Questions about booking your own excursions

MaiseyM

I still have time to think about this, but I have been looking at the excursions offered by RCCL and I haven't found anything that jumps out at me as something that I really want to do. Some of them are longer than I would like (i.e. 7 hours) and some don't accommodate children. I am wondering how people find their own tours and if there are things I should be aware of if I do go off course and find my own. I found some companies with a google search or with Trip Advisor and they received good reviews. Beyond that though, I don't know how what I need to know in the event I do decide to book on my own. I am specifically looking for ideas in Cozumel and Falmouth in March. TIA.

There are several all inclusive day resorts in Cozumel that are a short taxi ride away.

In Jamaica we used Courtney Taylor Tours. He is able to put together a tour of things that you want to see.

A lot of good info in the ports of call section on CC.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The best thing to do is to pick up a Caribbean guide book covering your ports. Once you read up on those locations and determine if there are any specific excursions you'd like to book, you can then look on Tripadvisor and see if there is anything that matches your interests.

You should also join the roll call for your cruise and see what other people have planned for those ports. Often times other passengers book private tours and are looking to share the excursion to defray the costs.

Jonathan

I suggest browsing the Caribbean Ports of Call boards here, there are specific ones for each port you mentioned:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

That's how I found all of our private tour guides so far, with 100% success. I always count on the experiences and recommendations shared by my fellow CCers. I use TripAdvisor as a back-up resource to also check reviews/ratings/photos. Private tours are most often what we prefer. That said, we have taken a few ship excursions too, some were very good. I opt for a ships excursion when it is the only way to do a particular activity, or when the destination is a considerable distance away (for example, Mayan ruins sites). Ship excursions are usually more expensive, more crowded and there's a lot of time wasted (ie: waiting on everyone to return to the bus, etc).

A couple things to be aware of going out on your own... Most important, in my opinion, is to be mindful on how far away from the ship you'll be and plan accordingly. Vehicle break-downs and other such situations are rare, but do occur. Those on a ship sponsored excursion have more security, the ship will wait for them if they're delayed. Passengers who explore on their own and return late will be left behind. So of course, the next suggestion is to keep a close eye on the time (I set my watch to ships time as soon and we board and adjust as needed). I like to be back to the port no less than an hour before the ship is set to depart (all-aboard time is usually 30 mins prior to departure, it'll be noted in the Compass). If you decide to be spontaneous and grab a taxi at the port in lieu of making set plans, be sure to ask your questions and agree on a price before you get in.

There's always more to consider, but the port-specific boards will help you to figure it all out. It can be intimidating at first, but you'll get [read] some good advice... and you will quickly become aware of certain locations which may be more risky. I know very little about Falmouth, never been there. But that's a location where I would definitely use caution and would *probably* not explore on my own -- admittedly, due to preconceived ideas and zero research on my part. Once you look into it, you may discover some great ways to spend you day.

Thank you!! Very helpful. I will read that forum; I was looking for it earlier but couldn't find it so I thought maybe there wasn't such a thing. I agree, I don't want to be unsafe (Jamaica) or do anything that causes me to be in some crazy broken car with a sketchy driver, wondering if we will fall off the mountain or something. Btdt, not interested in doing explorations like that. And yes to the timing; I will be paranoid about getting back on time, so I can't even see myself being comfortable with an hour before:roll eyes:. Thank you for the tips and sharing!

You can also join the Roll Call for your cruise and see if anyone there has ideas. Sometime you can join others on a private excursion, but for sure you can get some good ideas about what is available. I would not recommend just grabbing a cab from the dock unless you are very familiar with the area. Most independent tour operators are very reliable in getting you back to the ship on time, but be sure you have chosen one who is known and recommended. Check out TripAdvisor, too. Lots of good info about ports, restaurants, tour guides, etc. Definitely set your watch to ship time and do not rely on a cell phone/tablet for time!

If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, you can have a great time and enjoy the port.

My advice is to get off the ship as early as possible and plan to be back at least an hour and a half before sail away. Since you mentioned children, I would not wait for their schedule, I would plan to start my day as soon as possible so you can eliminate that "getting back to the ship late" scenario. They can nap on the beach or at the pool. As others have said, go to the port of calls board and look for recommended tour guides.

I'm not sure if I joined my roll call. I have to check. That's another good idea. I am sure after you have cruised for a while you are more trusting of independent travel companies, but I am still a little nervous. I am sure the CC forum will help though. Like you said, I wouldn't mind avoiding the overcrowded tours where you have 18 inner tubes all connected by a rope to go down some waterfall (one of the concerns mentioned on the RCCL review of an excursion). Thanks for the tips.

• 3 months later...

The most important thing to do when using an outside vendor is to take the ship's agent's name and phone number with you when you leave the ship. You will find it in the port information and/or the cruise calendar you receive from the ship for that day.

If you run into trouble, call the ship's agent, and let them know the problem. If you think you can get back to the ship but will be late, they will find out if the ship can wait for you. If you are stuck, they will help you find a way back to the ship!

The agent is there to help the cruise company, but that includes helping the passengers.

Before you start booking things...get a guidebook at your local library (or buy one) on your ports, and see ALL the things there are in each place. Many things don't require an excursion at all, if you know something about where you're going! Then, after you decide WHAT you want to do, if you still need help...ask about that specific thing!

Things like beaches and shopping almost NEVER need a guide! A guidebook will fill you in on transportation, beaches, food/drink, etc....

We never do excursions! A bit of research is all it takes.....and it's SOOOO much cheaper than hiring a guide!