Food allergies on board?

ducklite

I have some pretty significant food allergies that are easy to avoid for the kitchen, as long as they know in advance. Is there a special services type number I can call in advance to speak to someone at RCCL to discuss this?

(I also need any feathers/down removed from my cabin before I arrive)

Anne

I'm pretty sure either you or you TA can call customer service with these requests, it should be similar to those who order kosher meals. Though if your allergies are severe definately make them clear to your waiter every time you order. I'm sure this must be a hassel but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Anne

If you booked with a local TA or with RCL direct, I would have them handle this situation with RCL. If you booked on your own, I would go to the RCL website, go to Customer Support and click on contact us. Below there you will find a blue bar to the right that says need help. Below this you will see an email area. From there click on that and email them direct.

Hopefully this will take care of it.

Tim

The sugggestions thus far are good but let me stress the need to advise the head-waiter for your area and/or Maitre'd of your food allergies. Some times language challenges with wait staff fail to translate concerns sufficiently. BZ

My son is fatally allergic to peanut and peanut products including peanut oil. To a lesser degree he is allergic to tree nuts as well. We speak to our Waiter and the Head Waiter and ask them to consult with the kitchens if there are questions regarding ingredients. My son is 15 and knows what to avoid so the Windjammer is not a problem for him. A younger child would need close supervision in the Windjammer or other eatery onboard.

I just copied this off of the RCCL website. If you go to their page and click on site search, then read the list until you come to special foods on RCCL you can check on all the different foods they can provide to you. But it says you should let them know in advance.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

I decided to bring it to you.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/search/processSearch.do;jsessionid=0000Dc91zQcDK62HKQqypMAvV-J:10ktmf25f?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstruct-new222.dmz.rccl.com%3A200&ip_text=food+allergies&x=51&y=5

FOOD ALLERGIES

Most food allergies can be accommodated. Please e-mail a notice to foodallergies@rccl.com and provide the name of passenger(s) with the allergies, their individual guest reservation numbers, vessel name, and voyage date. Please also supply specific information about the types of allergies and any special requirements. You may send a fax request to (305) 539-6018 attn: Special Meals Request - Culinary Operations. Please be advised that faxed requests will not receive a response unless an e-mail address is provided.

Please Note: Guests are not allowed to bring on board any food items other than dry, nonperishable snack items (cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc).

Our 7 year old son has severe food allergies -dairy, egg, nuts and peanuts. When I contacted RCCL, I was told that only the main dining room would be able to accommodate his needs. We ate at Johnny Rockets and Windjammer just fine. Johnny Rockets uses soy oil to fry the french fries, which was great. At the start of the Windjammer buffet line, there is a note that says if you have food allergies to contact a supervisor. When I did, a chef came out to help us. The chef offered to go around the buffet lines with us! He told me which items contained butter or eggs. I was so impressed that he took the time to give us personalized service. He then brought out steamed vegies for my son, as the vegies were tossed in butter. There was one peanut sauce item last week, but otherwise no peanuts in the items, except for cookies and desserts.

There is no food allowed in Adventure Ocean. We had a pager for our 3 year old, so I wrote down the pager number when I checked my son in. I also would leave his Epi Pen Jr with him.

I was very comfortable with the ship's knowledge and understanding of food allergies.

I just copied this off of the RCCL website. If you go to their page and click on site search, then read the list until you come to special foods on RCCL you can check on all the different foods they can provide to you. But it says you should let them know in advance.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

I decided to bring it to you.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/search/processSearch.do;jsessionid=0000Dc91zQcDK62HKQqypMAvV-J:10ktmf25f?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstruct-new222.dmz.rccl.com%3A200&ip_text=food+allergies&x=51&y=5

FOOD ALLERGIES

Most food allergies can be accommodated. Please e-mail a notice to foodallergies@rccl.com and provide the name of passenger(s) with the allergies, their individual guest reservation numbers, vessel name, and voyage date. Please also supply specific information about the types of allergies and any special requirements. You may send a fax request to (305) 539-6018 attn: Special Meals Request - Culinary Operations. Please be advised that faxed requests will not receive a response unless an e-mail address is provided.

Please Note: Guests are not allowed to bring on board any food items other than dry, nonperishable snack items (cookies, crackers, chips, energy bars, etc).

PERFECT! Thanks!!!!!

Anne

Hit send to fast then got distracted and it was too late to edit when I got back. Here's the rest of my reply:

I sent them an e-mail outlining my allergies. (I have life threatening allergies to some tree nuts, am allergic to all tree nuts, pine nuts, and a host of other things, including coconut which is often a "hidden ingredient"). It's pretty easy to manage, as long as they understand cross contamination and hidden ingredients.

I will also speak to the head waiter--when should I do this? DInner the first night? Before? Where would I find this person if I wanted to speak to them say in the afternoon when we board?

I'm bringing along some "safe" snack bars to take on shore excursions.

Again thanks to everyone for your advice!

Anne

I too have severe food allergies... to all nuts (peanuts and tree nuts) and all seafood (fish and shellfish) and plenty of other misc. things thrown in...

I sent my email and the auto-reply made mention of speaking to the head waiter when I board the ship to make sure all is in order, etc. It also mentioned that the Windjammer was not allergy-free... but I'm pretty diligent in watching food being prepared and handled and if it looks like something (a serving spoon for example) has touched fish and then something else, I won't use it or eat the item in question.

That being said -- I carry an Epi-Pen and I've been told by people in the "know" that I should be carrying 2 of them, since the 1st one doesn't always do the job. (This would explain why they are packaged in boxes of 2 from the pharmacy now.) Also, carry liquid Benadryl -- it works much faster than the pill form in cases where the Epi-Pen would be more cure than you need. (I'll know that I got something with a nut in it when my throat starts to close - if that's my only symptom, I take Benadryl because I know my reactions.)

And as I've read here frequently -- make sure you carry all your prescriptions with the labels on them to avoid any problems. Not terribly convenient but better than having the items questioned.

Sandy

The person who seems to in charge of this is Clay Carrier CCarrier@RCCL.com I worked with him prior to my August sailing.

I have to say, RC was not as good as Disney in the food allergy department. When I arrived onboard Disney they all knew and were very proactive. On RC I had to continually ask and the waiters I was assigned seemed to know nothing when I arrived onboard.

Right after you board head to the main dining room. There will be someone with the wine selections there as well as the Maitre D. Just talk to him then. There may be a line as people will be checking and changing their dining assingments but this is a good time to talk to them because they are not trying to feed 3000 people! They will also have the seating charts there so they can note it right then.

Archived