Captain Marvin vs DCL Grand Cayman

Dismomx5

We're on a late fall western Caribbean with a stop at Grand Cayman. I'm looking to do an Island Tour (including Hell/Turtle Farm) and Stingray City. Cost for the tours is close to the same. Has anyone done either/both of these to give me some idea of which would be a better fit for DH and myself? Thinking, vehicles, timing, snacks, numbers. Thanks for any input!

We did the island tour with Captain Marvin's. I've also done the 1/2 day snorkel tour with them.

Our "group" for the island tour was basically the 6 of us plus another group of 3 elderly ladies traveling together...so total 9 guests + a driver. We had a van that was probably geared for 12 passengers. We had plenty of time at each stop. The driver took us to our guide at the turtle farm, told us how long the tour would be and that then we would have some "free time" to explore and he would pick us up right by the entrance at X time. We never encountered the "big bus" DCL group at any stop, and with the exception of the turtle farm and Stingray City, we were the only group at each place. We saw the governor's house, stopped for pics at 7 Mile Beach, a longer stop at Hell, and a rum tasting place. My opinion, could have skipped the rum store. In addition, the driver offered us the choice of being returned to the tender port or to one of the main beaches, so if you wanted to do a morning tour and a beach afternoon, you just saved transportation cost/hassle one way. The drive caught an iguana for the kids to pet, gave us a nice island history/commentary along the drive, etc.

We were very pleased with the driver and the service...and would happily book with Captain Marvin's again.

Finding them is very simple--go to the entrance of the tender terminal and look slightly to the left and across the street. If you don't see the Captain Marvin's sign, you can't miss the Dairy Queen sign. Captain Marvin's is closer to you than the DQ. This is where you pay and are picked up. You use a credit card to book, but they don't charge it. You are not charged at all if for any reason the ship cannot tender. When you get to their location, you can either pay cash or tell them to charge your card. If the ship gets in but you don't show up, they will charge your card (I have no personal experience with this.)

CM web site offers a couple of departure times. If these don't fit with your ship scheduled hours, e-mail them. They will offer alternative departure times if needed to suit the ship hours for your cruise. We could get snacks at the rum place, and MAYBE we were given a bottle of water. Otherwise, you want snacks, you bring them.

Edited by moki'smommy

I did all three on a Carnival cruise years ago. I must say that I would not waste your time going to hell, it is a bunch of rocks behind the post office. The turtle farm was ok, but I think I would enjoy more now that I have kids. String Ray City was a great experience. If I return to Grand Cayman I would probably do String Ray City again or just spend the day at the beach.

I've heard that about Hell, but it will please my hubby to pieces to say that we have been to Hell and back. :D I'm a teacher, and I'm looking forward to the turtle farm-just a kid at heart. :) Thanks for the input! I've booked Captain Marvin.....one more thing done! (Now, I am hoping for the Canadian $ to get a little stronger.)

Edited by Dismomx5

I've heard that about Hell, but it will please my hubby to pieces to say that we have been to Hell and back. :D I'm a teacher, and I'm looking forward to the turtle farm-just a kid at heart. :) Thanks for the input! I've booked Captain Marvin.....one more thing done! (Now, I am hoping for the Canadian $ to get a little stronger.)

He can buy one of the hundreds of t-shirts with sayings about hell on them...and he can mail a post card from Hell if desired. The post office will take US dollars, but only gives change in Cayman dollars (which have no value outside of the Cayman islands). Therefore, be sure you have change or small bills. When we were there, a postcard was 26 cents US (which was cheaper than mailing one within the US at the time.)