Refrigerator for storing insulin

authementfly1

I just wanted to point out that putting insulin in ice buckets is not the best idea. I have been on 6 different types of insulin, and have used both pens and vials. Every single type of insulin I have used says to throw out the insulin immediately if it freezes. On the other hand, all of my vials have had shelf life's of at least 30 days upon reaching room temperature. All of my pens have had shelf life's ranging from 14 days to 30 days upon reaching room temperature. Room temperature on most brands of insulin is considered to be in the range of 50 degrees F to 100 degrees F.

Y

The insulin won't freeze, however, if it is wrapped in a hand towel or facecloth, and put into a ziplock bag. At least in my journeys, both by cruise and hotels, etc.

I wish people stop playing doctor/nurse when the obviously don't have a clue what they are talking about. Yes it can be out for up to 28 days, but that is NOT the reason you keep it in the fridge, you have to keep it at a temperature that is specific to each drug. Aka mine is below 70 degrees(not good left out if the cabin or outside is above that, I always keep a ice gel pack with my insulin tote I bring with me out anywhere that I know is hot) or above 40 degrees. If it deviate in temperature they make the drug useless and could be a life threatening situation. So please STOP playing doctor if you are not one.

I like to play doctor....;)

Today, most insulin does not require refrigeration for 28 days. Insulin is better taken at room temperature. An ice bucket is a bad idea. But if you feel it should be refrigerated there is one at guest services.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

I wish people stop playing doctor/nurse when the obviously don't have a clue what they are talking about. Yes it can be out for up to 28 days, but that is NOT the reason you keep it in the fridge, you have to keep it at a temperature that is specific to each drug. Aka mine is below 70 degrees(not good left out if the cabin or outside is above that, I always keep a ice gel pack with my insulin tote I bring with me out anywhere that I know is hot) or above 40 degrees. If it deviate in temperature they make the drug useless and could be a life threatening situation. So please STOP playing doctor if you are not one.

I AM a doctor! In my post I suggested checking with your pharmacist because I don't know what kind of insulin the OP is on. For instance if it's lantus it should be kept at room temperature but at a temperature less than 86 degrees Fahrenheit for a period of up to 28 days and then thrown away if not used within that time. The lantus should be brought to room temperature for use. And once brought to room temperature and in use should not be refrigerated again. And by the way I don't know if he's a doctor but Purvis1231 is correct.

Edited by Jana60

Y

The insulin won't freeze, however, if it is wrapped in a hand towel or facecloth, and put into a ziplock bag. At least in my journeys, both by cruise and hotels, etc.

Admittedly, I am a little paranoid about freezing insulin. If it gets frozen, it's bad. It must be discarded without any window to use it. Depending on your supply, you may find yourself immediately SOL and without insulin. I don't know about you, but when i am low on insulin, I try to do damage control through slowly a and continuously walking, drinking tons of plain water, and eating nothing but lettuce and plain meat until I can get more insulin. That's not my idea of a fun vacay.

If my insulin came to room temperature earlier than needed, I would have at least 2 weeks to figure out how to get more. This should be manageable on most cruises.

Your method is probably safe with the layers of insulation between the insulin and the ice. (I would be cautious of doing this if the ambient temperature of the room were below 65 degrees or so.) However, not everyone thinks things through. I would hate for someone to read the posts about putting insulin in ice, and just throw some pens straight in an ice bucket. I am sure they would ruin their supply by doing that.

I AM a doctor! In my post I suggested checking with your pharmacist because I don't know what kind of insulin the OP is on. For instance if it's lantus it should be kept at room temperature but at a temperature less than 86 degrees Fahrenheit for a period of up to 28 days and then thrown away if not used within that time. The lantus should be brought to room temperature for use. And once brought to room temperature and in use should not be refrigerated again. And by the way I don't know if he's a doctor but Purvis1231 is correct.

This post is awesome, Dr Jana!

It's also beyond correct. I have used some insulin mix pens, and they have a much shorter life than 28 days. There are papers in the boxes with little teeny tiny fine print that tells us all this info. Or, you can just ask the friendly neighborhood pharmacist, and they will tell you EVERYTHING about your medicines (prescription or OTC) even the stuff you don't want to know.