also have Smiley Central?

My wife and I have it on both of our computers at home and we both get the message. It isn't on either computer at work and we don't have the problem.

Just wondering where it comes from?

Just for curiosity and to try to figure out where this is coming from. Does anyone else who is getting the message also have Smiley Central?

My wife and I have it on both of our computers at home and we both get the message. It isn't on either computer at work and we don't have the problem.

Just wondering where it comes from?

I don't have Smiley Central on any of our computers. DH has a laptop and I work off of my laptop and also a desktop. Only my laptop seems to have a problem and it's only on the CC site. I did reblock the program on McAfee as others had suggested and I continue to get the warning popups regarding it. If I switch sites, the warning popup goes away.

Is anyone getting this PUP warning on a site other than CC?

So far, still nothing coming through on my pooter, I use just AVG anti-virus and Zone Alarm firewall. No antispy/antiadware software installed apart from the popup blocker in Firefox. Not even had warnings of unwanted ads etc....touch wood that I haven't tempted fate now.

I ran into this same problem today. It appeared after I went to the Roll Call board. I think that one of the ads on that board is sending the adware.:mad: I didn't have a problem on the Carnival or Princess boards - only the Roll Call board.

Those of you who are pc savvy, go to your add/remove programs and see if there is any search toolbar that looks kinda weird. If so, remove it and see what happens.

Also, go to your msconfig startup and see if there is anything relating to a search / adware app. If there is one in question, go to http://www.spywareguide.com and do a search. They also have an online search called Xblocker that I have used and it catches a lot of the common ones. Since this is a new malware, it may take a little while to catch it.

I will keep doing research and checking back. I like to keep up on the malwares since I may come in contact with them at work and have to get rid of them.

Good hunting.

Also try the website http://www.pchell.com for other malware info.

I saw nothing unusual in add/remove programs. McAfee detects the adware as MM(1).js and MM(2).js in internet temp folder but if you delete and come back to CC boards, it comes right back. Nothing happens at the CC home page but as soon as you enter the boards, you get the warning.

The only JS I see in the HTML is clientscript/vbulletin_global.js and clientscript/vbulletin_menu.js

Any programmers out there know if this is causing it?

Archived