Sailing during a holiday?

moongal

Has anyone ever sailed during a holiday? Because of my son's school schedule, I am considering 2 cruises. One we would be on the boat during Thanksgiving and the other we would be on the boat on New Years Eve.

What is the experience like? Is it a more party animal type crowd? (I imagine the New Years trip would be). Is the standard of service lower? (Because employees are disgruntled at having to work). Is there ever anything special done to acknowledge the holiday? I know most employees are from other countries but the entertainers and cruise directors are western, so was wondering if they took time off for the holiday so the entertainment might suffer?

If anyone has any input on their experiences I would appreciate it as I am having a hard time biting the bullet and booking.

Having 2 school age kids, we always cruise in school breaks and holidays. They did put holiday decoration out. And Santa was there too. The service was the same if not better.

The only down side is the price. I just checked the price this morning. For the cruise I am interested in, the inside is $700 pp for the Christmas week. For the same ship same cruise, $700 pp could buy us a suite if we could sail a week earlier.:(

Hi,

We sailed Thanksgiving week last year with 2 daughters. only missed 2 days of school.

Cruise was Great! Loved not having to cook and clean:) We loved it so much we are doing it again this year!!

Edited by shipsasailin

I've sailed at Halloween and very near Christmas. I didn't notice any change in the standard of service, nor did the staff seem disgruntled. Yes, decorations and special activities and shows. I've never cruised on TG, so I can't be of help to you on that.

My husband and I always sail over Thanksgiving - 6 times exactly. The only issue for us has been more children due to the school holiday. They have turkey and dressing in the MDR on Thanksgiving day which is usually pretty good. Most of the crew are from different countries and don't celebrate Thanksgiving anyway. Never an issue with service. And the weather in the Caribbean is always good in late November. That's a big plus!. Happy sailing.

We sailed over Thanksgiving. Main difference was that the ship was PACKED. No party animals. Just tons of families with small children. The lines for everything were considerably longer and there seemed to be a log jam everywhere throughout the ship and to tender to/from shore. We sailed on the same ship (Liberty) off season a few years later and the experience was completely more relaxed.

We have sailed for Thanksgiving a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The only issue we had was on the first one we were in Key West on Thanksgiving Day and some things were closed. We did go to Sloppy Joes and had conch fritters and beer on Thanksgiving Day which is always good. :)

We have cruised on Thanksgiving 15 times. This year will be our 16th. The only reason is because we own our business and have to vacation when we are slow since nobody pays for our vacation time off. :p Thanksgiving ships are FULL. Mostly with kids. The kids for the most part are well behaved and just having fun. I have noticed that they become less well behaved as the week wears on probably as they become more comfortable with the ship. Two years ago we were on the Dream out of Port Canaveral with 4500 passengers and 1500 of those were kids. Last year on the Celebrity Reflection, there were 400 kids. BIG difference. The staff is fantastic and always say "Happy Thanksgiving" with a big smile. We are the only ones who celebrate Thanksgiving but usually the folks on the ship will put up some modest decorations- a few cardboard turkeys and the like. Not having to cook is really nice and the traditional dinner will be offered. But, it is not just like your homemade turkey dinner so keep that in mind. Also, normally it is on the second formal night. The weather in the Caribbean is hit and miss as that is the end of hurricane season and we almost always get some rain. Some years it has been a lot of rain and some years just a few sprinkles.

We have cruised 2 times over Christmas. We are from the north and as far as im concerned there is nothing better than sitting at the seaside cinema with a cold adult beverage in shorts and tshirt on Christmas eve watching Its A Wonderful Life. Yes price is more but its worth it in just the experience of it all. Port decorated, ship decorated. Singing carols and snow machine in the Grand Atruim. Door decorating contests. If you can swing the cost i give it 2 thumbs up.

Edited by lw1993

We have been on one Christmas cruise, a St. Patrick's Day Spring Break cruise, and several NYE cruises. If we want to cruise with family, then holiday weeks are the only time we can--nearly all in our family are involved in education--teaching, coaching, administrative, or student. Holiday week cruising is more expensive--but if we are all together, then it is worth it to us.

The Christmas cruise was great and even the kids still talk about that as our best cruise. We gave gifts of cash and gift cards (easy to pack). The ship was decorated and you could always hear some Christmas music in the background. On Christmas eve, everyone gathered in the atrium area to sing Christmas carols--even Santa showed up--and real snow was falling from the top of the atrium.

NYE cruises are our favorite and we have another booked for this year on Triumph. Complimentary champagne, hats, and noise makers were provided. Each venue had some type of NYE celebration. The big party was on Lido leading up to midnight, when they blow the ship's horn--no fireworks, of course.

One of our cruises with the grandkids was their spring break which also had March 17, St. Patrick's Day. They did special St. Patrick's Day pictures and we brought our green t-shirts and green bead necklaces for the pictures. It was a really great cruise.

Here's hoping your holiday cruises are special too. Bon Voyage!

I have sailed over Ney Year's and July 4th. The crew made sure we enjoyed our cruise and the holiday was special. I would sail on a holiday again if given the opportunity. The party atmosphere wasn't a drunken rave but more of a festive gathering.

Edited by cfitch

Cruised this past Thanksgiving with my family and had the best time. There were lots of families cruising with us. We were on RCCL . Holiday cruises have lots of families and couples but we didn't see any wild partying that you may see on short cruises. The staff was wonderful.

We have sailed for many years over Christmas and/or New Years. We have found that large family groups (think extended, multi-generational) are the norm, along with couples without kids, lots of single parents with adult children. It is not the "party" atmosphere that you might assume. There are lots of children as well.

I have never seen crew disgruntled because they are having to work! They have lots of crew parties and get togethers going on as well. Plus, passengers are generally happy and generous.

When you board, champagne is handed out. It is nice touch. That said, the decorations are low key. You will know it is Christmas and or New Years but it is not a huge in-your-face affair. The New Years party on the ship is lots of fun!

The only downside is those are the most two expensive weeks to cruise all year long! We book early!