NCL Breakaway vs RC Freedom of the Seas

SailingPers

Can anyone compare the two for me? We have sailed on the Majesty (years ago) and more recently on the Freedom. We just considered the Freedom okay and I was really wondering what to expect on the Breakaway.

We love the Freedom, and we loved the Breakaway.

The main difference we found was that the Freedom had the Flowrider, and the Breakaway has the Ropes Course. Not a surfer, so the flowerier didn't do much for me, although it was fun to watch. The ropes course didn't turn me on as I did all that during basic training 50+ years ago. Again it was fun to watch.

We are Diamond on RCL, and Platinum on NCL.

We live in Florida. Depending on the time of the year, we will not fly to New York to board a cruise ship that spends a day or more in cold weather to come south for a few days only to lose a cruise day to cool or cold weather to return home.

The Breakaway has a sister ship, the Getaway, based in Miami. Warm weather all the way through the week.

The Freedom is based in Port Canaveral. Again, warm weather throughout the week.

We have been on the Breakaway, the Getaway, and the Freedom. We are booked on the Freedom and the Getaway. Will book both of them again.

Hope this helps.

Both ships are amazing and offer plenty of activities to do. It depends on the cruise atmosphere you are looking for.

Freedom - more traditional atmosphere and traditional dining. They do offer anytime dining, but they REALLY don't have the hang of it yet and I found it inconsistent as far as service goes. Very limited dining options after dinner. Room service convenience charge for late night room service. Less paying for additional items and more included with the cruise fare.

Breakaway (Getaway) - LOVE Freestyle dining and have been enjoying it since 2000 when I first experienced it on the NCL Majesty. Very quick in and out, while still enjoying the MDR. Many more "additional cost" restaurants. Much better late night dining options (Blue Lagoon, O'Sheehans). New Room Service charge for everything except continental breakfast. Great entertainment, but some of them carry a cover charge. Recently cut the time in ports on MANY itineraries.

These are just a few of the differences that stand out in my mind. I enjoy both cruise lines and would sail either ship. but as others have said I wouldn't fly north to sail south on the Breakaway, but would rather go with the Getaway.

How would you say the crowds compare, or really the feel of the crowds?

In general, I never felt crowded on either ship. There are obviously lines for such things as the flowrider, rock wall, etc on RCCL and the ropes course on the Breakaway. Some of the shows require you to arrive early if you want a seat, but that is on both lines. For the most part, didn't feel any more or less crowded than any other ship I've been on.

The only time the crowds on Freedom really bothered me were at the elevators and trying to find a table at the buffet. Other than that I thought it was managed really well. I have read posts that say the Breakaway feels crowded. I wasn't sure what they were comparing to though.

I've never been on a ship class that felt more crowded than the Freedom class, especially one in poorer weather on the Independence. I love the layout of the ships and the features are amazing but everything seems to happen one thing at a time - something which they addressed with Oasis and Quantum.

The BA has lots of nice features and a good layout - I love the outdoor eating options, really helps you connect to the sea. The cabins and interior design are much more modern than Freedom vessels and the water park is something quite amazing at sea.

Service, drinks and food quality are very comparable in main and buffet areas - maybe RCI sneak ahead with steakhouse quality - but 100% agree that 24hr dining is far superior on NCL.

We love the Freedom, and we loved the Breakaway.

The main difference we found was that the Freedom had the Flowrider, and the Breakaway has the Ropes Course. Not a surfer, so the flowerier didn't do much for me, although it was fun to watch. The ropes course didn't turn me on as I did all that during basic training 50+ years ago. Again it was fun to watch.

We are Diamond on RCL, and Platinum on NCL.

We live in Florida. Depending on the time of the year, we will not fly to New York to board a cruise ship that spends a day or more in cold weather to come south for a few days only to lose a cruise day to cool or cold weather to return home.

The Breakaway has a sister ship, the Getaway, based in Miami. Warm weather all the way through the week.

The Freedom is based in Port Canaveral. Again, warm weather throughout the week.

We have been on the Breakaway, the Getaway, and the Freedom. We are booked on the Freedom and the Getaway. Will book both of them again.

Hope this helps.

I loved the way you summed that up. It was very good information.

Have been on both. Both were "new" to me - first time sailing on each line, so had a really unbiased view of both ships. We had a Grand Suite on Freedom, so had some nice perks. Had large balcony cabin on Breakaway, so that was nice! Truthfully, both had good entertainment, but slight edge to Breakaway with comedy clubs, howl at the moon, rock of ages, etc. Found the food on FOS sub-par in dining rooms. Never ate in dr on BA - did the free-style dining plan and loved it! (especially O'Sheehans - free) Didn't use flow-rider or rock-wall on FOS, but had a blast on the water slides and ropes course on BA. Neither ship felt overly crowded. Truthfully, I give the edge to BA. We are going on sister ship Getaway NYE, and can't wait.