Passport with Maiden Name

TXCrusier

If I have a valid passport with my maiden name, but all of my other documentation shows my married name, can I just bring my marriage license to keep it valid for my upcoming cruise? I am cruising in October and plan on having the passport ammended when I return.

Yep, that's exactly what I did for our first 7 cruises (it took me 5 years to finally amend my passport!). This past time, they didn't even LOOK in the back, where it's amended. So, apparently, they didn't really care that the name on my passport was different than my cruise docs! But just to be safe, your marraige license is all you need to verify the name change.

Thanks chrisnsteph1022 and ssoceo for your quick replies.

We are going to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral so I am not too concerned.

My wife had the same problem and her passport is over 8 years old. She just never bothered to change her name.

Take your marriage license with you but what they did was change her name in the reservation system to her maiden name so her seapass actually had her maiden name on it. It did pose a little delay at embarkation. Your id has to match your name on the reservation. If you do that before checking in, you'll have no issues.

Why dont you just book then in your maiden name? Makes sense to me.

i recently got married and couldnt be bothered to change my passport to my new name. However I make sure I book any holidays/trips in my maiden name in other words the name of my passport. Saves the hassle.

Just a little bit off the subject, but starting Monday, September 26th, you will no longer be able to amend a passport with a name change, if the passport was issued over 1 year ago.

You will have to renew your passport and this will cost $67.00 and new photos. Even if you have had the passport less than 1 year, you will need to send in new pictures to amend your passport.

We just got notified by the State Department last Saturday. Information should be on their web site soon, if it isn't on there now. http://www.travel.state.gov

The new amendment forms won't be available until Monday. Check their website.

dmhoul, do you think that would cause problems for those who have had their passports ammended. I had mine done about 2 years ago and they just typed in the back that it was ammended on a certain date to change my name to my married. It doesn't look official at all. I've used it in Vancouver and Miami before boarding cruises since then. I don't need to renew for another 3 years.

Archived