Dinners at Camp Carnival

sararebekahquinn

You might want to ask on the Carnival board.

Our last Carnival cruise was in 2002 (when our girl was four) and how it worked back then: there were one or two kids' dinners and you drop off your kid at the lido buffet. There was usually an area set aside for the kids to eat. Then afterwards, the kids are taken to the Camp Carnival area for the evening activities.

On the rest of the nights, the Camp rooms are closed at dinner time (so staff can eat) and parents are expected to take their kids with them to dinner.

When you drop off the little ones at camp, they'll ask if you are going to pick up for dinner, or if they will be eating with camp. You'll have the menu in advance, as well as be able to notify about allergies.

They march (it's super cute btw, we watched our 3 year old from the window of the steakhouse ) from camp to a blocked off area on lido or on some ships at Fish and Chips, where they have dinner. On some ships I've been on, you drop them off at lido - I think it depends on the ship. Then they'll March back to camp.

They have camp dinner on both sea and port days (maybe the shorter cruises are different.. But on the 7 and 8 days we've been on, it's been each night with the exception of embarkation night). I've found camp to be easier going on the longer cruises, and much more stuffy in the shorter ones.

I give our lo the option on if he wants to eat with camp or us.. but he eats with us in the mdr several times throughout the cruise, they have an awesome kids menu. (On a side note.. If he does eat in the mdr (and he's only 4.. With more energy than 5 espressos) they bring the kids main courses with the adult appetizers. By the time he is finished, he's bored and itching to get to camp.. So usually I run him up there while the waiters are clearing plates. Dh stays at the mdr and lets the waitstaff know not to hold dinner for me and I'll be right back - and I'm typically back from dropping him off minutes after the main course arrives. (We ask to be seated at a table with other families.. And I've noticed the dads stay behind and we started all heading up in a group lol).

Also, on the Liberty last year we thought it would be a good idea to do lo's dinner at Lido buffet one night because we had late reservations at the steakhouse.. They totally didn't have any kid friendly foods (no nuggets, spaghetti, fish sticks, fries, pbj.. Like nada..). The matire d was AWESOME and went and spoke to the chef, who used the batter from the Fish and Chips resturant and made him chicken nuggets and French fries off menu... I mean how nice, sweet and child friendly is that!!

Edited by Angela61280

Depending on the day the camp may be closed before dinner. On our past two cruises when the kids wanted to eat with camp we have taken them to the Lido deck buffet at 6:00 where they have a section blocked off and have their own selections available. They post the menu in the camp schedule. They feed the kids and then take them back to Camp area.

:)

Depending on the day the camp may be closed before dinner. On our past two cruises when the kids wanted to eat with camp we have taken them to the Lido deck buffet at 6:00 where they have a section blocked off and have their own selections available. They post the menu in the camp schedule. They feed the kids and then take them back to Camp area.

:)

This was our experience in November on the Freedom. Our niece loves to eat "at camp with the kids".

I have had similar experiences with dropping my child off directly in the Lido buffet and the counselors will take the kids back to camp. I think there is a 15 or 20 min window you can drop the kids off for dinner. FYI, you can get grilled cheese and hot dogs at the deli on Carnival ships. You can also order free room service and they have PB&J that is very good! We have stayed in and ordered room service at least once on every cruise-grilled cheese, PB&J, fruit and veggie platters, and the chocolate cake and cheesecake from room service are to die for!

Drop them off at 6pm to the Camp Carnival people, normally upstairs in a hidden section of the Lido Deck. Just don't bring special drinks for them unless medically necessary. We tried once to let kids take a pop to drink and the workers wouldn't allow it. They don't want all the other kids begging for it. The workers are very organized to serve dinner, even by having the paper off the straws ready for the drinks

warning though, most of the options on the camp carnival kid's menu are not foods I want my dd, 3, eating every night. But she eats real food, not nuggets and fries.

Course some nights, a pb&j is perfect! I remember ordering one my last night on one cruise, kid's fruit platter, and pb&j. I was sick of 'adult' food all week. lol.

Does anyone know if your child can have whatever is available at the buffet if they have dinner with camp carnival? Im hoping my kids can at least at a side of veggies.

It's all about crowd control. They have a separate buffet line for the kids. I've seen it two ways--- either the kids get it themselves with supervision or the counsellors make platters and serve the kids family style. The only vegetables we've seen has been peas and carrots, usually untouched.

If you want your kids to eat elsewhere, then it's up to you.

It's all about crowd control. They have a separate buffet line for the kids. I've seen it two ways--- either the kids get it themselves with supervision or the counsellors make platters and serve the kids family style. The only vegetables we've seen has been peas and carrots, usually untouched.

If you want your kids to eat elsewhere, then it's up to you.

This has more-or-less also been our experience. Since the kids are secluded from adult cruisers (usually in Fish n' Chips or a partitioned area of the Lido buffet), I doubt they'd be able to leave to go get food from the rest of the buffet. The kids seem to have a set menu and the food is brought out to them.

Does anyone know if your child can have whatever is available at the buffet if they have dinner with camp carnival? Im hoping my kids can at least at a side of veggies.

I was able to find:

KIDS' MEALS FOR CAMPERS

With so many fun things to do aboard, your kid will surely work up an appetite. Our meals keep your kids fueled up and happy with yummy options for them to enjoy as they chow down with a supervised group of their new friends. They’ll enjoy pizza, cheese quesadillas, grilled cheese sandwiches, fruit, french fries, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, mac-n-cheese and more! They should save room for dessert, because with banana splits and chocolate brownies, your young ones are going to be pretty excited.

and

KIDS' MENUS

Our kids’ menus, available at most onboard dining venues, feature foods that are delicious enough — and fun enough — to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. We’ve got all the familiar options they love from home, like spaghetti and meatballs, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, mac-n-cheese, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and — yes mom — fresh fruit and veggies. They should save room for dessert, though, because with sweet stuff like banana splits and chocolate brownies, your young’uns are going to be pretty excited. There’s even 24-hour pizza and ice cream… but these are subject to bed-time, of course.

I look at dd's week over all. and since she normally eats well, I'm ok with missing some for other treats during vacation, BUT I do avoid/limit some stuff, mainly cause she'll fell like crap and act crazy if I just let her junk.

Oddly, she ate veggies from the salad bar during lunch or as a later snack more than she does at home. But the fruit...the fruit is just too much temptation. (and we're meanies, we have to limit the amount of sugar... we've learned.)

Thank you for all of your answers. We just got back from our 5 day cruise. The boys ate with Camp Carnival 2 nights. They gave us menus and the Los did not like the food for the other 3 nights. We did drop them off at the Lido. There was a section of the tables partitioned off and the Camp Staff got plates for the children with all of the food choices from that day's menu. They loved eating with Camp.