Do Any Other Glaciers Compare To Glacier Bay?

jormot

I know this is a cruise forum but many are very familiar with the interior of Alaska too. So my question is we would prefer a land tour over a cruise. Are there any glaciers available by land that would be as spectacular as Glacier Bay? We've never been but hear it's amazing. Hoping to find an alternative by land.

I know this is a cruise forum but many are very familiar with the interior of Alaska too. So my question is we would prefer a land tour over a cruise. Are there any glaciers available by land that would be as spectacular as Glacier Bay? We've never been but hear it's amazing. Hoping to find an alternative by land.

Every natural site is a bit different.. experience glacier ice by land on is neat, by ocean also neat and different. Spectacular they both are, different as well. One is no replacement for the other, both worth experiencing!

The vast majority of glaciers in Alaska are found in the coastal areas of southcentral and southeastern Alaska. The most spectacular ones are the so-called "tidewater" glaciers which are found along regions near the Pacific Ocean like Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, Disenchantment Bay (Hubbard Glacier), Prince William Sound, and Kenai Fjords. Many are accessible only by boat/ship or flightseeing.

There are a few drive-up glaciers like Mendenhall, Portage Valley, Exit Glacier near Seward, the Matanuska Glacier near Palmer, and the Worthington Glacier near Valdez but the largest are the tidewaters.

To see Alaska's largest glaciers, take a flight over the Malaspina or Bering Glacier between Anchorage and SE Alaska or Seward.

OP, The thing that is so spectacular about Glacier Bay is the fact that there are numerous tidewater glaciers (I think we saw 5) and it is a National Park for a reason.

I suppose it would be possible to drive to 4 of the 5 glaciers that Chenega lists, but it is a vast distance between each of them and would require an extensive land stay in Alaska. And Mendenhall from Juneau would be a problem as you can't drive to Juneau (flight or boat is required).

Google a good map of Alaska to see the actual distance between each. I don't think any of the glaciers you would see on a land trip would be as spectacular as Glacier Bay. JMHO, others like being able to walk on the glacier, which I have no interest in doing (I'm not the adventurous type).

Only you know what works for you.

Every glacier viewing is vastly different from the others, and in a constant state of change. My travel style is to always include, in my touring, to see them- every trip, multiple glaciers. I do have a scenery priority (you don't go to Alaska, as a visitor unless you do :) )

Glacier Bay- offers sightings of, usually 4 glaciers. It is a very worthwhile sailing day.

However, do realize, from the entry- where a LOT of people are out, expecting to see glaciers- you have about a 3 hour wait. :) All the first views and commentary are on the port side, with usually, no stopping until the 3rd at Margerie Glacier. This is about an hour stop, most people miss, that the Grand Pacific is right to the right of it. :)