Vesuvius and Pompeii DIYA in a day?

Doughty3

It should be simple to organise, get off the ship as soon as possible once the ship has docked, get the tram from the port to Porta Nolana station and take the train to Pompei Scavi station. From there you can either do Pompei first allowing two to three hours to see the main sights. You then leave the Pompei complex through the entrance nearest to the train station. A shuttle bus from Busvia deal Vesuvio will take you from the station to the national park entrance where a 4*4 vehicle like the one below will take you to a car park near the crater, allow you an hour to look around the crater and return you back to the train station, from there you can then take the train back from there to Porta Nolana and the tram back to the ship. Total cost would around €40 each for both Pompeii and Vesuvius. You will need to allow about seven hours for both sights plus the train and tram journeys and allow enough time to ensure you arrive back to the ship on time, allow enough time for any train delays.

I would recommend getting the Rick Steves Mediterranean cruise guide as this will explain in full detail how to do the above itinerary and where to buy tickets etc.

ImageUploadedByForums1438193125.256297.jpg.0a368d384d76439851edeb35b28ea346.jpg

There are other ways to do this, and other considerations.

First and foremost is the weather. If it's overcast in the morning you might as well postpone Vesuvio until the afternoon and hope that it clears up. On the other hand, if it's clear in the morning I'd head right to Vesuvio rather than risk the weather changing later in the day.

If you are going to Pompei first it's easier to take the bus, which starts its run inside the port area about a third of a mile from the cruise port. Same price as the train but you are pretty much guaranteed a seat and the AC actually works.

If you go to Vesuvio first take the Circumvesuviana to Ercolano Scavi, get off there and go to the Vesuvio Express office in the piazza in front of the train station where you can arrange the van tour up to the crater. It will return you to the train station and you can continue on to Pompei.

If you've been to Pompei first you can either take the public bus to Vesuvio (€10 per person, round trip) or you can arrange a van tour from the Circumvesuviana station.

The above post is correct that there is a bus from the port however with this you will need to take into account for traffic and allow additional time for this. Also from looking at timetables, I believe there aren't any departures between 8.30am and 10am for this bus.

Also from looking at tripadvisor, it appears that reviews aren't as good for Vesuvio express as they are for busvia del Vesuvio and the vehicles that the Vesuvio express use will not take you as close to the crater as busvia will. Vesuvio express does not include the entrance to the cone of the volcano which I believe is around €11

You can either do Pompeii first or Vesuvius first depending on weather conditions and if you board the circumvesuviana train at porta nolana, it is easier to guarantee a seat as it is the first stop for the train

Yes, the bus only works for those with a 7 AM arrival as the only departure that makes sense is the 8 AM. While traffic is always a possibility I've never encountered any problems using the bus, and I've done it several times.

Both bus/van options as well as the public bus leave you at the same point, it's pedestrian from that point on other than emergency vehicles. The walk is one mile from the parking lot to the edge of the crater, almost entirely and steeply uphill on loose gravel.

Edited by euro cruiser