Popping the question on a cruise

Heronymous

The gentleman who will do me the honor of marrying me in six hours (today!) proposed to me in LeBistro on our last cruise last October 1. We're rather private people, and he's not one to celebrate something like this in front of a large group of people, but if he had, I'd've been crying so much I wouldn't have been able to answer.

We're getting married sixteen years to the day of our first date. Society forced a very long courtship; changes in society allowed this to finally happen.

--Michael

Oops, quoted the wrong post. Congratulations to you both :) x x

I was thinking of popping the question on the cruise (I know the answer will be yes), and wondering if anyone has done, or seen this done before? I'm trying to think of some creative way to do this and make it special. I don't want to do it if this is commonplace and I'm just yet another guy doing it, but if it's not... I'm thinking of seeing if NCL can maybe facilitate some way to help me and make it fun. My PCC said he was going to reach out to the event coordinator but I haven't heard anything yet.. Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about doing something like this?

-Keith

My brother did this on an Alaska cruise. IIRC he did it on their verandah out of the view of prying eyes.

numberguy / Michael -- congrats & best wishes . . .hopefully you are off on your HM & not reading this right now. ;)

Heronymous -- DH proposed to me in Cagney's on the Gem. We had a table / booth in a corner. He had asked the hostess there to help him. The ring came out under a dome on a bed of roses. The seas were pretty rough so there was no bended knee (sniff). A lot of people must have been in on it because all day long I was asked if I was looking forward to dinner. I was like it's a cruise ship. There's food everywhere. What's so special about dinner? My meal wasn't to my liking that night & since the wait staff knew what was coming, they were freaking because I didn't like my food. They kept bringing me appetizers & sides I did like. They sent out the chef who made me his favorite dish which wasn't on any menu. I was so stuffed when the "dessert" came out under the dome I tried to send it away because I was soooo stuffed.

We went back there for our 5th wedding anniversary & the Hotel Director, Jenny, got us the same table. That was sort of a p.i.t.a. because everybody else kept telling me they couldn't reserve a specific table.

One of the better public proposals I have ever seen was a couple getting their photo taken in the atrium on "formal night" (don't bug me right now about what NCL calls it). Anyway in front of a room full of professional photographers many of whom were in on it, he gets on bended knee & pops the question. They had multiple angles of her crying & saying yes.

On these boards I also read about a couple getting engaged on stage at the not so newlywed game

If you want to propose in a public setting, perhaps during one of the shows they could "work you into the act". Talking to the cruise director for help is a great idea if you'd want to do something like that.

If you're looking for something more private, you could certainly arrange a lovely dinner at one of the specialty restaurants.

Wishing you much happiness and if you do propose on board, hope you'll come back and tell us all about it.

Tracy

Somewhere on here I read about this being done, and it was a BIG hit.

But if you do something "public", PLEASE be sure that you know she would like this in public.

Some of us would prefer a bit more privacy.

And... be SURE you KNOW the answer will indeed be yes, or..."awkward"!

And an early "Best Wishes"!

GeezerCouple

Lol thanks for the advice... I am a million percent sure the answer will be yes, and confident doing it in public won't be an issue. She isn't a computer person and had no idea this forum exists :)

My PCC is on vacation it seems so hopefully next week I'll get a response from him about the cruise director.

• 1 month later...