Nervous about getting pool chairs

Baileyjojo

The whole chair subject really cracks me up. We were at an all inclusive resort and there were people in front of us who left to get drinks but their towels were still on the chairs. Some woman came and started to move them and I said some one was sitting there. She said no they were just too lazy to take there towels, so she moved the towels and plopped down. About 10 minutes later the people came back and were like ***. My dh & I were didn't know what to say except towels on chairs at all inclusives mean something other than what they mean on cruise ships.

I know that the "rule" about not being away from your sunbed for more than 30 minutes or the towels will be removed, have been a NCL policy for at least a couple of years now - but unfortunately rarely I see (or have heard about) any crew member enforce that rule. But on our last cruise on the Star in June there were actually signs posted on the walls around the pool area, where it stated that "reservation" of sunbeds was not allowed, and that towels would in that case be removed. (I don't remember the exact wording on the sign, but it was something similar to what I have described). But I can assure you that if I was looking for a sunbed around the pool myself, and saw sunbeds with only the towel on them and no-one around, I would ask people around if they knew it the sunbed had been "empty" for a long time. If that was the case, I would wait around for a little while, and after that I would just remove the towel. And when the person comes to me after an hour, complaining about me occupying his/her sunbed, I would just point them in the direction of the sign - and have absolutely no bad conscience for doing that....

But since I am one of those who always look for sunbeds in more quieter areas of the ship, I usually don't have that problem. The helicopter deck is my favorite, and believe it or not - there are always a few sunbeds up there, and usually NO people..... ;)

I'll also add... a recent review off of the Breakaway suggested doing the opposite of the masses to avoid crowding issues. Specific to pool chairs, the review stated that their group headed to the pool in the late afternoon and were able to find chairs that were abandoned by those done for the day.

If daytime chairs are important to you... it seems the routine is to get up before 8, claim your chairs, and return later.

I hate when people get on chairs and then leave. You should be able to get a chair and go to the pool or hot tubs as long as you want. But if you are leaving the designated area you should not be allowed to hold onto those chairs. I've had it happen to me where I will claim a chair get into the pool that is right near the chairs go back and my stuff will be gone. At the same time I've seen it happen many times where I'll find go to find chairs and all of them will be taken in the pool won't nearly be as full nor the hot tubs.

I'm sailing Breakaway this Sunday. I'm freaking out a little. From what I read it seems like it's so hard to get pool chairs unless you wake up at the crack of dawn. I am on vacation and don't want to be stressed out.. Please tell me I will be ok!

Don't sweat it.

1. If you want a deck chair and don't need it to be near the pool then I've never had a time when I couldn't get one in the sun or shade somewhere on the ship except one time on Carnival when literally every chair was reserved. Other than that one time, a chair was easily found and we've been on close to 20 cruises on all kinds of lines. So don't sweat it.

2. On the off chance you can't find a chair, follow my sure fire method for getting one. Look around for a sign that a chair is obviously hogged. They're easily spotted. You'll see it occupied by a book, hat, flip flop or some other object. Carefully remove said item, take the chair and re-locate it nearby. If ever the chair hog should return, the look of confusion will be priceless. He/she will see their item on the floor and won't have any idea who took their chair because you moved it. Best thing is, you get to sit back and smile, all the time knowing that you're the culprit and the hog will never know who did it. No confrontation, you get a chair and some free entertainment.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

The whole chair subject really cracks me up. We were at an all inclusive resort and there were people in front of us who left to get drinks but their towels were still on the chairs. Some woman came and started to move them and I said some one was sitting there. She said no they were just too lazy to take there towels, so she moved the towels and plopped down. About 10 minutes later the people came back and were like ***. My dh & I were didn't know what to say except towels on chairs at all inclusives mean something other than what they mean on cruise ships.

This happened to me at an all inclusive, I got up to use bathroom but left my towel, book, sunglasses, cover-up on chair & came back like 5 min later & this lady had dumped my stuff on the ground then acted like she could not speak English .... What can I say other than I showed her some hand gestures are universal ;)

This happened to me at an all inclusive, I got up to use bathroom but left my towel, book, sunglasses, cover-up on chair & came back like 5 min later & this lady had dumped my stuff on the ground then acted like she could not speak English .... What can I say other than I showed her some hand gestures are universal ;)

My brother and his wife do all inclusives every year and it can be real bad there. In fact, one year he told me there was a bunch of Germans who came prepared with a chain and a lock. At the end of every day they would take 6 of these chairs, hook them all together and chain them to a couple of palm trees near a good spot on the beach. Next day they would unlock them at their own leisure and take up the spot. My brother actually got a bolt cutter from somewhere and started unlocking them and using them in the morning. Ticked the Germans off, which was the goal of the entire exercise. :)

2. On the off chance you can't find a chair, follow my sure fire method for getting one. Look around for a sign that a chair is obviously hogged. They're easily spotted. You'll see it occupied by a book, hat, flip flop or some other object. Carefully remove said item, take the chair and re-locate it nearby. If ever the chair hog should return, the look of confusion will be priceless. He/she will see their item on the floor and won't have any idea who took their chair because you moved it. Best thing is, you get to sit back and smile, all the time knowing that you're the culprit and the hog will never know who did it. No confrontation, you get a chair and some free entertainment.

You are an evil genius!!!