VAT Tax and Epic 2015??

michelle028

Hi everyone,

I tried searching through these boards but I can't find any recent info on the VAT Tax for this year on Epic.

So from what I have read so far any cruise leaving and coming back to Spain without stopping in a NON-EU port, if you buy anything onboard the ship its subject to a VAT tax?

Is that right? How much is it? Does it depend on what you are buying?

Is this VAT tax charged on the daily charged gratuities as well?

Any recent Epic cruisers or others out there who could help me out?

Edited by michelle028
one more q

Hi everyone,

I tried searching through these boards but I can't find any recent info on the VAT Tax for this year on Epic.

So from what I have read so far any cruise leaving and coming back to Spain without stopping in a NON-EU port, if you buy anything onboard the ship its subject to a VAT tax?

Is that right? How much is it? Does it depend on what you are buying?

Is this VAT tax charged on the daily charged gratuities as well?

Any recent Epic cruisers or others out there who could help me out?

Spanish VAT (IVA) varies depending on what you purchase onboard. But in general it's 21%

Here's a link to IVA and what it applies to http://www.tumbit.com/how-to-guides/articles/93-spanish-iva-explained.html

IVA is not charged on gratuities

Spanish IVA should not be charged on any pre purchased items

Spanish VAT (IVA) varies depending on what you purchase onboard. But in general it's 21%

Here's a link to IVA and what it applies to http://www.tumbit.com/how-to-guides/articles/93-spanish-iva-explained.html

IVA is not charged on gratuities

Spanish IVA should not be charged on any pre purchased items

Thx so much for your info and for posting that helpful website!

This may sound silly but onboard NCL epic there are duty free shops right? Does that mean I still have to pay Spanish tax on liquor from the shops? Or is it only for drink that I purchase from the bar?

Thx so much for your info and for posting that helpful website!

This may sound silly but onboard NCL epic there are duty free shops right? Does that mean I still have to pay Spanish tax on liquor from the shops? Or is it only for drink that I purchase from the bar?

Unfortunately "Duty" is a different tax to "VAT"

"VAT" is liable on all alcohol purchases made on board :(

Unfortunately "Duty" is a different tax to "VAT"

"VAT" is liable on all alcohol purchases made on board :(

Hi Nomad098, my Epic cruise sails out of Barcelona and ends in Southampton, would they charge the VAT in this case?

Edited by hbe

Hi Nomad098, my Epic cruise sails out of Barcelona and ends in Southampton, would they charge the VAT in this case?

It depends on the itinerary - if you visit Gibraltar or the Channel Islands then there should not be VAT charged (except in Spanish territorial waters), otherwise there will be VAT charged throughout.

If your sailing on the 13th or 20th Sep 2015 Epic cruise Spanish VAT will be liable :(

I thought 10% was charged on board.

Spanish VAT (IVA) on alcohol is 21%

I am not sure but I think the rate was 10% in 2012 it went up to 18% then a further rise to 21%

It's possible that some cruise lines off set the rate in the past but not anymore

Are you sure?

Spanish 10% IVA tax is applicable to all bar purchases, select dining cover charges and room service charges when in Spanish waters only.

Spanish 21% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from a Spanish port.

Are you sure?

Spanish 10% IVA tax is applicable to all bar purchases, select dining cover charges and room service charges when in Spanish waters only.

Spanish 21% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from a Spanish port.

I'm hoping that Froggitt is correct with the above quote, and from our experience last time on the Epic, it would appear to be.

We sailed in 2012, so percentages HAVE gone up, but when I checked some old receipts, there was 8% added to bar purchases and 18% added to our bill for photos and some gifts.

I'll let you know in 12 days time!!! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbe View Post

If your sailing on the 13th or 20th Sep 2015 Epic cruise Spanish VAT will be liable

We are on the Epic sailing Sept. 13 ending Sept. 26 in Southampton. We are sailing to Italy, Spain, France, Portugal and England.

Edited by hbe

Just to confirm - when purchasing drinks at the bar on the Epic, do they charge 18% gratuity AND 21% VAT?

We have the unlimited beverage package - do we still pay these charges for each drink ordered (even if the drink is "free" with the package)?

Just to confirm - when purchasing drinks at the bar on the Epic, do they charge 18% gratuity AND 21% VAT?

We have the unlimited beverage package - do we still pay these charges for each drink ordered (even if the drink is "free" with the package)?

No. You paid (or with uk ubp ncl paid )the ubp grats when you booked. and no vat on no charge.

People on cruisecritic are reporting that the Spanish VAT(IVA) for drinks paid for on the ship (not pre purchased) is 10%

According to everything I have read outside of cruisecritic states that the IVA on alcohol is 21%

So I guess either there is a bit of Spanish tax legislation not made easily available that differentiates between drinks served in a bar and bottles bought in a shop or the cruise lines are making up the 11% difference :eek:. Would love to know which it is

People on cruisecritic are reporting that the Spanish VAT(IVA) for drinks paid for on the ship (not pre purchased) is 10%

According to everything I have read outside of cruisecritic states that the IVA on alcohol is 21%

So I guess either there is a bit of Spanish tax legislation not made easily available that differentiates between drinks served in a bar and bottles bought in a shop or the cruise lines are making up the 11% difference :eek:. Would love to know which it is

Found it http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/rates/vat_rates_en.pdf page 17 alcohol in bars IVA rate is 10%

Now I'm debating whether to buy my liquor from the ship to take home or just wait til I get to the duty free shop at the airport on departure from Barcelona to see if its cheaper if I have to pay the VAT tax onboard. Thoughts?