New Years Cruise - Carnival Dream

Angel Dust

My husband and I are thinking about a New Years Cruise aboard the Carnival Dream, but have never cruised in the winter months or during the holidays. Has anyone out there ever been on a NYE cruise? Does Carnival do anything special for the holiday and how is the weather on the islands? I am reading that once we made it through the cold dreary NOLA sail away weather that the islands would be nice and warm.

Any information regarding holiday cruises or Carnival, cruising in the winter, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

We did a NYE cruise on the liberty a few years ago. It was great! We're from Miami so the water was cold for us in January but that's because if the water isn't 80+ degrees I'm freezing lol. Carnival had a major party on the lido deck for NYE with a DJ, streamer cannons and a countdown. They handed out free glasses of champagne from the moment we boarded the ship until the countdown (NYE was embarkation day).

Edited by girli565

NYE cruises are lots of fun. That evening there should be complementary champagne, hats and noise makers, and all the venues should have some sort of NYE celebration. On Lido, it will be a really big party. No fireworks but, at midnight they will sound this ship's horn--a lot! The ship will still be decorated for the holidays and you should expect a festive atmosphere throughout.

Our NYE cruises were out of Galveston. Weather leaving Galveston for us that day was dreary and cold. But the next day out in the Gulf it was warm and sunny--definitely t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops required until we returned to Galveston. NOLA might be cold until you get out of the Mississippi and into the Gulf. Your island stops should be warm and sunny--temps around 85-90.

Here's hoping you have a great NYE and a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

We sailed out of Miami to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We were in Cozumel until 9:00 for NYE and then there was a fun deck party as we set sail again. Free Champagne, dancing...great time. The weather was amazing throughout the entire trip until we returned to Miami. I'd love to go on a Holiday cruise again!

We spent the last 4 New Year's at sea! Such an incredible time. The NYE party was great, they give out champagne to everyone & noisemakers & hats. I believe everyone has to try it once! This past year the weather was incredible! The year before that we had 2 cloudy cooler days.

Sending a huge THANK YOU to everyone that replied! It is much appreciated. I still haven't given my hubby the GO AHEAD, still trying to decide. We have a 7 year old who just made his first cruise July 5th and loved it. A little worried about his leaving his "stuff" Santa leaves but I'm sure if we said CRUISE he wouldn't care. Also, hating to leave my parents during the holidays, but telling myself we will have the entire week before which is actually Christmas. Guess it's just something new so I'm apprehensive. All of your posts helped tremendously though! It does sound like tons of fun!

Sending a huge THANK YOU to everyone that replied! It is much appreciated. I still haven't given my hubby the GO AHEAD, still trying to decide. We have a 7 year old who just made his first cruise July 5th and loved it. A little worried about his leaving his "stuff" Santa leaves but I'm sure if we said CRUISE he wouldn't care. Also, hating to leave my parents during the holidays, but telling myself we will have the entire week before which is actually Christmas. Guess it's just something new so I'm apprehensive. All of your posts helped tremendously though! It does sound like tons of fun!

I am sure whatever you decide will work outs just fine. We brought our five kids and their families and my brother brought his two kids and their families. It was 35 of us in total. It was a very special cruise all by itself, and a def highlight was celebrating NYE on the Breeze. Let us know when you make the final decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time on NYE the Festivale in 1987/88. Had a great time on the Liberty two years ago (although we had a couple of cooler days). Headed out again this NYE. The ship is decorated for the holidays, the champagne flows on NYE, the party atmosphere is electric, and college football is on the big screen. It's wonderful. You'll love it.

Well guys and gails I have over thought this and have heard from so many that the Dreams is much better for a first time Cruise than the Elation. Angel sorry to hack your post...I am trying to get in contact with the TA now to get this thing scheduled...Thanks for all your help!

Be sure to join the roll call for this cruise. This will be our 3rd NYE cruise. They are so much fun! The ship will still be decorated for Christmas (they usually take down during a port day just before NYE), champagne will be flowing when you board and on NYE and then there's the big party.

It is a little hectic with being so soon after Christmas but definitely worth it!